Wiki Posts
Search

FASTEST .28?????????????

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 02:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by playboy
I AM LOOKING FOR A NEW MOTOR BUT DONT KNOW WITCH ONE TO BUY??

I WANT TO MOST FASTEST AND SICKEST MOTOR OUT THERE

I DONT CARE ABOUT THE MONEY...

I JUST WANT THE FASTEST AND BEST MOTOR OUT THERE..

WHAT WEBSITE CAN I GET IT??????

THANKS
A drag modded picco
Old 05-19-2008, 02:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PowerHouse
I personally run the N528XR and it is a very fast engine when you port it correctly. I changed out the 9mm insert for the 7.5 and it is still an animal with about 10 minutes of run time. I raced this past weekend against several bigger motors, one of them being the new OS 28XZ and he had that OS rung out as far as it would take him and he had nothing on my 528 out of the corners. I'm not sure if it was modded or not but he gave me some good props afterwards about how he leaned his motor out to the point of being too lean to try to hang with my truck. I modded one of those 28XZ motors for a guy in Chicago and he has reported back with very good results so I imagine a modded 528 vs. a similarly modded 28XZ would be a pretty close match up on the track. Both motors have a good base design with plenty of improvement room to be made and I can also mod either engine to full race spec for $80 usd which is very respectable for the amount of work they require.
I think they both would make similar power too... i do think the shorter stroke of the OS may give it a little RPM advantage.. But the Nova does have a wicked exhaust design to work with... Both are killer engines... The Nova most likely will last much longer IMHO....I think the OS has more port volume as well....
Old 05-19-2008, 05:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (99%+)

Out of the novarossi.. OS and the picco 28's which would you race??? I have the novarossi 528 and a Picco 28 and a few others and trying to figure out which one I should be racing with??
Old 05-19-2008, 08:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

OOOOOOH, tough call...... I have had 5 P3-28's in the past 3 years and were great motors. They have their querks but overall were pretty solid performers on the track for the money. The 528 is awesome but comes at a price. The OS looks decent as well, I haven't run them personally yet but the design was decent to work with and from what I hear they do run very strong, just don't know about the longevity yet, we will all find out soon enough. So in my opinion, I would get the Picco before the OS due to the price and past experience with that motor. All my Picco's have gone 8+ gallons with very little problems but my favorite is still the Rossi 528 due to its great design, reliablity, performance and long life. I had one of those 528's go over 12 gallons over 2 years and I just finally put a new one in just to have a fresh one on tap but the old one was still running decent when I sold it. I have a local guy getting a OS 28XZ and I will be modding that one and doing a report on it so I will post the before and afters of that project. I have no dought the OS will perform great, I just haven't seen how long they will go before getting tired.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:54 PM
Tech Master

I agree with maximo, the OS does have more port volume but I also make the 528 an 11 port engine when I am done so the port volume is not an issue anymore. I have some pics of that piece if anyone is interested.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I agree with maximo, the OS does have more port volume but I also make the 528 an 11 port engine when I am done so the port volume is not an issue anymore. I have some pics of that piece if anyone is interested.
Pics are cool

I'll show you mine, if you show me yours LOL !!!!!!
Old 05-19-2008, 09:23 PM
Tech Master

LOL, I'll get on that in the morning, too late and I'm feeling very unmotivated right now.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:21 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I thought about it and i think im going to buy that 528 engine.

I want the ABSOLUTE FASTEST engine money can buy (rc car wise)

money is NOT a concern.

with that said, is there anything better than the 528, my main concern is top speed.

I dont care if I wont get traction
I dont care if my runtime is 2 minutes
I dont care if it will eat my clutch every two tanks of gas

does the 528 NEED a starter box or can it be a roto start? im not a big fan of starter boxes.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:39 AM
Tech Master

The 528 is a great motor and they come in many veriations. The 8 port race version that I have seen and am using personally comes in non pull start but I have seen some newer versions of the 528 series come in 3 port versions with and without roto start and I'm not sure if you can get it in the 8 port version so you may want to check on that. I also know Novarossi is coming out with a new line of .28's in the 5-7 port range and I hear they are pretty decent. I don't know personally what the stock 8 port 528 has for top end but my modded versions have great top end. The big joke at the track is my truggy has 2 engines in it because it comes out of a corner so hard and accelerates like nothing else and I still get a decent 8-9 minutes on a tank and I am hard on the throttle. From what I've seen, the 528 and the Picco P3-28's have been the fastest, hardest hitting motors I've seen. I am waiting to see what my modded version of the OS .28XZ does but don't have any local guys with one yet so I have to wait on that.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

how much do you mod them for?

what can all be done to the motor?

I might just get you to buy a brand new 528, mod it, maybe even break it in, then Ill buy it off you like that.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:49 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The 528 is a great motor and they come in many veriations. The 8 port race version that I have seen and am using personally comes in non pull start but I have seen some newer versions of the 528 series come in 3 port versions with and without roto start and I'm not sure if you can get it in the 8 port version so you may want to check on that. I also know Novarossi is coming out with a new line of .28's in the 5-7 port range and I hear they are pretty decent. I don't know personally what the stock 8 port 528 has for top end but my modded versions have great top end. The big joke at the track is my truggy has 2 engines in it because it comes out of a corner so hard and accelerates like nothing else and I still get a decent 8-9 minutes on a tank and I am hard on the throttle. From what I've seen, the 528 and the Picco P3-28's have been the fastest, hardest hitting motors I've seen. I am waiting to see what my modded version of the OS .28XZ does but don't have any local guys with one yet so I have to wait on that.
Just to clarify
Novarossi has always made 3 and 8 port 528s. The ones that said SPEED were 3 ports and the RACE were 8 ports

The new novarossi Plus 28s come in 3 flavors.
Plus 28-3 3 port
Plus 28-5 5 port
Plus 28-7 7 port
Old 05-28-2008, 05:49 AM
Tech Master

There is alot you do with that motor and when you get serious about getting one modded, PM me and we can figure out our gameplan with one. Thanks!!
Old 05-28-2008, 08:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Maximo
Here is a video of a PIcco 28 that I modified... at the time of the video the motor was still fresh, so top end was not quite opening up... But regardless this motor was a ripper, strongest low end I have ever seen from a Nitro engine...This motor ended up making 2.4 HP and almost 90 oz/in on the X-Dyno

Last edited by German Muscle; 05-28-2008 at 09:44 PM.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:09 AM
Tech Adept

TRy http://www.highbanksrc.com
or if in england www.brentfordrc.co.uk
Old 06-04-2008, 07:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Os bearing

Hello Guys... Where can I buy bearings for the OS .28 engine???

Thanks..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.