Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hudy set up station

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 09:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

A good board to use is a piece of Formica shelving. Very straight and durable. You can even pencil lines and notes on it and erase them later. I threw a piece of 16gauge angle on one end for a wheel stop. Works good just as good as my Hudy I had and that's why I sold it.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC-ZOMBIE
can you please post pic?
Here you go... Sorry for the crude sketch, but I'm in Chicago for work at the moment, and my Truggy is at home.

Remember, when using this method, each wheel is half of the total toe (i.e. if you want 2.0 deg. of toe, each wheel is 1.0 deg.)

(Edit - after further research, the statement above applies to full size cars only. For RC, if you want 2.0 deg. of toe, set each wheel to 2.0 deg).
Attached Thumbnails Hudy set up station-rpm-toe-gage.jpg  

Last edited by Stubbs; 05-27-2011 at 04:37 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Stubbs
Here you go... Sorry for the crude sketch, but I'm in Chicago for work at the moment, and my Truggy is at home.

Remember, when using this method, each wheel is half of the total toe (i.e. if you want 2.0 deg. of toe, each wheel is 1.0 deg.)
Thanks, and your drawing is great!
Old 04-28-2010, 10:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I have one and LOVE it. It gets your vehicle to 100% ready, and takes all the guess work out of all setup issues.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

No need to eyeball toe....that RPM camber gage works good for that too. Just get a piece of 1 x 4 long enough to extend about 4" past each wheel. The turn your radio on, make sure the servo is centered, and push the 1 x 4 up against the back edge of your front tires. You can then lay the camber gage on its side, put the bottom edge against the wood, and measure toe angle like you would measure camber.

Once you do it a couple of times, it gets really easy. The trick is doing it with the power on, otherwise your servo keeps moving all over the place, and you can't get an accurate reading. Let me know if you need any further explanation...maybe I can post a picture if any of this sounds confusing.
Makes total sense and I was thinking of making up a set up board with something like that incoorperated..
Old 05-25-2011, 04:24 AM
Tech Addict

This is a great idea! I wish I would have thought of it! I have the RPM toe gauge but it doesn't work all that great on my monster trucks or the 8ight-T but the camber gauge trick looks awesome! I will definitely try this out since I already have that gauge also - it looks like it will be much more accurate than the toe gauge and it has the large reference numbers which should be easy to get it very close to where you want it!
Old 05-25-2011, 05:18 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by dnebout
A good board to use is a piece of Formica shelving. Very straight and durable. You can even pencil lines and notes on it and erase them later. I threw a piece of 16gauge angle on one end for a wheel stop. Works good just as good as my Hudy I had and that's why I sold it.

To bad for me this wasn't posted a couple of days ago, I just ordered the set-up tool by Hudy. What do you mean each wheel is half the total toe? I thought if you want 2.0 deg. toe in or out you set each wheel 2.0 deg. Who knew? Thats good to know cause I would have been running twice as much toe.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:42 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ramjesr
To bad for me this wasn't posted a couple of days ago, I just ordered the set-up tool by Hudy. What do you mean each wheel is half the total toe? I thought if you want 2.0 deg. toe in or out you set each wheel 2.0 deg. Who knew? Thats good to know cause I would have been running twice as much toe.
I would like to know about this also and tyvm for the picture.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:29 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by ramjesr
I thought it was 2.0 total but it appears it should be 2.0 degrees out for each side!

Last edited by Jake C6R; 05-25-2011 at 10:51 AM. Reason: I was wrong!
Old 05-25-2011, 06:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Been a year since I originally posted that sketch...nice to see folks are still getting use out of it.

During that time, I've doen a bit more research. On full size cars, total toe is indeed the sum of L & R. However, RC cars seem to be different. I checked the rear wheels on a number of different manufacturers, using the toe plates specified for different toe angles.

On all of the cars that I've measured, the measurement listed on the toe plate (2.0, 2.5, 3.0, etc...) turned out to be the value in degrees AT EACH WHEEL. So, I can only assume that the same logic should be applied to the front end as well.

I've been setting my toe using the camber gauge method for many months. I now use the reading on the camber gauge as the toe on each front wheel (ex. if you want 3.0 degrees of toe, set the camber gauge to 3.0 deg, and adjust each wheel to match).

Thanks....
Old 05-25-2011, 07:25 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Akhor
I have one and LOVE it. It gets your vehicle to 100% ready, and takes all the guess work out of all setup issues.

The Hudy tool is not a necessity but is very useful to me. I always use it for initial setup and love the results.

I find that it is very easy to be off by 1.5 degrees due to tire and wheel imperfections so the station gives you a very accurate starting point.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:10 AM
Tech Addict

Been a year since I originally posted that sketch...nice to see folks are still getting use out of it.

During that time, I've doen a bit more research. On full size cars, total toe is indeed the sum of L & R. However, RC cars seem to be different. I checked the rear wheels on a number of different manufacturers, using the toe plates specified for different toe angles.

On all of the cars that I've measured, the measurement listed on the toe plate (2.0, 2.5, 3.0, etc...) turned out to be the value in degrees AT EACH WHEEL. So, I can only assume that the same logic should be applied to the front end as well.

I've been setting my toe using the camber gauge method for many months. I now use the reading on the camber gauge as the toe on each front wheel (ex. if you want 3.0 degrees of toe, set the camber gauge to 3.0 deg, and adjust each wheel to match).

Thanks....
Thanks for this info! Well now I'm confused about the proper toe for the 8ight-T 2.0. I thought it was 2 degrees total out but you are saying it's 2 degrees at each wheel for a total of 4 degrees toe out?
Old 05-25-2011, 10:50 AM
Tech Addict

After researching a bit further it looks like I was wrong when I said it was total 2.0 - it appears it is 2.0 degrees out for each side!
Old 05-25-2011, 01:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

cool scetch stubbs, similar to how it's done on 1/1 cars. I have the hudy station and i use it after every rebuilt and before each race. Very consistant, very acurate. it's not just camber, caster, toe, it also gets your steering throw 100% acurate.

Is it worth the money? who knows, but i am glad i have it.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:37 PM
Tech Regular

I've been juked again There is no total toe just a measurement at each wheel.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.