Wiki Posts
Search

who thinks that nitro will go away?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 12:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chuck67
We sold our 1/10th scale electric and got into 1/8th scale nitro. Both have their pros and cons. I am now building an 1/8th scale electric one thing I am not fond of is the price! Nitro is cheaper to get going....long run not sure if the prices balance out. Another thing about electric ( someone stated this on the forum somewhere) "electic runs on smoke and once you let it out it is over"

Chuck
Electric 1/10th scale is not more expensive to get into than 1/8th scale nitro running both at a competitive level. Actually the electric is still about 30% cheaper. 1/10th electric off-road is also cheaper to run though-out the racing season.

I will agree that 1/8th scale electric is probably more expensive to get into than 1/8th scale nitro at the moment while everything is really in prototype stages but I would bet the costs even out over the the season in comparison to nitro.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:43 PM
Tech Master

I look forward to running 1/8 EP. While nitro is fun in its ways, I'm tired of having to buy fuel, replace air filters, check for air leaks, tune carbs and clean oil sludge off the car.

I'm sure nitro won't disappear, but I think you'll see a big move to EP 1.8th scales soon. For people in winter climates, this will be a very good thing.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I would like to see 4 strokers become common they just sound so cool and run forever on a tank. If they can make a 4 stroke as fast as a good 2 stroke I would buy one.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:20 PM

I think the biggest problem with 4 stroke that is probably holding them back is size and complexity, we run .21 Nitro engines and realy if you think about it they are very simple, they have very few moving parts and they are just simple, well at least they are simple compared to 4 stokes. If they were 4 stoke engines they would probably have to be .40 or so in size to make equivelant power, but then you have the extra complexity, you have timing belts, motor oil, valves, and all kinds of other little things they need that most people that arnt experienced couldnt realy deal with, and it would be a lot of work for a company to make one.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I have to agree. Alot of people already have a heck of a time with the simple two-stroke engines. Add in the complexity of the pushrods, timing, etc...and you've got a huge support problem.

Two-stroke engines are simple and are better in the power-to-weight ratio. They just aren't popular cause they're dirty (although many manufacturers are making cleaner 2-strokes)...

On the subject of Nitro going away...

I think its going to happen....eventually. "Being Green" will take over in this area as well. Even engines as small as RC engines will be outlawed...

I'm a hardcore Nitro fan, but I'm going to build an 8th scale Brushless/Lipo Truggy based off of an 8ight-T just to prove it won't work as well as a Nitro Truggy...

Originally Posted by Nitro syco
I think the biggest problem with 4 stroke that is probably holding them back is size and complexity, we run .21 Nitro engines and realy if you think about it they are very simple, they have very few moving parts and they are just simple, well at least they are simple compared to 4 stokes. If they were 4 stoke engines they would probably have to be .40 or so in size to make equivelant power, but then you have the extra complexity, you have timing belts, motor oil, valves, and all kinds of other little things they need that most people that arnt experienced couldnt realy deal with, and it would be a lot of work for a company to make one.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:25 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bushyar15

I'm a hardcore Nitro fan, but I'm going to build an 8th scale Brushless/Lipo Truggy based off of an 8ight-T just to prove it won't work as well as a Nitro Truggy...
Watch your laptimes improve by 0.5-1.0 seconds per lap compared to your nitro truggy.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

That might be true but what about....

1) How much run time will I get out of a Lipo pack? Mains are anywhere from 20-40 minutes....

2) How long will it take to switch out a pack, making sure its secure?

3) Overheating either the ESC or motor in a long main...

Just some additional thoughts...

Originally Posted by SkarTisu
Watch your laptimes improve by 0.5-1.0 seconds per lap compared to your nitro truggy.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:22 AM
Tech Elite

The only thing that can kill nitro is nitro. Regulations limiting pollution and noise will become (they already are) more and more restrictive.

The noise is one of the things people love abot nitro, but it is what will be limited the most in the short term.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:26 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bushyar15
That might be true but what about....

1) How much run time will I get out of a Lipo pack? Mains are anywhere from 20-40 minutes....

2) How long will it take to switch out a pack, making sure its secure?

3) Overheating either the ESC or motor in a long main...

Just some additional thoughts...
1. Depends on many things. You might be able to get 20 minutes of run time on a pack though.

2. With current technology, it would take a little while. Many years ago there was an electric oval endurance race that required pit stops. Racers built themselves quick release battery trays which allowed battery pack changes as fast if not faster than a fuel stop. Shouldn't be tough to apply that technology to 1/8th scales if necessary

3. Overheating the ESC/motor is a matter of being overgeared like any car. Some testing with a heat gun would tell you whether you're geared properly or not.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hey Skar, cool to hear you are down with running an Electric 1/8. Let me know if you ever get down to Extreme in Evansdale for a race... maybe I can make it and let you run mine.

To other dudes here:

1. your 8ightT will run just fine if you do a good conversion.

2. 20-40 minute mains are no problem. 40 might be an issue for some tracks and some electric setups.... but 30 definitely is not a problem on one battery (8000mah). I like to run the smaller 5000 packs and they can do 20 minutes easy enough. So one battery change would let me do ANY length race... up to 60 minutes.

I have some ideas to make the battery swap pretty quick... and a couple guys right now are working on a quick-change system like what Skar mentioned... the old 1/10 oval enduro cars.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:59 AM
Tech Master

Hey doc! We were just down there for the first winter series race recently. I'm sure I'll make another one, just not sure which one yet. I'll hit you up when I know what my schedule will be. An electric car on their indoor track would be ideal, I think.

I'd bet within 3 years we'll be running 1/8th scale BJ4s in their own class. Not sure if there will be a requirement for 3 planetary diffs or not, but there's a lot of optimization that could be done for that platform that hasn't even been touched yet.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I don't see Nitro going away but the future in R/C racing is in brushless motors and LiPo (or similar) batteries. The biggest appeal of running nitro is the longer run times. But with new battery technologies 20, 30 or even 40 minute mains are all possible in electric without a single pit stop. I also believe the cost of building an 1/8th brushless/LiPo car is actually cheaper than building the nitro car. When you add in the cost of fuel, motor rebuilds/replacement, glow plugs and clutches the nitro car can get VERY expensive. It only takes one speck of dirt to ruin a piston/sleeve or crank-pin. I typed up a long post in the MBX5R thread about the cost difference and the list of stuff you don't need running electric is pretty long.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

i dont think so, it will be here for good
Old 11-30-2007, 11:02 PM
SH
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dave_x8
i dont think so, it will be here for good
agreed, nitro r/c will never cease to exist. 1/8th off road has the most number of people running it worldwide than any other class.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Electric needs to go away. Its the biggest falicacy for saving energy. I should know, I'm in the automotive business. Electric produces so much toxic waste, I'm surprised all the "green heads" haven't seen it coming. I want to see endurance electric racing, like 8-12 hours. Then you'll see electric sucks ass! Just because it goes fast for one lap. doesn't make it practicalq!`

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.