Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premounts -vs- Glue yourself to them

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 05:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I'm running losi premounts, which is just a GRP tire on a Dish wheel, they do a beautiful job getting them glued to the rims
Old 08-06-2008, 08:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wild gopher
You have to ask yourself this:
Who do you trust more, a sweatshop in China gluing your tires, or yourself?
I think Panthers are made in the US, so you can put your trust in an American sweat shop. For everybody that is claiming to hate gluing tires...... try an OFNA tire glue machine. I love mine and make quick, very neat work of my tires.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:46 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I hate gluing its like a 3rd job. I run the Proline and the panther with no issues at all.

I do like putting my own foam choices in but just got tired of gluing.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

+1 on the ofna tire glueing machine for 1/8 buggy tire, only wish they made 1 for truggy tires.LOL makes tire glueing 10x easier
Old 08-06-2008, 09:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I don't trust anyone to glue my tires. I do it all, even though I hate it. But I know I won't have a tire come apart in a race.....
Old 08-06-2008, 11:56 PM
Tech Adept

Sorry, don't trust any pre-mounts. Pro-Line have to be the WORST IMO. they only glue the outside 1-2mm of the tyre, and the rims are rubbish anyway.
GRP I haven't had any issues with, though I have only tried their truggy versions.
VP Pro are hit and miss, and the inserts are sketchy.
Medial Pro seemed quite good, though I don't believe they are available any more...
At least if you do it yourself you only have one person to blame if it fails half way through a main.
Once you find a technique that works for you you can glue up a set in around 1/2 hour with relatively glue-free fingers.
My favorite weapon - thin CA
Old 08-07-2008, 04:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by UNSTABLE
My favorite weapon - thin CA
Yep the right glue makes all the difference in the world. I used to use medium stuff and hated gluing tires. Since I switched to thin, I don't mind doing it and it's a ton faster too. Also much cleaner with the thin.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:26 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

My proline premounts always come apart, I have a set of grp premounts for over a year that are still glued together, they just don't work all that well at my trck.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:38 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Steve Walters
I don't trust anyone to glue my tires. I do it all, even though I hate it. But I know I won't have a tire come apart in a race.....

My thought's Exactly.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:42 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cleblanc
where are you getting the grp tires and what are the prices like compared to proline?
Here are the ones I tried and had great results
http://www.losipartshouse.com/servle...y-Buggy/Detail
Old 08-07-2008, 09:13 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Losi pre mounts are awful! I just bought a set of 1/8th scale buggy wheel
(Step-pins) the gluing is so bad on two them, that Iwill not run them.
About a third of the tire bead is showing causing the wheel to wobble.
Pro-line and GRP make great pre-mounts
Old 08-07-2008, 09:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

i cant believe all of you are having trouble with pro line pre mounts.. i bet i have had twenty sets this year and have not had one come unglued yet?
Old 08-07-2008, 09:49 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by topcat-lll
Losi pre mounts are awful! I just bought a set of 1/8th scale buggy wheel
(Step-pins) the gluing is so bad on two them, that Iwill not run them.
About a third of the tire bead is showing causing the wheel to wobble.
Pro-line and GRP make great pre-mounts

yes losi's step pins from what ive seen have been horrible as well......were they out of a kit by chance ? the ones that i saw took less then 2 laps to come completely OFF the rims....1 wheel survived....but the other 3 were spittin foams....and when u look at the bead u can see a 1-2mm wide band of thin glue around the outer lip and Thats IT....the 4th wheel took a 5yr old's muscle to remove aswell.....Losi and Grp Are the same now....but on some level's there COMPLETELY different....1 thing i find with the GRP's is the Compound of the rubber Must be different...as when i do a Thin bead as a final glueing the GRP's hold that edge 100X better then a proline would and rarely need retouching.....and if it does...the proline seems to Chunk out the glue on the lip...its kinda hard to explain...but my local buddy's are starting to see this now and try Other brands of tires....buddy's in another province shaved Seconds off his Average lap time's when he swapped to a set of Gator's and are proving to outlast any proline they have previously ran.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:51 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by jamminnay
i cant believe all of you are having trouble with pro line pre mounts.. i bet i have had twenty sets this year and have not had one come unglued yet?

buddy had a set of LPR crime's and Bow's....both sets had poor glue jobs...to the point i needed to clean em REAL good 1 night and essentially reglue big patch's that had broken loose.....imo premounts still suck all around.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:25 AM
Tech Adept

Has anyone tried the JConcepts 1/8th tires? We are focusing on having the best 1/8th tires available and we are considering offering them premounted in the future. I'm confident the glue quality and glue job we can provide is good but what tread pattern and wheel combination would you like to see premounted? We have dish wheels, spoke wheels as well as 2 different off-sets for truggy. Now, everything cannot be premounted so some favorites or off-sets will have to be left out. Suggestions or comments?

I also understand wanting to glue them yourself, how about the tire and wheel mounted but not glued? We can't have every option but I'm just trying to get some feedback as to the more popular option.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.