Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Northwest Racers
VANC/PDX racers please fill out survey for prospect location/type of track! THANKS! >

VANC/PDX racers please fill out survey for prospect location/type of track! THANKS!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree18Likes

VANC/PDX racers please fill out survey for prospect location/type of track! THANKS!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 12:09 AM
Tech Rookie

Default VANC/PDX racers please fill out survey for prospect location/type of track! THANKS!

Here's 10 question survey regard collecting information from R/C community to narrow down type and location for a track to establish. Please copy and paste because R/C Tech only allow certain numbers of post before post URLs. Thanks!!

surveymonkey.com/r/BSYB6KG

P.S. This is just for me to get an idea of where this can lead to. Nothing is promising right now but I would like to see something to start.
Old 05-08-2017, 03:01 PM
Tech Rookie

I reviewed results and so far received 13 responses. I will exhibit the results by this weekend. This sure helps narrow down to specific areas where best suits and to ensure have efficient operation of the track. Please spread this to more RC racers!

Last edited by nwsc5m; 05-08-2017 at 08:06 PM.
Old 05-13-2017, 05:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

excited for this
nwsc5m likes this.
Old 05-13-2017, 09:45 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Completed survey and some thoughts to open a track

Hello RCers

In survey received 35 responses and I included the summary of the survey in this thread. Over the week when the survey was collecting, there were some ideas came from some RCers and I thought I should combine the ideas and the results of the survey to this thread. Below those are rough ideas and open to feedback, although like to narrow down to like mind racers and perform in an executive process to reach the goal of successful track. I like the CO-OP idea if the process works out. Here are some ideas:

The cost of membership per month and the number of uses on track:

$25.00 = Up to 3 races and 3 practices.
$50.00 = Up to 5 races and 5 practices.
$75.00 = Up to 8 races and 8 practices.
$100.00= Unlimited races and practices and access to building at anytime.

I been searching for warehouses in PDX and VANC and notice variety of owners tends to lease out month to month, one year, or 3 years, etc, plus some utilities and business license fees expenses. If finding the right place, are members interest to commit to pay until the end of the lease term? If the members agree to, then this would lease likely violate the contract or put a burden on the operator of track. This also depends on the numbers of membership. Possibility start on the new thread, of who's interested to pay for which amount and get the general idea of the total membership payments. And of course, the membership fees will not be collected until start of lease for the warehouse.

In the survey, popular RC is the 1/10 scale buggy. Unless the survey collects more response (I will leave survey open for next week), I think we should open a track for 1/10 scale only. After a year of track success and the positive revenue flow, then consider expansion to 1/8 scale. That possibly need larger warehouse or establish at someone else property. Also would like to make this track a non-profit business. The executive members must have at least 2 treasurers to operate a credit union account. Possibly file a 501C for taxes?

Also, in survey clay track is the popularity, I am more of a carpet guy but if the executive members and memberships gather majority of vote for either clay or carpet, I d go for either one of them. Although sometimes warehouses will not accept clay, so we can leave this as open option?

The popular location is South PDX, maybe find a warehouse near I-205 in Foster Rd area or further north or south.

In survey, at start up of business, majority of respondent is willing to pay for membership. If we reach out to RCers and gather enough members we might have a good start up. A lot of volunteers needed.

The track will need equipment and supplies to have the basic function of the track running:

Time Lap Computer with a table and chair
Building supplies Racer Stands, track walls, jumps, pit stops, etc.
Carpet or Clay
Pipes for layout
More?

Let's see this going!

If have any questions about the survey, ask away!
Attached Thumbnails VANC/PDX racers please fill out survey for prospect location/type of track! THANKS!-part2.png   VANC/PDX racers please fill out survey for prospect location/type of track! THANKS!-part3.png  

Last edited by nwsc5m; 05-13-2017 at 10:15 PM.
Old 05-13-2017, 10:10 PM
Tech Rookie

Old 06-04-2017, 01:52 PM
Tech Rookie

Hey, very exciting to read this!! Sorry I didn't see this sooner.

Seems like this is mainly for Off-Road... But was wondering if this could be also for indoor carpet for 1/12 cars?!

Looking at the current results with the majority for carpet off-road in south portland, what's wrong with RC Plus in Salem???

Again I would be highly interested for a carpet onroad track for 1/12 in the south portland area and willing to spend money and time to make this happen!! Also I could provide equipment like computers and screens

Curious to see where this goes.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:19 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dr_best
Hey, very exciting to read this!! Sorry I didn't see this sooner.

Seems like this is mainly for Off-Road... But was wondering if this could be also for indoor carpet for 1/12 cars?!

Looking at the current results with the majority for carpet off-road in south portland, what's wrong with RC Plus in Salem???

Again I would be highly interested for a carpet onroad track for 1/12 in the south portland area and willing to spend money and time to make this happen!! Also I could provide equipment like computers and screens

Curious to see where this goes.
Several of our Tuesday Night regulars at RCP are from the Wilsonville/Canby area but people north of there can't get past the 5/205 choke point heading south in any sort of reasonable amount of time on a weekday.

As far as the broader idea to where this goes, anyone getting involved needs to realize a transponder decoder box costs $3k by itself and then start working the budget from there...
Old 06-05-2017, 02:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The only thing I would add, from Ownership standpoint, based on YEARS of racing in the NW, Indoor tends to be seasonal. Not that people wouldn't come inside for Clay, however, with nice sunny days, the "Cabin Fever" tends to set in and the desire to race outside usually is stronger than indoor (inside temps , etc also play a role)

HOWEVER......

Since The PDX/Vanc area has been w/o a local track, it may be a moot point and the local desire to race or practice, whatever the surface, could be a draw. As far as the dues or participation aspect, One of the challenges for the Prev. indoor tracks has come when Track changes are needed. Often time, race nights might yeild 20-50 racers, but when it comes to the actual track change, usually only a couple of folks 3-5 of the dedicated racers actually participate and BUILD the track. Having some element of "community service" might be an added touch so its not the same people doing the same work, with little help from others.

Also, its not just a matter of building a layout and throwing in jumps. Track construction, esp when it comes to Clay, requires prep, proper construction and time for the track to settle before you turn loose cars on it. People who have built tracks and know what is needed are key to keeping it interesting, but also consistency.

I'll be watching for updates.

MOmo
Old 06-24-2017, 12:07 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Proposition

Hey all,

I wanted to throw this plug in and see what comes back;

-Say I know a businessman who owns property/buildings all over Oregon.

-May already own a suitable space, or if persuaded could purchase a space (in the Portland Metro Area).

-Isn't interested in renting/leasing his property to marijuana operations (so there goes the competition on that front).

Discuss!
Old 06-26-2017, 01:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pdxrc2838
Hey all,

-May already own a suitable space, or if persuaded could purchase a space (in the Portland Metro Area).

-Isn't interested in renting/leasing his property to marijuana operations (so there goes the competition on that front).

Discuss!
First off-
-Summer-Time Indoor in Portland has/can be a struggle (esp. when Daves and other OUTDOOR tracks are available)

-Location Location Location - Making it convenient to not just PDX, but also Vancouver as well as West side

-You won't make everyone happy - There are DIE-HARD Clay and dirt guys, but it presents its own problems with water, moisture (mold) and maintenance. And the other tracks within proximity - Salem and Albany are Turf/Carpet. For clay- Tacoma or Cottage are the closest indoor.

I think racers would welcome a Portland area track, but appeasing everyone is a difficult challenge. IMO Racing is Racing, no matter the surface. I think if you know someone with empty space, to have a reasonable track, a space thats >8k sq ft is pretty safe. We can play on smaller tracks, and again ANY track would be welcomed, but if there is a space 5-8k sq ft, people would appreciate it.

There are lots of other factors, but its a start.

Portland misses it racing, but also be mindful of the other tracks and not stepping on anyone elses toes is good for business too.

MOmo
Old 06-27-2017, 09:07 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pdxrc2838
Hey all,

I wanted to throw this plug in and see what comes back;

Discuss!

Interesting...
I hate to be the guy who is always bringing the cold water but...
Having been involved in the search for alternate buildings for Premier after a very anti-pot landlord rented it out from under them as it turns out getting a cold call offering more than double the current rate will change any competent businessman's mind about that industry, we found that the few remaining "no pot" landlords still wanted rents that were raised to the new floor for what 6-10k sqft was going for courtesy of that industry. Those rents were now often more than what the highest grossing month grossed just by themselves or in other words, even those who won't rent to the pot industry want to have their cake and eat it too. If a business that grosses 75% of it's revenue from the shop can't begin to approach those levels, a theoretical club that relies on member revenue could afford about 7sq ft of space in the PDX-metro area. Subleasing zoned-warehouse space doesn't really work because you probably won't get a permit for the club's "public gatherings" in such a space and running races like a late-90's rave isn't a good long term strategy.

We'd need to be talking outright charity from someone who really wants to have an RC-track or a very aggressive tax write-off.

The reality is that much as Tacoma RC relates to Seattle, Salem/Albany relate to PDX in terms of keeping a full-time, year-round track on the right side of the cost/revenue equation. Something in PDX would need to follow the model of the carpet OnRoad program in Seattle or the OffRoad program ran by DieHard. Revenue would need to be raised to buy carpet, build jumps, buy the amb system, scoring program, etc. and then find a place like a rec center/gym/etc. to house it for 12 hours once a week, not 12 months.
Sorcerer001, KR145 and T-Hawk like this.
Old 06-27-2017, 03:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Find a 10,000+ facility for under 4k. Have around $30 grand to get started and maybe you have a shot.

I'm with Mark, the only sane way to keep racing in the area is use the temp track setup.

Time to get into FPV i guess.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Support RCSR and Dave's. Drive to Salem and support RC Plus. RCSR is working on the temp/mobile track solution. We don't necessarily need another option - we need to throw a ton of support at the existing options.
Up until fairly recently (and possibly to this day), Alpenrose has been willing to provide a good size chunk of land for a track out in the Beaverton area at no cost. Tammie's had a track out there about 20 years ago, which they backed away from due to the lack of help with track maintenance. Free land in the center of one of the most densely populated areas in the state, and still managed to fail.
Support Rose City Scale Racing for local on road, Dave's and RC Plus for off road. As previously mentioned, RCSR is working on an option for indoor carpet when the weather turns. The more racers, the more likely we'll see positive changes down the road.
KR145, T-Hawk and SC Shaun like this.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sorcerer001
Support RCSR and Dave's. Drive to Salem and support RC Plus. RCSR is working on the temp/mobile track solution. We don't necessarily need another option - we need to throw a ton of support at the existing options.
Up until fairly recently (and possibly to this day), Alpenrose has been willing to provide a good size chunk of land for a track out in the Beaverton area at no cost. Tammie's had a track out there about 20 years ago, which they backed away from due to the lack of help with track maintenance. Free land in the center of one of the most densely populated areas in the state, and still managed to fail.
Support Rose City Scale Racing for local on road, Dave's and RC Plus for off road. As previously mentioned, RCSR is working on an option for indoor carpet when the weather turns. The more racers, the more likely we'll see positive changes down the road.
Well said. The biggest challenge is finding new blood. I see AE and Losi are putting out some decent almost ready to run race kits. We need to work with the local hobby shops to promote and get fresh blood out to the track. Social media, youtube, ect. We need some grass roots marketing.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sorcerer001
Normally I would agree with you but, as already stated coming from the vancouver area it takes too long to get to the tracks down south. It can take a couple hours just to drive from vancouver to wilsonville on I-205 in the afternoons. By the time you get to the southern tracks you're too late and racing has already begun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.