Help with ZV-spec. Lost compression.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help with ZV-spec. Lost compression.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 06:20 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Help with ZV-spec. Lost compression.

I am just getting back into RC Racing. I bought a new V-spec, put it in my buggy and broke in it very carefully. The first time that I ran it in a race, it flamed out after about three minutes. I checked the temp and it actually was running pretty cool, around 200. I rolled the piston back to the bottom as always and when I got back to the pits, the motor had very little compression. I let it cool down, and still very little.

I chalked it up as perhaps something I may have done wrong... although I don't know what, maybe dust, or bad tuning, I don't know. I shelled out another $100 for a new piston and sleeve, broke the motor down and made sure everything looked good and put it back together. Still very little compression. Now I'm stumped. Is there something other than the piston and sleeve that contribute to compression?

What would you do next? Should I send it to OS, there is no warranty on a V-spec.... Would I be better off sending to one of the Mod'ers that I see on this site?

I;m stumped and looking for some direction.

P.S. I bought a Nova N21BF Limited as a backup, broke it in the same way, tuned it the same, and it runs like a champ.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:34 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Have it re-pinched and see if that helps....the only time spec's burn down or loose compression if from being too lean and or running at very poor tune more then a quali or 2....stranger things have happened tho.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Send it to Mark at Powerhouse, read his thread on hear. You will not be disappointed he can make that vspec like new again and you can get well past your monies worth. Trust me you wont be disapointed.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:11 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by JBURCH
Send it to Mark at Powerhouse, read his thread on hear. You will not be disappointed he can make that vspec like new again and you can get well past your monies worth. Trust me you wont be disapointed.

mark does pinching now ?
Old 04-21-2009, 08:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chatzstuff
I am just getting back into RC Racing. I bought a new V-spec, put it in my buggy and broke in it very carefully. The first time that I ran it in a race, it flamed out after about three minutes. I checked the temp and it actually was running pretty cool, around 200. I rolled the piston back to the bottom as always and when I got back to the pits, the motor had very little compression. I let it cool down, and still very little.

I chalked it up as perhaps something I may have done wrong... although I don't know what, maybe dust, or bad tuning, I don't know. I shelled out another $100 for a new piston and sleeve, broke the motor down and made sure everything looked good and put it back together. Still very little compression. Now I'm stumped. Is there something other than the piston and sleeve that contribute to compression?

What would you do next? Should I send it to OS, there is no warranty on a V-spec.... Would I be better off sending to one of the Mod'ers that I see on this site?

I;m stumped and looking for some direction.

P.S. I bought a Nova N21BF Limited as a backup, broke it in the same way, tuned it the same, and it runs like a champ.
I would see what OS has to say, I have ran a few Sometimes one is just not right, I have also ran one that seemed all messed up for Gallons, never let me down, I am by no means the tuning Guru, But I like the V specs I have, I like the SH engines I have, The RB's (Even though I had a Modded one Die Heck., I have had the most issues with any "Modded" Mill) Check with OS, see what they say...MO
Old 04-21-2009, 08:48 PM
Tech Lord

might want to think about who's touching your motor's fast11970....All my Clockwork motor's run well...like clockwork .....i cant remember the last time i had a motor related issue.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Integra
might want to think about who's touching your motor's fast11970....All my Clockwork motor's run well...like clockwork .....i cant remember the last time i had a motor related issue.
I dont have alot of issues, But when I do, They are a bummer, Sometimes I can say it is from me, somtimes they are just But send my a price for one of those clockworks you are runnin...I will try one!
Old 04-21-2009, 10:42 PM
Tech Master

I've had 3 new V-spec's and they never have comp' they'll run great for a few gallons but i've always been able to turn over very easy.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Integra
Have it re-pinched and see if that helps....the only time spec's burn down or loose compression if from being too lean and or running at very poor tune more then a quali or 2....stranger things have happened tho.
i thought he bought a new piston and sleeve after the race???

I will never buy another vspec. dont get me wrong, when its running its the best engine ive had but you play the lottery with the engine. my dads has about 5-6 gallons thru his, i tune it and i also tune mine, my first vspec lasted a gallon in a half, i got it used but it was still brand in new package idk if that makes since lol and the rod blew and cracked the case. so i went and bought one from the store and the rod blew on this one at 3/4rds of a gallon. i put a ninja piston and sleeve in it with tko bearings and im just waitin for the speed rod to break it in so i dont have yet another rod blow. i guess thats the weak point because the vspec doesnt have a lube hole at the crank unlike the speed vspec
Old 04-22-2009, 05:47 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by losi_racer
i thought he bought a new piston and sleeve after the race???

he said they both lost compression.

fast11970>>>PM commin your way soon.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

OS engines feel like that. You can't go by the pinch feel you need to go by performance on the track, if you to keep idling it up to keep it running then it is done.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:22 AM
Tech Rookie

That is why I am confused. When I bought it new, it was REALLY tight. My Novarossi is still tight after 2 gallons, but this V-spec has almost no compression, even after throwing in a new piston and sleeve. I havn't gone through the break-in process with the new piston yet, because I am assuming it is only going to get looser, not tighter, through the process. I would hate to think that I need to get the new sleeve pinched, but I guess it wouldn't shock me.