Wiki Posts
Search

HPI Hellfire SS Kit Build & Long Term Review

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 11:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Clangeddin
So madhacker have you tested this out how it work out?
Sorry guys, I ended up with a brutal work schedule all week and I had virtually no spare time at all for hobbying so I haven't had time to install Hellsavage's custom bronze servo saver yet. I'll try to get it installed before the races next Sunday.

Johnboy - thanks for the complement, we're all happy to have been helpful for ya! Even helping one or two guys out makes putting the effort into getting photos and details to post on this thread all worth while.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:24 AM
Tech Elite

Hey guys, why don't we all take the Hellfire setup sheet and mark down where we race (country & track), our setups, and the track dirt type and conditions. If we all post our setup sheets here, then others will be have a few choices for setups and can report back as to what works well for them also!

Here's a re-post of the setup that I have found works excellent at the GPMRA track here in Grande Prairie (Canada). This setup works so well that I will be using it to start every race. Our track surface is dry clay with lots of loose dust on top. Traction is low to medium most days. I use lots of suspension travel on our track due to the large jumps and bumpy rutted surface. There isn't a lot of cornering traction so I have had to try to coax every bit of steering out of the Hellfire that I can by using the correct tires and setups.
Attached Thumbnails HPI Hellfire SS Kit Build & Long Term Review-greggs-july-21_07-setup-sheet-works-excellent-.jpg  

Last edited by MadHacker; 07-30-2007 at 10:28 PM.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:53 AM
Tech Elite

Here's a link to a blank setup sheet for y'all to print, fill out, scan in, and post here as a jpg.

http://www.grandeprairiercaction.net...etup_sheet.pdf <-- sorry, the link no longer works :-( If you would like a copy of this sheet, PM me with your email and I'll see if I can find it on my hard drive and send it to you. (March 4, 2009)

Last edited by MadHacker; 03-04-2009 at 10:12 PM.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:30 PM
Tech Adept

Heres mine
Great idear this way we can learn from othere Hellfire drivers all over the world.
btw its for a grass track with a lot off tracktion and a lot of bumps.

mzl Hellsavage
Attached Thumbnails HPI Hellfire SS Kit Build &amp; Long Term Review-herschaalde-kopie-van-set-up-sheet-hellfire-07070301.jpg  
Old 07-29-2007, 07:24 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Hellsavage
Heres mine
Great idear this way we can learn from othere Hellfire drivers all over the world.
btw its for a grass track with a lot off tracktion and a lot of bumps.

mzl Hellsavage
Thanks Hellsavage.

I had some time this evening, so I installed the bronze servo saver part you sent me. I also took some photos of some mods that I did to help increase steering throw.

1. Picture of the bronze servo saver installed. After comparing the plasic-plastic to the bronze-plastic versions, I'de have to say that the bronze-plastic definitely has way less "stick". It operates much smoother. I'll let you all know how it works on the track.

2. In order to ensure that the servo can throw the servo horn all the way, I had to install a slightly longer servo horn to keep the rod end from running into the servo case. The new servo horn is only a couple of millimeters longer than the stock one, but it is enough to do the job. Also, if a person uses a servo horn that is too long it will increase steering speed, but will reduce torque.

3. I removed the rubber servo grommets as the bottom edge of the servo saver was running into the washer here. With the servo moved back in it's mount a few millimeters, this solved that problem. I don't think the truck needs these shock absorbing rubber grommets anymore as the servo has a metal gear train, and the servo saver works smoothly.

4. These are the rubber servo grommets that I removed.

5. Now that I've got the rest of the steering mechanism fixed so that it can throw further, a slight grind to the caster blocks finished the job to allow for more throw.

When I was done, I found that I was able to turn up the endpoint adjustments on my radio from 100 to 135 to take advantage of my new found steering throw.
Attached Thumbnails HPI Hellfire SS Kit Build &amp; Long Term Review-bonze-servo-saver-installed.jpg   HPI Hellfire SS Kit Build &amp; Long Term Review-longer-servo-horn.jpg   HPI Hellfire SS Kit Build &amp; Long Term Review-removal-servo-grommets.jpg   HPI Hellfire SS Kit Build &amp; Long Term Review-servo-grommets.jpg   HPI Hellfire SS Kit Build &amp; Long Term Review-caster-block-mod.jpg  

Last edited by MadHacker; 07-29-2007 at 11:41 PM.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:07 AM
Tech Adept

@Madhacker
Nice job. In othere words so far so good.
Watch out when U lap othere drivers on the inside of a corner with all this stiring U have now U might scare theme

mzl Hellsavage
Old 07-30-2007, 10:25 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Hellsavage
@Madhacker
Nice job. In othere words so far so good.
Watch out when U lap othere drivers on the inside of a corner with all this stiring U have now U might scare theme

mzl Hellsavage
LOL! I am now at the point where the truck is not the weakness in my racing... it's ME! LOL... I need practice time so I can learn to more fully utilize the truck's capabilities.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:04 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Anyone here have a helios EX-10 radio, will it work with other brand of digital servo like Futaba, Hitech....?
Old 08-01-2007, 09:55 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Yes you can use any digital servos you want. My trucks only down fall is the driver also. LoL
Old 08-02-2007, 11:56 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Do anyone know if you can get aluminium Throttle servo arm? The one comes with is plastic.

If so can someone direct me to the website or company who makes it.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Dynamite makes aluminum servo horns.

On another note I saw on ebay Aluminum streering arm for the HF's servo saver like Hellsavage made.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:09 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Clangeddin
Do anyone know if you can get aluminium Throttle servo arm? The one comes with is plastic.

If so can someone direct me to the website or company who makes it.
...You'll need to be sure to get a servo arm that has the correct number of splines to fit the output shaft of your specific servo...
Old 08-03-2007, 11:55 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks madhacker for the pics! I inspected mine and found that I have to do the mods to the caster blocks.

I broke down and bought a mach 28 for really cheap, now it is on the work bench waiting on the rtv sealent to dry before I finish the install. It seems to be a nicely constructed mill with a bump start back plate.

Do any of you guys have any experience with this motor? I'm kinda wondering if it was worth the $100 bucks and not running the axial 28 anymore. Thanks for your input!
Old 08-04-2007, 01:51 AM
Tech Adept

@poup54
What happend to the STS D30M dit it broke down or what.
I still have it but now its my spare engine. I run a modded v-spec now.

mzl Hellsavage

p.s. Madhacker are U gone test it this weekend?
Old 08-04-2007, 01:58 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by MadHacker

2. In order to ensure that the servo can throw the servo horn all the way, I had to install a slightly longer servo horn to keep the rod end from running into the servo case. The new servo horn is only a couple of millimeters longer than the stock one, but it is enough to do the job. Also, if a person uses a servo horn that is too long it will increase steering speed, but will reduce torque.
I made the servo saver 1 mm longer. So it whould line up exactly straight in the length of my car. I use a TT 1015 servo 14.5 kg standard servo horn came with the servo.
Just for info.

mzl Hellsavage

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.