How long do your 1/8 buggies last?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How long do your 1/8 buggies last?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 06:25 AM
Tech Addict

Default How long do your 1/8 buggies last?

I'm just curious how long do you guys keep your cars up and running.

Personally I still run my MP9 which is a couple of years old. Granted I've hopped it up along the way and it's now mostly a TKI2.

My MP777 is 5 years old out of the box but barely ran until I bought it a few months back. Still in good condition.

I'm asking because I see a lot of people around me switching cars every 6 months or so. No upgrades maybe just rebuying the same chassis and using the old one for parts. I understand the need to do this though. The warm and humid weather here causes rust if you just leave your car without cleaning for a couple of days. Also it makes sense as six months of hard racing is sure to wear out a buggy quite heavily.

Wondering if its the same on the other side of the world. Do you guys switch cars every half a season or are you like me? Still hanging on to a battered but still effective chassis til it dies.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:30 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (87%+)

i normally buy a new buggy every year for racing, ive had my truggy for a year now and its a keeper, think ill keep running for next year, but do have a couple that just sit on the shelf that are 4 or 5 years old.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Raced my MBX6 3 years before a rebuild was needed.
All diffs were fine however!
Old 09-18-2012, 08:29 AM
Tech Master

alot of it depends on the track you race on i think..if I were to race at one of our other tracks year round my cars would last longer than a year lol...but as it turns out...they usually only see a years hard racing at our local track...even my old mugen MBX6R only lasted 8 months before major rebuild was needed. It doesnt make sense to me to rebuild a car for half or 3/4 the price of a new kit.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Im running the MBX6... Ill keep running it until I cant get parts anymore or until Mugen releases a new kit that I like. I typically replace all the arms, bearings, shock seals, and diff seals after every race day. Once the chassis wears to a certain point it will either be replaced or demoted to a practice buggy.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:58 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob
alot of it depends on the track you race on i think..if I were to race at one of our other tracks year round my cars would last longer than a year lol...but as it turns out...they usually only see a years hard racing at our local track...even my old mugen MBX6R only lasted 8 months before major rebuild was needed. It doesnt make sense to me to rebuild a car for half or 3/4 the price of a new kit.
+1

my track have a lot of killer jumps and is wery hard on the car.
But how many months??
I like to answer in amounth of liter.Personally i wear my car totely dawn before i change it.
And it is a xray xb9.
Normally it takes me around 40 liter.During that time i change bearings clutch tires .Maybe a wing or two and a body.Wery seldom anything else.
After 40 liter for my use the car is stil ok if i change some parts,but prefer to by a new one.I dont race..
I also have a ansmann vapor 4 years old,and it does wery good on display(shelf)
Old 09-18-2012, 08:59 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JamminSP
Im running the MBX6... Ill keep running it until I cant get parts anymore or until Mugen releases a new kit that I like. I typically replace all the arms, bearings, shock seals, and diff seals after every race day. Once the chassis wears to a certain point it will either be replaced or demoted to a practice buggy.
If you want to sell some of them arms with 1 race day on em, let me know. I normally run the same arms until they break.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Nearing the end of the off road season (1 more points race and possible one other big event): 2 local points series, two major races and a handful of practice sessions/days.

Aside from normal wear items like bearings, hinge pins and broken parts, I'll probably look to change the following:

STRR EVO:
-New chassis installed last night. Old one was looking pretty rough
-New screws for the ones exposed on the bottom of the chassis
-New bulkheads, new arms, possibly new hinge pins

MP9 TKI2:
-New screws for the ones exposed on the bottom of the chassis
-New bulkheads, new arms, possibly new hinge pins

All the aluminum parts on both rides are still sparkling new.

Of course, I'll go through and rebuild everything and put fresh oils before I put them to bed for the winter.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:43 AM
Tech Master

A good friend of mine has 24 gallons on his MP9. All he's had to do is swap out a couple bearings and the arms.

Later,
Old 09-18-2012, 10:08 AM
Tech Master

+53 liters on my XRAY 808´11. Still a great car
Old 09-18-2012, 10:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CoryD
A good friend of mine has 24 gallons on his MP9. All he's had to do is swap out a couple bearings and the arms.

Later,
Whoa... Bearings and arms? What the heck am I doing wrong?!
Old 09-18-2012, 10:41 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 305M3
Whoa... Bearings and arms? What the heck am I doing wrong?!
And he did drive pins every 4 gallons; mostly the front center uni if I recall.

Later,
Old 09-18-2012, 12:19 PM
D8
Tech Master

I typically replace all the arms, bearings, shock seals, and diff seals after every race day..
are you for real?
Old 09-18-2012, 12:26 PM
Tech Master

I typically replace all the arms, bearings, shock seals, and diff seals after every race day.
Can I be your hobby store? I'll give you a helluva discount hahahah!

Seriously man; that's over-kill! I have bearings in my MP9 that are 11 gallons old and still feel great. the only maintenance I do, is clean them out with a Q-Tip periodically.

Later,
Old 09-18-2012, 12:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by D8
are you for real?

Yes Im for real. Bearings and seals are cheap. Arms are a little more expensive but a good piece of mind for me......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.