Wiki Posts
Search

Truggy Tire Compound Comparisons

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 11:33 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Truggy Tire Compound Comparisons

So I'm surprised there isn't a source for information regarding the differences between the compounds from each manufacturer. I'm trying to determine which compounds from each are the same or close to each other. If you have run any of these brands in their various compounds feel free to comment on how they compare!

Hot Bodies Pink (Super Soft) vs. AKA Super Soft vs. Duratrax C3 (Super Soft)

Hot Bodies Red (Soft) vs. AKA Soft vs. Losi Green vs. JConcepts Blue (Soft) vs. Duratrax C2 (Soft)

Hot Bodies White (Medium) vs AKA Medium vs. Losi vs. JConcepts Yellow (Medium)

I'm sure there are more out there...but I really just need to know how the different compounds compare to each other. I understand which tires work better on different tracks, but I'm really looking for a hands on "how does it feel" answer here. It's as simple as this...which rubber compound is softer than the other...are all of the medium compounds pretty close...are the soft compounds close...etc.

Thanks
Old 08-29-2011, 01:48 PM
Tech Adept

Ok...is there somewhere this information is already available...I haven't been able to find it. The only information I find says which compound works best on what track conditions. That doesn't tell me how much softer the compound is from one tire to the next.

Anyone?
Old 08-29-2011, 02:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)

??? They are all relatively the same.

The mediums from JC, AKA, Proline, etc will all be about the same hardness. Same with softs, supersofts etc. I don't think there will be big difference between each of the brands, I've never noticed one.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

info on duratrax tires. the C3 are not super soft. they are in between super soft and soft. and C2 are closer to mediums than soft. i have buggy and truggy versions and have tested the tires

hot bodies pink compound are SUPER soft but will outlast any tire out there used to run them but no longer do.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (88%+)

Originally Posted by jmaxey51
info on duratrax tires. the C3 are not super soft. they are in between super soft and soft. and C2 are closer to mediums than soft. i have buggy and truggy versions and have tested the tires

hot bodies pink compound are SUPER soft but will outlast any tire out there used to run them but no longer do.

agreed. i have a set of pink megabites for my truggy and they've lastest longer than the SS gridirons i had did. that and they seem a little softer than AKA, but not a huge difference. I felt some DTX C3 Shotguns for a buggy, def softer than AKA soft, but not as soft as super soft compounds. about the only way to really get a good guage would be for someone to get durometer readings from each of the popular brands.

I find that running SS compounds outside when its hot, track temp 90~120, they usual run really well for around 3 minutes or so and then they start to fade a little. Its not that the tires are wearing, but that they warm up to optimum temp pretty quickly and then when they get past a certain temp they quit working.

This experience come from running Dirt Latemodels(full scale) our 'super soft' 23s come on real fast and run good for 3-4 laps of the heat races and then quit after they get above 110 degrees or so. we've gone to running 33s and they come alive a lap or 2 later, but keep working throughout the race and we keep going forward on them when the car is good.

I typically run M3/blue/red/soft compounds. Going to be trying some C3 duratrax real soon, seem to be a really nice tire. and i have the pink megabites that have run real good for me, but again, when its real hot they give up a bit partway through the race
Old 08-29-2011, 05:53 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

What wheels do the Duratrax truggy tires work with?
Old 08-29-2011, 06:00 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by cordarrow
What wheels do the Duratrax truggy tires work with?
Pro-line VTR ... the duratrax wheels are to soft and flexy
Old 08-29-2011, 08:21 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the info guys. Does anyone have any direct comparisons of the Hot Bodies Red compound to the AKA Soft Compound? Are they pretty close...if one is softer...which one is it?
Old 08-29-2011, 08:39 PM
Tech Master

Pro-line VTR ... the duratrax wheels are to soft and flexy
actually they are LPR 3.7" tires, not VTR which are 4.0"

This is a pair of X-Cons 1/8 scale C3 Truggy Tires with Foam Inserts
from DuraTrax.

FEATURES: Solid and split lug design with "X" design under lugs Ideal for loose, dry and loamy conditions C3 super soft compound developed for exceptional gripping power

INCLUDES: Two X-Cons 1/8 scale C3 Truggy Tires with Foam Inserts

REQUIRES: 1/8 scale truggy wheels Tire glue DTXR2000, DTXR2002

SPECS: Diameter: 5.5" (140mm) Width: 2.4" (60mm) Bead Diameter: 3.7" (94mm)
Old 08-29-2011, 08:52 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by megasaxon
actually they are LPR 3.7" tires, not VTR which are 4.0"
no, i own all the duratrax tires (truggy and buggy), and i can promise you they are VTRs... that is a major typo
Old 08-29-2011, 09:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by clemsonjeep
Thanks for the info guys. Does anyone have any direct comparisons of the Hot Bodies Red compound to the AKA Soft Compound? Are they pretty close...if one is softer...which one is it?
I have some tires of each and in my opinion the aka's feel softer. The HB tires feel less 'rubbery' which I didn't think would work but they hook up awesome. I prefer them over the others for outstanding wear and bite. I have not tried the duratrax tires, yet! Just did some reading on them and all seems to be positive.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:03 AM
Tech Master

no, i own all the duratrax tires (truggy and buggy), and i can promise you they are VTRs... that is a major typo

thanks for the info, just looked at their wheels on tower and they say they are 4.0"
Old 08-30-2011, 05:56 PM
Tech Adept

How about the Duratrax C2 vs. C3 compounds. How do they compare to the HB red and pink compounds?

This is my last request...I think!
Old 08-30-2011, 06:35 PM
Tech Master

based on what i've felt and others' experiences...

HB Pink
DTX C3
HB Red
DTX C2

from soft to hard...
Old 08-30-2011, 06:59 PM
Tech Adept

Thank you! That's exactly what I was looking for! Plain and simple!

THANKS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.