Community
Wiki Posts
Search

big problem with glitchy servo

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 07:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default big problem with glitchy servo...UPDATED!!!

tonight i brought my buggy out to race and after a few mins i finally got it started and was warming it up and twice my throttle servo stuck wide open and i have no idea why. im not sure if the receiver got hot or if my servo is faulty if i got bad reception or what but it was still sitting on the starter box so i killed it but any help would be appreciated guys

my setup
os speed
spektrum DX3.0 w/ stock uncut antenna receiver
Protek LiPo
Protek Regulator
hitec 5965 throttle brake servo

Last edited by egobuster1; 11-02-2008 at 12:24 PM.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

i would start with the lipo and regulator.. .i have read that a lot of people have had similar issues..
Old 10-24-2008, 08:20 PM
Tech Regular

well what should i do with them as they seem to be working fine
Old 10-24-2008, 08:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by egobuster1
well what should i do with them as they seem to be working fine

that does not mean that they are working fine.. try bypassing the regulator and use a standard rec pack and see what happens.. this is just my opinion of course but that is a cheap way to test things out
Old 10-24-2008, 08:34 PM
Tech Regular

ya i could try that but wen the buggy is just sitting like when i got it home i couldnt get it to glitch or stick or anything but once the motor got to temp it started getting glitchy and sticking wide open which is making me belive the receiver is getting hot.

could that cause it??
Old 10-24-2008, 09:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

you could just unhook the servo from the engine and just with the controller go back and forth untill maybe you get a glitch. its prolly not your engine heating its just the time it takes to heat up your engine your servo might start to bind, maybe just take it apart and look at it
Old 10-24-2008, 09:20 PM
Tech Regular

well i bought this servo used and it had to be sent in for warranty repairs for a bad motor right before i bought it so maybe its acting up again.

i took it and just went back and forth for about 10 mins and it didnt do anything and that was with the engine not running
Old 10-24-2008, 09:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

check your receiver, instead of it being plugged into the second slot go to the first and use the wheel on your transmitter to make it go back and forth and see if the 2nd port on your receiver is going fuzzy
Old 10-24-2008, 09:35 PM
Tech Regular

i think tomomrow im gonna try just sitting there moving it and seeing what it does if its smooth ima take a hair dryer and heat the receiver up a little bit like if the motor was running and see what happens and if it does it again ima try a different servo..i think this one is gonna take some time to figure out
Old 10-25-2008, 04:36 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Just a thought, but you could be getting some sort of interference from your engine. If the servo does not act up while the engine is off, That would suggest some engine interference. I wouldnt heat up the reciever until you've eliminated everything else. Hope this helps. Btw if you're the kid from crcrc I will be there this coming friday and can help ya out.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:34 AM
Tech Regular

ya i am from crcrc and ive never heard of engine interfirence. so should i try like mounting my receiver somewhere else and seeing if it work
Old 10-25-2008, 07:36 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

the motor heatingup and causing it is kinda weird I had a bad switch that was causing mine just a thought
Old 10-25-2008, 07:41 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I had a buddy that just went through a similar issue with his lipos and reg. It appeared like the reciever and servo was the problem but come to find out it was actually the regulator. As someone else stated try using a normal rec pack and see if the issue goes away with the engine running.

What we found with his was the reg would get hot when the motor was running. It wasnt getting enough air flow to keep it cool so it would shut down and with no mechanical failsafe his throttle would open up just like yours.

This little problem wound up costing him two regs. Although they work they dont handle the current near as well as the use to and heat up much quicker causing them to shutoff when they shouldnt.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:44 AM
Tech Regular

man this sucks cuz there could be so many different thing. i dont run a switch so thats eliminated

i have my regulator mounted on the outside of my receiver box for that reason so it stays cooler but the buggy wasnt moving when i was warming the engine up. still doesnt seem like that should be the problem but i guess it could be.

maybe ill take the pack out of my revo and try it
Old 10-25-2008, 12:42 PM
Tech Regular

ok guys after some testing it seems that its something to do with the regulator.
i went down and for the first 15mins just sat and throttle and turned the wheels and was fine then i kept feeling the regulator and i noticed the regulator started to get hot after about 20 mins and the throttle servo started acting up and it was sticking wide open for up to 10 second sometimes but the steering servo didnt act up at all. it seems as if the throttle servo doesnt like to be under load as when it sits neutral it makes a digital beeping noise and when i go wide open and let off it stops making the noise and sticks for a few secs then will go back to neutral.

so my question is do i need to try resetting my servo horn so there isnt as much load under neutral or should i get a new servo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.