whats the best way to remove tires???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

whats the best way to remove tires???

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 02:39 PM
Tech Regular

cardboard isnt flammable until 400* unless you light it up. I have a good amount of rims, panther, proline, associated, kyosho. any of these thermoplastic and will melt away
Old 10-29-2007, 02:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mugen MBX-5
wheelspin? yes i wanna keep em
yes it takes the glue off the rims becaue the tyres are gripping and the wheels ned to spin... just do lots and lots of driving until you can see the glue coming off. i have less than half a gallon through my firestorm, and the rear tyres are already coming unstuck. i used loads of glue on them too.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:43 PM
Tech Regular

wouldnt you just wear out tires faster?
Old 10-29-2007, 03:02 PM
Tech Elite

yes but the glue comes unstuck without the smell of acetone and the stench of burning rubber stays outside where it belongs.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:18 PM
Tech Regular

i let them sit in acetone for about 10 hours. it was still kinda hard to get them off though, and now that i know the proper oven technique (heat to 350, turn off, throw tires in 15 mins) ill do that next time for sure.

thanks for the help

/thread
Old 10-30-2007, 12:45 AM
Tech Addict

how about CA glue debonder
Old 10-30-2007, 11:32 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by more$thanbrains
how about CA glue debonder
acetone is probably cheaker, it seemed to work fine. it made my hands feel weird as hell, put glue all over my thunbs then it dries. felt really weird, but it worked fine.

it didnt take all the tire off the rim, but the tires came out looking perfect. rims didnt though.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:21 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

I've removed many tires with Acetone. You don't even need to have it IN the acetone, (although that is faster and more effective) just in a sealed container with the fumes. Put them in, leave them overnight. We use a bucket, about 2 gallons in size so we can put 4 tires in at the same time. Put them in, seal them up, and wait overnight. It won't hurt the tires or the rims, but the foam is magically transported to never-never land.

Brad
Old 10-30-2007, 01:50 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by danimal1965
oven 325 on tin foil for 15 minutes. Use gloves and watch for steam and don't force it. (If it won't all come lose put it back in for 5 more minutes.) The upside of the tire will be de-bonded but the downside will need 5 more minute facing up back in the oven. i've done some rims 3 or 4 times with no problems. Dan
grubbs33
200 isn't hot enough. That's why boiling generally doesn't work very well either. I preheat the oven to 350 and TURN IT OFF. Then put the tires in for 15 minutes or so. Take them out and let them cool before you try to crack them off the rims. Trying to pull at a hot tire will very easily tear it. It has worked perfectly for me every time.

When you do get the tires off you still need to clean the glue off the bead. Use a rag with acetone to clean up what doesn't crack off.
I use this all the time, I preheat to about 350 then set tires on a cookie sheet and put in turn off the oven and let set till i can grab them, they practically fall off.

joe of loath
but watch out, thermoplastic rims may melt and sag.
I worked in plastics for 15 years, most of these plastics take 425+ to melt, our machines were usually set to 500 or so to melt faster
Old 10-30-2007, 03:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm going to try the acetone way heard the oven trick was easy but im going acetone
Old 10-30-2007, 04:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

I found that landing off of jumps crooked seems to magicly seperate tire and rim quicker than anything Ive tried
Old 10-30-2007, 04:23 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rltanner
I'm going to try the acetone way heard the oven trick was easy but im going acetone
let each side of the tire sit in acetone for about 12 hours each, they should still be kinda hard to come off in some sport, but if you pull it will eventually let go and not damage the tire.

id go with the oven, it bakes the glue or something and it comes off so nicely, no offort required, the acetone way is kinda hard and you get high off the fumes, it dries out some peoples skin. it kinda sucks. destroys your foams too.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:43 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I use the oven trick with great results. I just stick the tires in there (No need to preheat for tires, unless you got some cookies in there) at 350 for 25 minutes.

((((DING)))) Tires are done and pull off the rims very easily.