Search
Like Tree1Likes

Xray T4'14

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 11:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by grippgoat
Make sure the wheels aren't rubbing on the outer front camber link cup. On my sweep qts32 on the new wheels, it rubs quite badly with 2mm on the outside.

-Mike
Not that you asked, but the solution to that is to use the open ball cups that are used on the toe links. I've been running 2mm shims on the outer with sweep 28s and haven't had any rubbing.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by B00t13g
Not that you asked, but the solution to that is to use the open ball cups that are used on the toe links. I've been running 2mm shims on the outer with sweep 28s and haven't had any rubbing.
Right On the other hand... I suffered some damage today. Went sideways into a steel bar. Never thought it'd be a hazard!
Attached Thumbnails Xray T4'14-20131205_145030-small-.jpg   Xray T4'14-20131205_165025-small-.jpg   Xray T4'14-20131205_145655-small-.jpg  
Old 12-05-2013, 10:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cheapskate.brok
Right On the other hand... I suffered some damage today. Went sideways into a steel bar. Never thought it'd be a hazard!
Ouch!
Old 12-05-2013, 10:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I can't really decide if I made progress with my setup this weekend. I ran Q1 with a basic setup based on my previous race. That used RSD Orange/Pink F/R with medium camber links, the rest kit. Didn't do well, but didn't over-drive it.

Q2 I dropped the front roll center by 0.5mm. Hated that. The car wouldn't get into the corners at all. It was a bit faster on fast lap, but less consistent, and not confidence-inspiring.

For the mains, I punted on a setup. Went back to kit 2.5 springs F/R, with rear laid down a hole. Returned RR block to center for 0.5mm anti-dive, widened rear pins by 0.5mm, and added 0.5mm front droop. In practice before mains, with no sauce, it felt pretty well behaved with pretty decent balance, but was hard to tell how fast it was. In the main, it was slower than I was hoping, but I could be pretty aggressive, and all in all it was a decent run. The car is slower than I want it to be, but with the setup that's on it now, I feel like it doesn't have any glaringly bad behavior, and it'll just be a matter of fine-tuning several things to get it tightened up.

Setup attached.

Video:
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

I'm the darker yellow car starting in 5th. The driving looks pretty sloppy, but I was actually being reasonably restrained. Some of that is feeling out the new setup. Some of it is getting thrown out of rhythm by cars in front. And a lot of it is that the car was just floaty / greasy feeling. Tires are possibly going off the cliff, too.

My next steps will be thicker rear diff (to try and address the on-power steering), thicker rear shocks (probably AE 40f/37.5r erring on the thick side), and 0.5mm less droop all around. Might try 3.5* rear toe. Hopefully that'll lock the car in a little more overall.

This video shows the sloppiness wasn't all driver:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVDcNr_rG9A
Win from pole in our 25.5 class.

-Mike

EDIT: Link to higher-rez image of setup on my SkyDrive:
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resi...t=photo%2c.png

ALSO EDIT: Suggestions welcome.
Attached Thumbnails Xray T4'14-t4-14-mikeruete-srcr-cc-2013-11-30.jpg  

Last edited by grippgoat; 12-05-2013 at 10:56 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:57 PM
Tech Elite

I can't really decide if I made progress with my setup this weekend. I ran Q1 with a basic setup based on my previous race. That used RSD Orange/Pink F/R with medium camber links, the rest kit. Didn't do well, but didn't over-drive it.

Q2 I dropped the front roll center by 0.5mm. Hated that. The car wouldn't get into the corners at all. It was a bit faster on fast lap, but less consistent, and not confidence-inspiring.

For the mains, I punted on a setup. Went back to kit 2.5 springs F/R, with rear laid down a hole. Returned RR block to center for 0.5mm anti-dive, widened rear pins by 0.5mm, and added 0.5mm front droop. In practice before mains, with no sauce, it felt pretty well behaved with pretty decent balance, but was hard to tell how fast it was. In the main, it was slower than I was hoping, but I could be pretty aggressive, and all in all it was a decent run. The car is slower than I want it to be, but with the setup that's on it now, I feel like it doesn't have any glaringly bad behavior, and it'll just be a matter of fine-tuning several things to get it tightened up.

Setup attached.

Video:
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

I'm the darker yellow car starting in 5th. The driving looks pretty sloppy, but I was actually being reasonably restrained. Some of that is feeling out the new setup. Some of it is getting thrown out of rhythm by cars in front. And a lot of it is that the car was just floaty / greasy feeling. Tires are possibly going off the cliff, too.

My next steps will be thicker rear diff (to try and address the on-power steering), thicker rear shocks (probably AE 40f/37.5r erring on the thick side), and 0.5mm less droop all around. Might try 3.5* rear toe. Hopefully that'll lock the car in a little more overall.

-Mike

For more incorner steering, you can use a short rear link. Also I don't like the car with 1mm shims or less on the rear bulkhead. I prefer 1.5mm-2.0mm depending on the track/tires. Going lower than 1.5mm makes the car very aggressive and it feels like the rear is loose. It's okay to run this in stock classes, but in modified it takes too much stability away imo. You should try that and see if you like that better
Old 12-06-2013, 12:52 AM
Tech Regular

Setup attached.

Video:
+ YouTube Video

-Mike

You have been going in the direction that I went through to get a car that feels fast but still easy/consistent to drive so you can push it. A couple of suggestions that may help you but obviously carpet/driving style etc. may mean it doesn't work for you but worth trying...

Unless your track is very high grip I would go back to the shorter upper roll centre.
Lay the front shocks down to second hole from the inside.
Add the 2mm shim at the top of the front shocks.

These changes aim to get the car feeling consistent.

Then to get the car to finish the corner better;

Rear diff to 2k possibly 3k depending on your driving style
1.3 rear roll bar

As I said, just some things to try and this is effectively moving you towards the Hagberg carpet setup which is worth getting.

I don't know what front anti dive will do or the theory on it - I have always run hinge pins level front and rear on the T4.

Good luck
Old 12-06-2013, 01:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I would use a shorter rear link, thicker rear diff oil, kit hinge pin locations and a 1.3 rear bar. This is what I'm running and have been very happy with it day in and day out even on two different layouts.
http://forum.teamxray.com/xform/inde...&setup=t4_2014
Old 12-06-2013, 01:37 AM
Tech Elite

Last edited by Skiddins; 12-06-2013 at 10:12 AM.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:37 AM
Tech Elite

Setup attached.

Video:
+ YouTube Video

-Mike

The white car from the front of this video was running Hagbergs Sorex setup with the exception of 400 front oil and 450 rear;
+ YouTube Video

Admittedly this was on Sorex 28 tyres, but the setup might be useful as we don't have amazing grip either.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:17 AM
Tech Addict

Last edited by chasingthepack; 12-09-2013 at 10:41 AM.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:43 AM
Tech Regular

hahaha!
Old 12-06-2013, 09:48 AM
Tech Adept

Hi guys,

I'm considering buying this kit. I haven't raced onroad in 5 or 6 years, but I have a couple of tracks real close to me, and it would be nice to have something to race during the winter.

Does the T4'14 require any upgrades out the box. I'm thinking outdrives, chassis brace, cvd's, etc. I might aswell build it right the first time

Its only gonna be used for some stock class club racing, nothing major. It's all about having something fun to do on sundays
Old 12-06-2013, 10:15 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by sgp-chris
Hi guys,

I'm considering buying this kit. I haven't raced onroad in 5 or 6 years, but I have a couple of tracks real close to me, and it would be nice to have something to race during the winter.

Does the T4'14 require any upgrades out the box. I'm thinking outdrives, chassis brace, cvd's, etc. I might aswell build it right the first time

Its only gonna be used for some stock class club racing, nothing major. It's all about having something fun to do on sundays
I ran mine 'out of the box' with kit setup for a few weeks and it was fine, until I bent a driveshaft

Other than a few spares, no upgrades needed.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Nothing is needed to be competitive out of the box . low profile servo at blenky ESC and 300-330g battery , and motor .
Old 12-06-2013, 10:29 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by chasingthepack
Originally Posted by Skiddins
The white car from the front of this video was running Hagbergs Sorex setup with the exception of 400 front oil and 450 rear;
are you sure?
Yes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.