Wiki Posts
Search

Mugen MBX6 Differential Build Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 12:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Mugen MBX6 Differential Build Question

I am building my MBX6 today, in the manual it says "Decide the number S3 O-ring used referring to the "Setting Sheet" in a separate sheet." On the set up sheet it shows to use 5/5/2 for diff fluid, and all the o-rings are at 0. So I am to assume we do NOT use the o-rings in the diffs. None of my other cars have o-rings on the diffs either. What is the purpose of them? Why would someone use them? I build one with the o-rings in it and the diff felt very tight.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Don't use them at all, for some reason they always include them but they are not needed...it would add 5k wt. to the diff's. So if your running 5-5-2 you'll actually be running about 10-10-7 and thats too much imo. Good luck with your build.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

he's correct..do not use them..

BUT

keep them handy...I like to roll them over the fuel and pressure line hose ends before putting the hoses on...then roll the o-rings back to the end to cinch them down on their connections

if you've ever had a fuel line fall off and cost you a race this will cure that forever...well okay maybe not forever
Old 01-04-2009, 01:40 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rearviewmirror
I am building my MBX6 today, in the manual it says "Decide the number S3 O-ring used referring to the "Setting Sheet" in a separate sheet." On the set up sheet it shows to use 5/5/2 for diff fluid, and all the o-rings are at 0. So I am to assume we do NOT use the o-rings in the diffs. None of my other cars have o-rings on the diffs either. What is the purpose of them? Why would someone use them? I build one with the o-rings in it and the diff felt very tight.
No one uses the S3 o-rings anymore, at least if you check the setting sheets lately. Using them was like upping the diff oils. You basically run like 3K oil and added S3 o-rings from one to all the side gears to stiffen or tighten up the diff like thicker diff oil does. Some complained it overheated the diffs, so most just use thicker diff oil instead of S3 o-rings. If you look up a base MBX5 setting sheet, you'll see 3K/3K/1K diff oils with 4/2/0 S3 o-rings used.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:21 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks Everyone! The diffs feel much better w/o them. I'm going to run 5/5/2 for now. My kit did inlcude 7/5/2, but the setup sheet shows 5/5/2. Going to run it like that because my other 8 scales run the fluid, it'll keep things consistent as I shake down each car.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:09 PM
Tech Elite

Another diff question.

Did you lot use some sort of grease on the diff outer ring to the gear that connects the center shafts? Meaning, did you grease the gears in the front and rear gear cases? The manual says nothing of this, but all my cars have the grease on the gears in the F/R gear cases.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

using some sort of high quality grease on all metal to metal contact areas will lessen the wear they experience..

I use the Mobil 1 synthetic grease...it's red..

I use it on the ring and pinions in the diff cases...a little on the cross pins of the axles..I recently tried putting some in between the hub bearings on the stub axle..seemed to help...I will see when I tear that apart how it did