Like Tree86Likes

Hpi Pro 4

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 12:36 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Re: Building a Pro-4

Originally posted by Turbo Joe
I generally don't know my head from my arse, but I like the trick little Yokomo hexes...they have an "ultralight" one that holds the pin in with a little o-ring. REALLY trick and I'd swear it's lighter than the plastic ones. They usually have them at Ultimate or SoCal for 15 bucks or so for a whole set.

I think they may be the stock ones on the SD...even the pin is shorter.
Yup, those will work too. I just like the clamping hexes, I seen some yokes that had the pin back out cause the o-ring slips....
Old 04-08-2004, 05:42 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by AWOLsoldier
stock up on associated diff springs and front gear sets if you can find any. A guy I race with is stripping them like a drunk sorority girl.

thanks

i saw something about the AE diff spring can't remember where though

do you mean the bevel gear on the end of the shaft of the main diff gear?
Old 04-08-2004, 10:10 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default TAMIYA ONE-WAY CF DIFF PLATE

After 10 packs of hard practice runs...no damage to the spur gear...
ran the car hard...multiple roll-overs. running into the boards, the striaghts and high-speed turns...etc.

the only damage I accured is loosing the bearing on the steering plate. would have been cheeper to loose the gear than the bearing...

I was also running a wide lower kydex bumper up front.

I still look forward to getting PRP's diff plate.
Old 04-08-2004, 10:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

stripping them like a drunk sorority girl.

That's a good one!
Old 04-08-2004, 10:23 AM
Tech Regular

Default Re: TAMIYA ONE-WAY CF DIFF PLATE

Originally posted by rc-zombies
After 10 packs of hard practice runs...no damage to the spur gear...
ran the car hard...multiple roll-overs. running into the boards, the striaghts and high-speed turns...etc. . snip. I still look forward to getting PRP's diff plate.
That is great news. What do you guys think? Should we move ahead with getting the part done now, or do another week of testing?

Zombie, Were you breaking gears often before you ran the backing plate? I know Troy was. And from his report his gears lasted through the latest hackfest unscathed
Old 04-08-2004, 10:37 AM
Tech Champion

Default Re: Re: TAMIYA ONE-WAY CF DIFF PLATE

Originally posted by TeamPRP
That is great news. What do you guys think? Should we move ahead with getting the part done now, or do another week of testing?

Zombie, Were you breaking gears often before you ran the backing plate? I know Troy was. And from his report his gears lasted through the latest hackfest unscathed
Tell Troy to not win races and do some major hacking and board slamming....

I only lost 1 gear before the backing plate was installed....mainly during practice runs... wasn't really driving the car really hard, car was still new and getting a feel for the cars handling....with no parts in hand...didn't want to break anything....

also recently installed TC3 style from lower bumper...that seem to help protect the front arms & hubs...

Going to the track again this Friday for more practice runs...
I'll try my hardest to break the gears...
Speeworld's got the Tamiya track layout for the Reedy race...should be fun running in reverse direction.
Old 04-08-2004, 10:43 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: TAMIYA ONE-WAY CF DIFF PLATE

TeamPrP,

I'd say to go ahead and start making the parts. Just be sure to send one my way for additional testing...

Buddha
Old 04-08-2004, 10:45 AM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I really don't think high-traction carpet on a board-barrier track helps any. I know that the two other Pro4's that have been running at Trackside have also been braking gears. The one guy borrowed my last spare gear set, and hasn't been back to the track since. The other broke a gear during practice last tuesday (RCDriverGary). Last week was the first week since our Winterfest race that I didn't at least damage one ( I've run with a gear that only the very tip of a tooth was buzzed ), or break a gear, so It's definately looking good.

I don't mean to make myself out to be the greatest driver in the world, but a lot of these hits have been light, some haven't. This past tuesday was a slam fest, I took several shots that I cringed, and actually thought I buzzed a gear after one of the shots. One of the Tamiya cars was clicking on the track, and I thought it was me . I inspected the gears after the race, and there was no damage.

Ben (TeamPRP ) has raced at Trackside with me, so he's familiar with the track, and the type of driver I am. ( note: waiting for some smart alek responce from RCDriverGary )
Old 04-08-2004, 11:12 AM
Tech Champion

Ben... you may want to send BigDog a prototype to try out...he's top gun at Speedworld with the Pro4.
Old 04-08-2004, 11:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

gents,
i intend to run my pro 4 with a 23t stock motor. what kind of final drive should i gear it for? by the way, how do i gear the car properly based on the motor i'm using? for example, if i'm usin 19 turns, wats the final drive should be without over/under gearing the car? are there any info on the net with regars to my queries? thank you.
Old 04-08-2004, 11:16 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by rc-zombies
Ben... you may want to send BigDog a prototype to try out...he's top gun at Speedworld with the Pro4.
Does he run modified? Please have him contact me if you can.

Thanks!
Ben
Old 04-08-2004, 11:17 AM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by Ares17
gents,
i intend to run my pro 4 with a 23t stock motor. what kind of final drive should i gear it for? by the way, how do i gear the car properly based on the motor i'm using? for example, if i'm usin 19 turns, wats the final drive should be without over/under gearing the car? are there any info on the net with regars to my queries? thank you.
On the HPI Japan site.... you may want to download some of the set-ups sheets for 23T... I've seen them run from 5 - 5.5+/- final drive ratio.

19T... according to the Pro4 tuning guide around 6.2 - 6.3
Old 04-08-2004, 11:19 AM
Tech Champion

Does he run modified? Please have him contact me if you can.

Thanks!
Ben
Yes he does... I'll try to get hold of him to contact you...
Old 04-08-2004, 02:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

note: waiting for some smart alek responce from RCDriverGary
Ask and Ye shall receive:

Tell Troy to not win races and do some major hacking and board slamming....
We don't have to tell him to do this, he does it well enough all on his lonesome

Ben, are you going to the Reedy race? If I get in I "was" going to run my Pro4, but the gear problems are making me thing twice about it and I think I am at least going to bring my Surikarn along.
Old 04-08-2004, 03:45 PM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally posted by RC Driver Gary

We don't have to tell him to do this, he does it well enough all on his lonesome \.
Won't even give me a break on my birthday. Sheesh...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.