Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
WILL THE JAMMIN CRT .5 12TH SCALE TRUGGY BE THE NEXT HOT CLASS? >

WILL THE JAMMIN CRT .5 12TH SCALE TRUGGY BE THE NEXT HOT CLASS?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WILL THE JAMMIN CRT .5 12TH SCALE TRUGGY BE THE NEXT HOT CLASS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 03:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 127 (100%+)
Default WILL THE JAMMIN CRT .5 12TH SCALE TRUGGY BE THE NEXT HOT CLASS?

DO YOU THINK THE JAMMIN CRT .5 WILL BECOME THE NEXT HOT CLASS?

THESE 12TH SCALE TRUGGIES LOOK COOL AND HANDLE THE NITRO TRACKS BETTER THAN 2WD OR 4WD ELECTRICS.

PLUS THEY ARE SUPER EASY TO CONVERT TO BRUSHLESS.....

WHAT'S YOUR THOUGHTS......

VIDEO LINKS.......

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...ch&plinde x=8

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=0

BRUSHLESS SPEED RUN........VIDEO

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=7
Old 07-27-2007, 03:59 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

From what I've seen of them on the track, there's 2 things working against them. First, they are too small to handle some or the obstacles on a track made for 8th scale buggies and truggies, and second, they break a lot on the same tracks.

Don't get me wrong, you can get them over the sections I'm talking about, but you have to slow waaaaay down to avoid wrecking/throwing the little thing off the track, or breaking it.

As for breakage, I watched one guy go through 5 metal gear steering servos in a single day of practice with one of these things trying to go fast on a track built for 8th scale.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Hmmm, I'll give it a "maybe". I'm one of about 4 guys that has one in the area. No racing class yet. Cause most of us just consider it a "distraction" something to do, but not take serious in the racing sense as we focus on our 8th scales...

Part of me says, "no" it won't take off, because;
1) They are pretty pricey when you get one all set-up. By the time you are done, you could have bought an 8th scale RC....
2) Too many classes already - Most of the racers I know would like to run two classes, truggy/buggy, truggy/10th scale nitro, etc...Its already hard trying to run two classes at the club level let alone a third. Most guys I know won't even run two classes at the club level as there isn't enough time...

The part of my that says yes...
1) Easier to drive than 10th scale stadium trucks
2) Less expensive engines.
3) "Normal" sized parts, nothing micro-sized

I guess in the end I see it as being a novelty......
Old 07-27-2007, 07:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

we race these on a 1/10 indoor track. since they have been out we have had a class each week ranging from 4 trucks to 10 trucks. i have yet to go anywhere larger to race them,but will try to soon. as far as breakage this truck is by far the strongest vehicle i have owned with only a handfull of broken parts.all of the drivers at my track are also having good luck with durability. the broken servos 9 times out 10 are human error and not the trucks fault, end point adjustments are critical . with this being said i now have almost 5 gallons on my .5 and love it ,although the electric buggys get around the track faster the mini races are a lot more fun and are usally a crowd favorite.

joe
Old 07-27-2007, 07:33 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by fhm555
From what I've seen of them on the track, there's 2 things working against them. First, they are too small to handle some or the obstacles on a track made for 8th scale buggies and truggies, and second, they break a lot on the same tracks.

Don't get me wrong, you can get them over the sections I'm talking about, but you have to slow waaaaay down to avoid wrecking/throwing the little thing off the track, or breaking it.

As for breakage, I watched one guy go through 5 metal gear steering servos in a single day of practice with one of these things trying to go fast on a track built for 8th scale.
Wow, don't know who you've seen driving these things but they are super durable. Only thing I've ever broken on mine was a turnbuckle. If you live in SOCAL, head out to Revelation raceway on a Saturday night and watch these things fly just a good if not better then some of the other 1/8 scalers. If your setup is right, these things stay glued to the ground. Just like any car of any scale, if you give it too much after a corner of course your going to throw it off track. But roll on the throttle like normal and it's on rails. I've had the same metal gear servo on mine since day one and have taken my car to Thunder Alley and Rev and have not had a problem what so ever. Also at Revelation, Wednesday nights is 10th scale night and they run their own CRT.5 class. This track is huge.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

thing i like about them is the cost of engines and kits. engines are 100 bucks or more less and the kits are like half and in more cases less than half the cost of an 1/8th scale. from what i seen with the jammin 12 in one im not really so convinced you need any more to compete (was way too fast as it was lol). is it going to be for everyone? doubt it but for the cost and BEING ALOT more like their larger counter parts than 1/10 scale 2wd gas trucks (at or about the same costs) why not make them an entry level racer/fun class? i see 2 or 3 people a year in my area start up nitro with an 1/8 buggy only to sell it after tanking a 200-300 dollar engine or haveing alot of trouble tuning it. i think with the lower costs and pretty sure a 100 dollar jammin engine would still be competitive in class why not turn people on to it? people break stuff on 8th scales and if it is a gear or a drive shaft you are probably talking about $30++ where on these little guys its 10. being that they are alot alike i think it would be a very good starting racer. engine tuning, clutch set up, suspension, tires 4 wd are all the same just smaller and less expensive. not only that but being that small and that fast i would imagine it would be pretty good on working your reflexes.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:34 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I am curious why these would be better than say a 1/10 scale 4wd nitro truck. If running on a blown out track, main complaint always has been that 1/10 scale buggies get swallowed, 1/10 scale trucks with the larger tires seem to take it better.

With this 1/12 scale vehicle using 1/10 scale buggie tires, seems like you would have the same problem.

Its great that parts are cheap compared to 1/8 scale, but, if it was 1/10 scale would the parts really be a whole lot more expensive?

I guess I just don't see why a 1/12 scale truck is all the range but a 1/10 scale 4wd truck is like the plague.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:06 AM
Tech Master

what is a good 1/10 kit? hpi/hotbodies? do they make one that isnt an rtr? the 1/12 th truggy scoots around a blown out track not much different than a 10th scale 2wd gas truck but in many cases faster lol. in terms of keeping it nitro i think its a good vehicle and for electric it would be cool to do something like a 10th scale 4wd truggy only question to that are they going to make something durable and affordable? when i talk about new types of vehicles i think of how it can run under track conditions (oddly enough that 1/12 did as good if not better than 1/10 4wd did at an all electric race but it did it on a nitro night with ruts lol). meaning if there are alot of nitro tracks make an electric better suited to run it. only problem i see is the majority get used 4 wd's as when the costs of a new one comes close to a losi 8 they seem to go nitro most every time.

Last edited by mugenlife; 07-27-2007 at 12:36 PM.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:33 AM
Tech Elite

I have run my .5 for a long time now and we have fixed the tierods that were snapping off and the servo spring was a lilttle to stiff when the product first came out and that was about the only isssues we've had. I have pounded again and again and my mission was to go out there and try to break parts which I have but only at the cost of running with buggies and truggies at the same time I'm usualy off about sec. off there pace when I push hard to stay with them. I would to see them as a class in the furture which I think will get there but it will take some time.

DJ- Ofna Racing
Old 07-27-2007, 09:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Orderd one Wendsday. Should be here tomorow or Monday.

I have a GTB with a 4.5,5.5, and a 7.5, 2s MaxAmps 6000mah lipo. Just need to order the motor adaptor and pinion gear from RC-Monster. Going brushless because I want an alternative to my LST2. I know they are not really comparable side by side but handeling should be the similar(my LST is not stock).

I was getting 25-30 minutes of run time with the GTB,7.5 and lipo on my XXX-T geared consertavily while still popping wheelies on command.

This thing should be awsome!!
Old 07-27-2007, 04:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jnslprd
....the broken servos 9 times out 10 are human error and not the trucks fault, end point adjustments are critical . with this being said i now have almost 5 gallons on my .5 and love it ,although the electric buggys get around the track faster the mini races are a lot more fun and are usally a crowd favorite.

joe
The guy who broke the servos was running on a track used only by 8th buggies, truggies, and MT's. While some of the larger jumps were taking their toll, it was the ruts plowed up at the jump faces and a long whoop section which was giving him the most trouble. Trust me, the servos were breaking from trying to run at racing speeds over this track as all EPA's were correctly set. Once he slowed down over the rough sections, or avoided them altogether, the servos quit breaking. Only problem was it was boring having to go at little more than a crawl over the bulk of the track. If you like slow racing you might be able to keep one together, otherwise be prepared to keep a good stock of spares on hand.

Several of them showed up at the local tracks right after it came out and without exception, they have all been sold, traded off, or relegated to bashing duty because the owners got tired of breaking them trying to run them on tracks scaled for 8th and MT.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:28 AM
Tech Elite

The baby Jammin is the next hot class! There are places around my area that won't allow the big 1/8 beast on their tracks. When that happens, what to do??? We take out the little guys (truggy). Everybody is happy!
I bought mine when they first came out. I took it to the track and had it painted just like my 1/8th. The guys went nuts. I went over to my LHS and the owner could have hugged me. There were 6 orders for the truggy after the race.
It is the next class. 1/10 stadium truck might go extinct like the 235mm car. There are even guys that converted their CRT.5's to electric. These truggys are everywhere and will be running year round.