Wiki Posts
Search

Ebay "Chop Shop" prices

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 04:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default Ebay "Chop Shop" prices

Can someone please explain why people would pay more for parts from chop shops than they would pay at any online retailer? I placed a bid on some front and rear buggy arms, at a few dollars under retail, and was then outbid , I thought I might experiment and went 3 dollars over retail, and was also immediately outbid . I dont understand the mentality of some people.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:48 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

People are dumb. Simple.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I see it all the time and I have sold a ton on ebay. I do not get it either. I just got a 1/8 off road huddy setup station (no board) today for $150 and I have seen them go for over $200 plus shipping on ebay.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:52 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

also some of those are "lots" they include the Whole rear end....or the Whole Steering rack set-up which when added up does cost quite a bit more....i'll place bids low and if i dont win them.....w/e no sweat off my back....but if you want something bad you might get screwed into paying more then its worth if your not careful.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:57 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Integra
also some of those are "lots" they include the Whole rear end....or the Whole Steering rack set-up which when added up does cost quite a bit more....i'll place bids low and if i dont win them.....w/e no sweat off my back....but if you want something bad you might get screwed into paying more then its worth if your not careful.
This particular instance was for the 4 arms only, not lots.

I have also seen the same ebayer selling the same parts at a buy it now price. I watched an auction go for more that the same seller's own buy it now price, listed a few items below in the listings. I laughed my head off and clicked the buy it now button.

Just trying to understand why people do this.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:00 PM
Tech Adept

Because people are stupid and either dont realise that they can get the same item cheaper else where, or that they are getting ripped off or they are too competitive and just keep bidding til they win!
Old 12-29-2008, 05:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (97%+)

yup ive seen some things that i could not belive but ive also seen some things that pissed me off for losing like nib vspec for like 68 bucks. once i saw a m8 with a buy it now for 125 but people started to bid on it and it went to like 190.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:23 PM
Tech Rookie

It's not going on now, but from mid summer till about 10 days ago, people were using www.live.com and getting cash back for "buy it now" listings on ebay.

Example: Lots of Losi 8ight 2.0 Buggies selling for MAP - $649.99. At one point, you could get 30% cash back for starting your search for your new losi buggy on live.com. You pay $649.99 up front and then Mircosoft would give you $195 back to your paypal account. I know it sounds like total BS.... ask around, read around, lots of people got some killer deals. I even saw some ebay sellers putting a description of how to do this in there listings.

Bottom line is you would see people paying full retail for stuff you could get much cheaper at online hobby shops but when you factored in the live.com cash back, the deal would blow everything else away.

Obviously this doesn't account for all the strange stuff we see on ebay but defineately some of it.

Go to www.live.com and click on the link on the bottom right of the photo named "Save with Live Search Cashback" for more info. Like I said above, the ebay deal is not active right now, but keep an eye out for it to come back.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

couldnt believe it but was bidding on a rb turbo button with bidding plus ship over $30..I bid up to 26(other guy still had it&went in mid$30's g total)and quickly decided to look around and sure enouph on ebay turbo button with shim and plug for like 21 shipped with best offer..I had to sit back and re gather myself i mean losing 5+ bucks several times adds up..gotta be careful for fools..
Old 12-29-2008, 05:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BradSLC
It's not going on now, but from mid summer till about 10 days ago, people were using www.live.com and getting cash back for "buy it now" listings on ebay.

Example: Lots of Losi 8ight 2.0 Buggies selling for MAP - $649.99. At one point, you could get 30% cash back for starting your search for your new losi buggy on live.com. You pay $649.99 up front and then Mircosoft would give you $195 back to your paypal account. I know it sounds like total BS.... ask around, read around, lots of people got some killer deals. I even saw some ebay sellers putting a description of how to do this in there listings.

Bottom line is you would see people paying full retail for stuff you could get much cheaper at online hobby shops but when you factored in the live.com cash back, the deal would blow everything else away.

Obviously this doesn't account for all the strange stuff we see on ebay but defineately some of it.

Go to www.live.com and click on the link on the bottom right of the photo named "Save with Live Search Cashback" for more info. Like I said above, the ebay deal is not active right now, but keep an eye out for it to come back.
I got my NIB MBX6 for $420 shipped using that cashback live..
Old 12-29-2008, 05:33 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

THE TERM FOR THIS IS CALLED SHILL BIDDING. WHEN THE SELLER HAS HIS OR HER FRIENDS BID THE PRICE UP.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I have often wondered about the same thing.

I sell parts on Ebay for many of the 1/8 Buggies and it surprises me how often buyers will bid a high price for an item.

I only do Buy it Now auctions so the buyer can buy the item then and receive it quickly. I often see buyers bidding higher than my Buy it Now price. I will even check my auction title, to make sure I am not missing some keywords.

My only thought is, buyers get "caught up in the moment" and they do not want to lose.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ebay sucks
Old 12-29-2008, 05:47 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by FRANKENSTEIN
THE TERM FOR THIS IS CALLED SHILL BIDDING. WHEN THE SELLER HAS HIS OR HER FRIENDS BID THE PRICE UP.
I doubt this is happening with sellers like Jenny's or RCParts though, Awesome sellers with massive ratings, and very high %
Old 12-29-2008, 05:56 PM
Tech Master

i'll admit i got cought up my very first time bidding on e-bay. i bought a knock off pre-mounted set of crimefighters. i paid $7.00 more than buying real pro-lines. i got cought up my first time.
"idiot"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.