Wiki Posts
Search

plastic washer on clutch bell bearing

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 07:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default plastic washer on clutch bell bearing

Quick question, there is a small plastic washer behind the clip that holds the clutch bell on my TRX 2.5 mill that is messed up. I nor the hobby shop have one and I plan on going to the track tomorrow. does anybody run without this washer and do you think it would hurt anything?
Old 08-29-2009, 08:03 PM
Tech Prophet

do u have a pic of it i might me able to help u
Old 08-29-2009, 08:25 PM
Tech Regular

Sorry, no pic, it is just a very thin washer made of plastic. Not sure what it does exactly, it is so thin that there could not be hardly any more side to side movement on the clutch bell than with it in there. I am wondering if it is more of a dust shield for the bearing than a shim. Do any of the brands you run have anything like this, or does the clip go up against the bearing?
Old 08-29-2009, 09:28 PM
Tech Prophet

yea u proberty do need that im guessing that is a washer that spaces out the clutch legth of the engine shaft so its flush with the shaft,some engines need it some dont depends on the lenght of the engine chank shaft but obusity your engine needed it and other brands use a thin washer instend of a plastic one but that works, the small washers are just to get a certain amount of play back and fourth on the clutch bell
Old 08-29-2009, 10:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

It will be ok with out the plastic washer
Old 08-30-2009, 12:13 AM
Tech Master

I have a hard time seing the washer/spacer in that aplication being plastic. Are you sure its not a clutch bearing seal that has fallen out of the current bearing or some how left on from the last bearing replaced? That area gets real hot & takes some serious abuse from the clutchbell slamming forward & back & rubbing against a e-clip with sharp edges dont sound like some place traxxas would put a plastic washer.
Old 08-30-2009, 02:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

he is talking about these

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-ball-bearings

the only thing you can do is strip a spur or a clutch bell if there is to much play,i would run it just order the spacers
Old 08-30-2009, 11:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

It is not a plasitic washer, its a fiber washer and it is used to set the end play in the clutch bell, you must use it or the clutch bell will be able to move around to much....causing bearing and clutch failer....
Old 08-30-2009, 03:55 PM
Tech Master

Wouldnt a normal metal washer ment for that exact purpose work correctly? I dont think I have ever been to a hobbie shop that didnt have a ofna or kyosho bag of flywheel & clutchbell shims.Did you ask the LHS about something other than a traxxas part that will work? Might get you going till you can get what you want.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:32 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the help guys, I went to Lowes firts thing this morning and found some 5mm flat washers meant for machine screws and it seems to work perfectly. Got 20 for 59 cents. Do you think that I should still get some of the fiber ones from Traxxas or are the steel washer just as good of an idea?
Old 08-30-2009, 09:09 PM
Tech Master

Dont know. Do you still have a good clutchbell end gap? if so try it out & see. I have never used a normal washer there just the ofna, kyosho & mugen ones ment for the purpose. Their only hitting the inner dia of the bearing right?
Old 08-31-2009, 08:05 AM
Tech Regular

Yeah, it only rides on the smaller race that touches the crank. The only diff is that the washer is .8mm thick and the traxxas one is.5mm, but there is still endplay.