Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 07:05 PM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

Has anyone had experience with the mini tires and silver can motors sold by ABC? Thanks.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:32 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Had a play with the tyres, don't like 'em much, the sodt ones aren't soft enough, and the hard ones feel like the track would have to be melting before they gave enough grip.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:19 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by MD
Has anyone had experience with the mini tires and silver can motors sold by ABC? Thanks.
Do you run Minis? I might dust off my old M01 for that October 3rd event thats on the schedule. I promise this time Ill actually get out of my car

Als hobbies is supposedly going to be carrying ABC stuff now. I really like the 4wd mini class and almost bought a HPI cup racer last week, but I want to see what the ABC genetic chassis looks like up close. I also talked to a person at ABC and they said they want to get a spec series going here (Chicago) like they have in California.

Minis just seem more cost effective to me, I hope the class takes off here...
Old 09-20-2009, 09:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Tamiya Asia Cup 2009 - M Chassis Result
Racers from Thailand, China, Singapore, Lebanon, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Philippines, Malaysia, Taiwan, and Korea raced it out in the Tamiya Asia Cup 2009.

http://www.rccartips.com/tamiya-asia...ni-results.jpg

Congratulations to Karn of Thailand. Hope you win in Japan!

M05 Swift dominated the A main. I qualified 7th, ended 8th overall with an M03m. Though weight limit was 1230gms, the M05s (1310gms) was very stable and less prone to traction roll.

Qualifying:

Last edited by rccartips; 09-20-2009 at 10:12 PM.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:55 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MD
I use the ABC tires on my M-01 and the grip is very good. Lots of steering, so I had to reduce the dual rate/EPA a bit. As for the MJGTC motor, I may have to try that since I use it on the ABC series. I also heard that some people use the Traxxas 20t motor on the M-Chassis.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:02 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MD
I don't run on too many varied track surfaces, but the ABC tires were very good at the Tamiya track in Aliso Viejo. They also worked great on a slurried asphalt parking lot that we race on out here. Some of the other tires like the RPs were too "grippy" and the dreaded traction roll became a problem. In brief, what tire works best depends on the track surface.

The ABC motor is interesting. In a ABC Genetic they perform very well, cause you can gear up a lot without running into heating problems. I'm afraid in a Mini, they won't be very good as the power, torque, and rpm numbers were significantly lower than a stock Johnson silvercan. I tested a new ABC motor this afternoon on a Fantom dyno at the request of a local racer. The brush configuration is more like a Blackcan. Another difference is that the can is slightly larger and the windings appear to be of a smaller gauge wire, but can't swear to this as I haven't taken one apart yet. The design of the stack also appears to be different. They look similar, but they are really quite different.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:05 PM
MD
Tech Champion

gtfour93 - Thanks. Did you use the ABC tires on carpet or outside? I'll be running carpet. The Traxxas Stinger 20T is a pretty good motor. We used them this summer in TC class with COT bodies and they ran well if you didn't over gear them. I ran one in a TT01 with the 25/55 ratio and it ran well. It got a little hot but not too bad.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:11 PM
MD
Tech Champion

Granpa - Thanks for the analysis. Maybe I'll give the tires a try. I was thinking about using the ABC motor in a GT3 touring car class.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:41 PM
MD
Tech Champion

Tristar Racing - I do run minis. I ran an M03L all summer at Hobbytown in St. Charles. I've been thinking about the 3Racing TT01 mini conversion. A spec series would be great, but I think Tamiya has a good foothold in the Chicago area. The new M05 is reasonable in price. I hope to see you on Oct. 3. I'll let some the guys know that you're coming with your mini.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MD
gtfour93 - Thanks. Did you use the ABC tires on carpet or outside? I'll be running carpet. The Traxxas Stinger 20T is a pretty good motor. We used them this summer in TC class with COT bodies and they ran well if you didn't over gear them. I ran one in a TT01 with the 25/55 ratio and it ran well. It got a little hot but not too bad.
I used them mainly on indoor & outdoor asphalt. I haven't tried them on carpet with the M-Chassis but did try the ABC Genetic on carpet. You will need some type of compound to stick. Jack The Gripper worked well for me on carpet at one of the indoor carpet tracks here (OCRC).
Old 09-20-2009, 10:58 PM
MD
Tech Champion

gtfour93 - Thanks.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:54 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default HPI MX60 tyres and wheels

I rush imported some HPI MX60 slicks for our weekend event, completely ignoring the "only use MX60 rims" part, so need to order same.

These wheels require HPI Cup Racer tyres, and are perfect with the #100629 MX60 SLICK TIRE S (60x26mm/2pcs). Sold in pairs. Each package contains a pair of serrated wheel nuts that allow fitment on the original HPI Mini and other Mini-size cars with 12mm hex hubs.

All well and good but which offset would be applicable to M Chassis cars running normal wheel base? (Eyeballing seems to indicate 3mm but I would prefer to have it right first time out, unlike the courier cost on the tyres.... ;-)

#3930 MX60 EIGHT SPOKE WHEEL WHITE (0mm OFFSET/2pcs)
#3935 MX60 EIGHT SPOKE WHEEL WHITE (3mm OFFSET/2pcs)
#3940 MX60 EIGHT SPOKE WHEEL WHITE (6mm OFFSET/2pcs)
Old 09-21-2009, 11:42 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by MD
Tristar Racing - I do run minis. I ran an M03L all summer at Hobbytown in St. Charles. I've been thinking about the 3Racing TT01 mini conversion. A spec series would be great, but I think Tamiya has a good foothold in the Chicago area. The new M05 is reasonable in price. I hope to see you on Oct. 3. I'll let some the guys know that you're coming with your mini.
I just found out from work I might be out of state for the 3rd. I'll let you know for sure as that week approaches.

So there is a decent following for Tamiya minis in Chicago? I went to order a new M05 pro, but was told by the hobby shop no one runs the minis anymore. I would definately like to stick with Tamiya, especially if the local classes stick with the silver can motors. I need a new mini though, because as you probably know the M01 is not competitive.

Now I cannot seem to find the M05 pro in stock anywhere, Im having a hard time figuring out if it just sold out or if it just wasnt released in the US yet.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:29 PM
MD
Tech Champion

Tristar Racing - It will be too bad if you can't make it. At Hobbytown in St. Charles this summer we had from 4-6 minis at the races. You could check with the guys at Underground RC and The Track to see of they have a mini classes. If RC Hobby and Track reopens we'll have to see what classes they run. Tower Hobbies has both models in stock and Horizon Hobby has the stock version in stock, which means your local hobby shop can order it for you if you want to do it that way. My Atomic Hobbies, SRI Hobbies, Speedtech RC, Advantage Hobby, have one of the models of the M05 and RC Slot has the stock kit for $117. Ultimate Hobbies has the best prices, that I've found, but they're out of stock right now
Old 09-21-2009, 02:18 PM
Tech Initiate

Unhappy

well im afraid to say that the mini is dying out at my local club and it is only me and some one who brings one so i can have a alright race bring one every one else is now racing touring cars and i only started minis 7 weeks ago il just hope they come back or i might have to sell it for a touring car

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.