Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree7Likes

Hot Bodies TCXX

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 11:51 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the answer. But:
- "wasting a lot of money on brand new parts" as you call it is of course mine to decide
- I've had second hand cars, long ago. Never again
- please be more specific as to the upgrade kit. Money is no issue here. My worries are the quality of the kit. Because I hear and read about wrong parts, wrong colour and so on. Please elaborate
- as to the spur gears: that question wasn't answered. Could you please do so
- as to the servo: that question also wasn't answered. Could you please do so

And yes, I also like the HB colour more than the XRay colour. But that isn't a dealbreaker, imho.
I also don't like the fact that at the end of a year you have a "dated" car. But one could say:"I don't give a rats ass... ;-)"
Old 08-07-2014, 12:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

yes, the TCXX comes with a panaracer spur - but any spur will fit the chassis.

as to which is better, that's more of a personal preference IMO
Old 08-07-2014, 03:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nick Heldens
Thanks for the answer. But:
- "wasting a lot of money on brand new parts" as you call it is of course mine to decide
- I've had second hand cars, long ago. Never again
- please be more specific as to the upgrade kit. Money is no issue here. My worries are the quality of the kit. Because I hear and read about wrong parts, wrong colour and so on. Please elaborate
- as to the spur gears: that question wasn't answered. Could you please do so
- as to the servo: that question also wasn't answered. Could you please do so

And yes, I also like the HB colour more than the XRay colour. But that isn't a dealbreaker, imho.
I also don't like the fact that at the end of a year you have a "dated" car. But one could say:"I don't give a rats ass... ;-)"
I LOVE no budget issues! Having read that, if Xray was purple, then I'd be driving the Xray... But since I like purple, then HB it was for me!

I wouldn't worry so much about the upgrade kit having "wrong parts". I believe it was just a "wrong description" regarding the shock shafts. I didn't read anything about a wrong color.

For spur gears, I disagree that you can just "use anything". Depending on the motor mount that you use (I believe there are 3), setting the pinion mesh would be harder if you use the original TCX (not TCXX) motor mount. You would use the original TCX motor mount since it brings the motor closest to the center line of the car. Thus, for spurs, I would use the HB spurs which have holes cut out that would allow easier access to the motor screws. Having said that, I use various ones since I typically set the motor and pinion down once and leave it at that setting (I typically run 17.5 only). So it isn't too much of a bother for me unless I run modified where I would have to keep trying out various pinion ratios.

For servos, I would use the fastest SAVOX servos available.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:18 PM
Tech Champion

I've made my statement because I've used kimborough, panaracer, leespeed, RW, 3Racing, and a xenon - all worked without issue.

then again, I'm using the TCX motor mount - but I've never had an issue setting the mesh, unless I'm using a super big pinion. are some easier to use then others, sure - but in terms of fitting, I've never had issues with all the brands I've listed above

I normally run USVTA or 17.5 with the car - so I typically have a smaller spur and larger pinion
Old 08-07-2014, 06:28 PM
Tech Elite

To you that are racing a HB car. Do you have many others at your track running HB as well? Or do you find yourself alone in a sea of Xray, AE, Tamiya, Yokomo and others? I haven't seen another HB car in GA, TN or AL in many years. I've been rollin' Han's style a long time. SOLO!

My last race at ThunderRC in Nashville was a complete XRAY-fest! lol
Old 08-07-2014, 06:53 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by ShaunMac
To you that are racing a HB car. Do you have many others at your track running HB as well? Or do you find yourself alone in a sea of Xray, AE, Tamiya, Yokomo and others? I haven't seen another HB car in GA, TN or AL in many years. I've been rollin' Han's style a long time. SOLO!

My last race at ThunderRC in Nashville was a complete XRAY-fest! lol
same where I am there's one other TCXX in the area, but he usually uses his xray over the HB chassis

if you're going to be at the southern nats, there'll be at least 1 more TCXX there - mine
Old 08-07-2014, 09:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by k_bojar
same where I am there's one other TCXX in the area, but he usually uses his xray over the HB chassis

if you're going to be at the southern nats, there'll be at least 1 more TCXX there - mine
may be 1 more
Old 08-07-2014, 11:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ShaunMac
To you that are racing a HB car. Do you have many others at your track running HB as well?
same thing with me. I have an old timer as a team mate because I can help him with his car. I think running solo helps you fine tune and understand the car much more, since you are the one trying all the setup changes. Rather than a bunch of racers just telling you what to change.

I still think all high end cars are the same speed, just different handling characteristics.

Last edited by goots; 08-08-2014 at 12:02 AM.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:27 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by goots
same thing with me. I have an old timer as a team mate because I can help him with his car. I think running solo helps you fine tune and understand the car much more, since you are the one trying all the setup changes. Rather than a bunch of racers just telling you what to change.

I still think all high end cars are the same speed, just different handling characteristics.
Same here, not many people run the TCXX but I love it. I think it is definitely true regarding tuning setups as you try something and see what effect it has rather than always copying someone else's setup.

I've only ever used HB spurs and I always use the TCX mount as I feel the handling is sharper and more consistant. I believe the panaracer spurs or the Xenon VSS spurs would have the necessary cut outs to make meshing easier.

I use the Savox SC-1251MG Low Profile servo which is very good and a great price:

Dimensions: 40.8 x 20.2 x 25.4mm
Weight: 44.5g
Speed (sec/60°): @4.8v 0.1, @6.0v 0.09
Torque (kg-cm): @4.8v 7, @6.0v 9
Gear: Metal
Case: Aluminium Heat Sink

I upgraded to CSO low profile shock towers, Tamiya DCJ's, Roche Floating servo mount and T-Shox short shocks. The TCXX official upgrade kit looks very expensive and I got bored of waiting

In this guise it is the best handling touring car I've driven to date. Very stable, rotates well and I find it easier to place where I want it on the track.

Last edited by dvaid852456; 08-10-2014 at 02:17 AM.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by dvaid852456
Same here, not many people run the TCXX but I love it. I think it is definitely true regarding tuning setups as you try something and see what effect it has rather than always copying someone else's setup.

I've only ever used HB spurs and I always use the TCX mount as I feel the handling is sharper and more consistant. I believe the panaracer spurs or the Xenon VSS spurs would have the necessary cut outs to make meshing easier.

I use the Savox SC-1251MG Low Profile servo which is very good and a great price:

Dimensions: 40.8 x 20.2 x 25.4mm
Weight: 44.5g
Speed (sec/60°): @4.8v 0.1, @6.0v
Torque (kg-cm): @4.8v 7, @6.0v 9
Gear: Metal
Case: Aluminium Heat Sink

I upgraded to CSO low profile shock towers, Tamita DCJ's, Roche Floating servo mount and T-Shox short shocks. The TCXX official upgrade kit looks very expensive and I got bored of waiting

In this guise it is the best handling touring car I've driven to date. Very stable, rotates well and I find it easier to place where I want it on the track.
my cso front tower is a defect it off centered i may get another on i want to install my new shocks
Old 08-09-2014, 10:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc3 racer sc
my cso front tower is a defect it off centered i may get another on i want to install my new shocks
Which short shocks are you using
Old 08-10-2014, 06:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

RW spurs are definitely the best for me, but they are quite hard to find in 116T in my area.

I'm using KO RSX10, fast, solid, reliable. I'm also using OMG servos, which are a little bit heavier but faster than everything else...
Old 08-10-2014, 01:53 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by k_bojar

Not many racers left running HB cars anywhere these days it seems. I've had good luck with my Cyclone, TCX and TCXX cars over the years. Some parts availability issues at times, but I feel no need to switch to anything else. The A-Matix is the only car that has peaked my interest for it's performance. Those car's really do behave differently than the current crop of belt cars. And for 17.5-type classes on smaller high-bite tracks they are an advantage in the right hands. Corner-speed and RIP out of the hole are turned to 11 on this car! lol

Wish I could make the S.Nats race in September. The TC class has some real talent signed up already. But even the club races at Thunder are stacked. There were 4 heats of 17.5 alone yesterday. Plus VTA, USGT and 12th scale. 50 or so entries. Good times.

Good luck at the Nats. If I'm able to make this race somehow I'll be sure to stop by and introduce myself.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by goots
Which short shocks are you using
cso shocks the front tower is not right it off centered
Old 08-10-2014, 08:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default measuring droop with shocks or without

i have seen folks measure droop with shocks and sway bars attached and some not attached, which one the best way and also i know yall notice the tcxx book never gave a droop measurement on arms i just cant get my tcxx planted enuff i want to feel it when im driving and right now i dont

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.