Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ROAR Nats gripe

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 05:01 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Maybe I should say this another way for everyone to understand... There should be a SPORTSMAN CLASS NATIONALS!!!!!!!! Let the pros have theirs and then have one for the people who don't get paid to race.. You know the people who do it for fun. Bowling has a seperate national event, Billiards has one also. How hard is it to have one for RC, come on really is it that much of a problem for everybody...
Old 06-10-2008, 05:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Where's the cheese???????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????

Go run the rcpro and sign up however you prefer.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:15 PM
Tech Addict

I think what you want is a Spec Class nationals. How far do you go? No aftermarket parts. Sorry you can't run that shock oil because it was not bottled by the car manufacturer. How would you handle engines and electronics. RTR servo's for everyone!

No thanks, as long as it meets the current specs, heigth, weight, width, etc. put it on the track and lets see a race.

Ed M.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

this is the same issue that's been around since day 1. there are no right or wrong answers, only opinions.

i did a keyword search for one word on this thread and came back with zero responses; participation. rc racing is, primarily, a participation based hobby/sport. rather than debating a question for which there is no singular answer, the focus should be put on what will grow the hobby/sport and increase participation.

obviously, i have my own opinions about how to 'best' increase participation and how to separate drivers, however this is probably not the correct forum (thread) to do so. i would though be interested to hear what others believe would increase participation.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:27 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jbrow1
Where's the cheese???????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????

Go run the rcpro and sign up however you prefer.
Oh thats a very mature comment...

Originally Posted by bentgear
I think what you want is a Spec Class nationals. How far do you go? No aftermarket parts. Sorry you can't run that shock oil because it was not bottled by the car manufacturer. How would you handle engines and electronics. RTR servo's for everyone!

No thanks, as long as it meets the current specs, heigth, weight, width, etc. put it on the track and lets see a race.
Ed M.
No I said a Sportsman Class as in no pro drivers...
Old 06-10-2008, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by viper0463
Maybe I should say this another way for everyone to understand... There should be a SPORTSMAN CLASS NATIONALS!!!!!!!! Let the pros have theirs and then have one for the people who don't get paid to race.. You know the people who do it for fun. Bowling has a seperate national event, Billiards has one also. How hard is it to have one for RC, come on really is it that much of a problem for everybody...
A sportsman class at the Nationals would defeat the purpose, it is to see who is the best of everybody, not to see who is the fastest person that signed up for pro and the fastest person that signed up for sportsman. And having a whole new class opens up a whole new can of worms, ever heard of sand bagging? Well if the Nats had a sportsman class I guarantee you that it would not be a sportsman level driver that wins the sporstman class. And If you want to race a sportsman class the pro-line saturday series will be at thuder-alley on the 21st.

Guys if you dont like the rules then dont go to that race, if you are worried about not having a sportsman class then dont go to the nats because you probably arn't ready! There are plenty of other big races in California, for example the JBRL and Pro-line saturday series, and they both go to the same place that the Nats was at, Thunder Alley
Old 06-10-2008, 05:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I think the format is fine and pretty awesome there were over 200 entries. If you don't feel you are ready for the Nationals then stick to local events and club races.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:52 PM
Tech Champion

1) You knew the rules going in.
2) No one has stopped you from making your own parts.
3) No one has stopped you from learning how to make your own parts.
4) Sportsmen come out to race casually because they are here for sport.

How the hell do you spend a WEEK at a NATIONAL EVENT and consider yourself a "SPORTSMAN"?

Close this thread already.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:57 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

The lack of divisions based on drivers abilities is the exception not the norm. Every form of racing I have ever participated in, motocross and jet skiing, had classes for pros. Its not like it would be a huge undertaking to let the pros run their own class. I could care less about the difference in equipment, but I doubt any of us will ever be at the level of most of these pro drivers.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

i can see the resume now: "i was the spec sportsman 1/8 scale national champion!"

Originally Posted by viper0463
Old 06-10-2008, 06:48 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

I have seen this play out at a local track. The slower guys wanted their own class and not have to race against the faster guys. The track obliged and everyone lost interest in racing that year because there was no competition, just 25-30 guys running mod buggies (a solid turnout if run all together) in 3 separate classes- sportsman, intermediate, expert. The competitive element was gone immediately and it sucked, in 3 weeks turnout dropped so badly that it never recovered and now the track is gone.

There is ability division in 1/8th rc, it's the 2nd round qualifying resort and the main format. 1/8th is the one really healthy class in offroad BECAUSE there is no division. No stock, no modified, no rubber/foam, no 2wd/4wd (I even wish truggies never happened). Just 1/8th cars racing. It NEEDS to be left alone.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:27 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gee-dub
this is the same issue that's been around since day 1. there are no right or wrong answers, only opinions.

i did a keyword search for one word on this thread and came back with zero responses; participation. rc racing is, primarily, a participation based hobby/sport. rather than debating a question for which there is no singular answer, the focus should be put on what will grow the hobby/sport and increase participation.

obviously, i have my own opinions about how to 'best' increase participation and how to separate drivers, however this is probably not the correct forum (thread) to do so. i would though be interested to hear what others believe would increase participation.
Very good post and point well taken. I believe that participation starts with enthusiasm.

Example why would I pay to participate in a major event if I didn't feel a great possibility to place well. Or to make it simple "stand a chance at winning."

Most wont which would explain why there are different classes or "skill level" classes.
This is the best way to draw a crowd. While a put up or shut up all in the same class will only draw factory racers and the want to be sponsored racers.

I see it.
1. Factory racer.: Knows why they race and are 100% committed and devoted to the sport of racing. This racer has a lot to lose and more to gain.

2. The privateer racer.: Nows what he wants out of the sport of racing and is chasing it heart and soul. He has nothing to lose a all to gain.
Still trying to justify racing at its expense ETC. Ambition can be frustrating in this sport advancing is slow.
Not fully sure why they are racing and easily discouraged.

3. The true club racer.: "Or the enthusiast" Where we all were at one time. Loves to race and totally obsessed with RC. Nothing to lose nothing to gain and can turn his back and walk at any fragile moment. Its important to cater to this racer in an attempt to make him a #2 racer.
#2 racers may fall back to #3 but usually will stick around its a love of racing.

We all have or will chase the factory boys at one time or another its where we end up that counts. I say make room for the club racer at any event unless its an invitation only.

If a racer feels theres a chance to win or just shine at doing well its generates enthusiasm to race at a higher than club level. The trick is to keep very one at the #2 level and I think the current method is pretty good, but might need more classes in order for more growth? I don't recommend more events though it puts a hurt on club nights.

I reserve the right to be wrong in an attempt to be right.
I keep in mind Mr. Blacks signature on threads like this.

For the want to be racer.........
"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

For us all to practice........and to think about.
"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather than a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
Old 06-10-2008, 07:36 PM
Tech Elite

practice, practice, practice..
Old 06-10-2008, 07:44 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jamminnay
practice, practice, practice..
If you "truly" want to be one of the greats, its a must at any and all costs.
My hats off to the higher achievers its true commitment to be a full on Factory driver.

The greats never stop practicing.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:47 PM
Tech Elite

i just wish i had more time to practice.. when i go race or practice i cannot wait to go again.. it is definetly an addiction i dont have a problem suffering from!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.