Wiki Posts
Search

Lipo Regulator Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 08:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Lipo Regulator Question

Guys, switching over from nimh batteries on my buggy to lipos. I am looking at a losi regular that says without switch. I am a newbie when it comes to lipos and regulators. What does it mean without switch? That the regulator doesn't have a switch or is it to be used with buggies that have the switched bypassed. In other words directly connected.

Also, should I get one with auto cutoff or not?

Thanks.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Pete, the non switch regualtor doesn't have the on/off switch. It has Hitec ends on the battery & Rx side.

The switched ones have a on/off switch attached in between the regulator and battery plug. This version uses a small JST plug on the battery side that fits the Losi Lipo and a Hitec end on the Rx side.

Both are 6v/5 amp rated.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:46 AM
Tech Regular

Can anyone tell me if the novak 6V-3A reg has a lo voltage cutout or not?
Old 05-31-2008, 12:54 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 34 (97%+)

The switch on the losi regulator is pretty weak too. I would say get the one without the switch and put a better switch in-line or no switch (just remember to unplug it).
Old 05-31-2008, 02:11 AM
Tech Champion

This is 5 amp Novak lipo regulator with lipo low voltage cut off.

Product # and name : #5473 , 5-Amp BEC with Li-Po Monitor.

Don't mistaken with 5-Amp Universal BEC #5465 . This doesn't come with lipo monitoring.
Old 05-31-2008, 06:34 AM
Tech Master

Thanks guys, I appreciate the info!
Old 05-31-2008, 07:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Make sure the switch is between the regulator and the battery. The regulator has an led inside that is constantly on when it has power. If you clip the power to the receiver after the regulator the regulator will still have power and the led will still be on. If this happens it will run the lipo dead and destroy it.

That's the only good thing about the lipo regulator with switch, it is already in the correct spot. I have two Losi lipo's, one for each car. One has a switch and one is the non switch regulator. Both seem to work well.

This one is in my RC8 and has the built in switch.

Old 05-31-2008, 11:45 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

most regulator's instructions blatently state to NOT leave the battery plugged in for any length of time when not in use as it may trickle a wee bit of power and kill the pack....for the inconvenience of having to open the Rx box...or make the leads short/long enuff to plug in outside of the box Imo is the way to go....that way u NEVER have to worry about a switch going bad and causing a runaway...Nor do u have to worry about "forgetting" to unplug the battery INside the Rx box at the end of the day....here's my set-up on my 8T.

Old 05-31-2008, 06:05 PM
Tech Master

Pics also, man this really helps. Appreciate it guys.
Old 05-31-2008, 06:14 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by petevette
Pics also, man this really helps. Appreciate it guys.

No problem dood...i was too in the same boat as u....just wanting Pics of a set-up so i could base some idea's off of.....chk my Photobucket for more pics of my gear....there might be more idea's u can use.
Old 05-31-2008, 06:44 PM
Tech Master

The battery box is a much better place to put the regulator as it fits up in the hump perfectly. Keep your battery power in the battery box and your receiver in the receiver box, like it is supposed to be.

Old 05-31-2008, 06:53 PM
Tech Lord

i see quite a few rub marks. ...and imo with 2.4 it dosent matter where the regulator goes....and its kinda a mute point anyways as u blatently show your previous pics with lipo, RX, and regulator All in the same spot.
Old 05-31-2008, 06:59 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Integra
i see quite a few rub marks. ...and imo with 2.4 it dosent matter where the regulator goes....and its kinda a mute point anyways as u blatently show your previous pics with lipo, RX, and regulator All in the same spot.

How did I know you'd troll your way behind me AGAIN as you have for 2 weeks now? You must think I'm cute or something. I don't swing that way little fella.

Your reading skills need some improving if you are going to make a habit of following me around. Let me put it in bold for you since you missed it the first time.

Do you know what an RC8 is? It's a little buggy made by Associated. Has 4 wheels, runs around on nitro power. Popular...... most people know what they look like and the fact they have one single battery/receiver box.

Losi does this neat little thing where they put a box in the back and mark it "battery" (I know... freaking cool right?) and another in the front they mark receiver. Each serves a purpose. Amazing I know.

I don't need another stray following me around on every thread trying to argue with me on every post, take a hike and go find your real daddy.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:45 PM
Tech Lord

Go toot ur horn somwhere else.
Old 05-31-2008, 09:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Revo-lution
How did I know you'd troll your way behind me AGAIN as you have for 2 weeks now? You must think I'm cute or something. I don't swing that way little fella.

Your reading skills need some improving if you are going to make a habit of following me around. Let me put it in bold for you since you missed it the first time.

Do you know what an RC8 is? It's a little buggy made by Associated. Has 4 wheels, runs around on nitro power. Popular...... most people know what they look like and the fact they have one single battery/receiver box.

Losi does this neat little thing where they put a box in the back and mark it "battery" (I know... freaking cool right?) and another in the front they mark receiver. Each serves a purpose. Amazing I know.

I don't need another stray following me around on every thread trying to argue with me on every post, take a hike and go find your real daddy.

LOL You're a pretty cool guy HUH? "Mr. I think I'm smart I bet". I can not wait until your heat shrink rubs through to the battery and your li-po on your Eight T explodes. Make sure to get some video or pictures when it happens.
That’s a top notch wiring job there in your first Pic to VERY IMPRESSIVE. I think I would be ashamed to post a picture like that, and then try to imply that some one else isn't smart.
I think Integra has you beat there and I would just stop posting, because everything he said was right on the money.

To the original poster You don't have to have a switch I used the switch that came with my Radio and I UN-PLUG the battery.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.