Wiki Posts
Search

Truggy Tire for Hard Packed Clay

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 09:01 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default Truggy Tire for Hard Packed Clay

I'm new to truggy and wanted to find out what's a good tire for hard packed clay in South Florida hotter climate. It's not hot now but will be! The track has just been re-surfaced with good clay and is very hard. I believe they treated the clay. Its almost like glass in appearance. There is slight dust at times. I tested it for a couple tanks with my buggy using bow-ties M2 and it done fair but slippery in turns. I tried a set of Bow-tie M3 but did not feel good at all. I wasn't too easy on the throttle with M3 and pulled most tread off in 1 lap. The main question here is good Truggy tires.

Any ideas will be great so I don't waste money in the wrong direction. MBX5T P
Old 02-11-2011, 09:17 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Up here in IL, we've had really good luck with Clay BOA's from Panther. Only thing is they were made for Monster Trucks and require some work to make them fit a truggy tire. I've also run Super Soft Grid Irons and they work good too.

Being that your in Florida these may not work for you. The best thing you can do is ask the guys you race with. Hint: (For best results, Ask the Fast Guys)
Old 02-11-2011, 09:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Don't run truggy anymore, but absolutely loved running revolvers on indoor high bite clay. Like the other guys said, ask you local fast guys.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Something with a small pin. Such as VP pro turbo trax, Proline holeshots or revolver, or AKA gridirons.
www.vp-pro-usa.com
VP Turbo Trax

www.prolineracing.com
Proline holeshots

Proline Revolvers

www.raceaka.com
Aka Gridirons

My personal preference is the VP Turbo Trax, due to their light weight, price, and longer lasting rubber compound. You'll do just fine with any of the tires listed above.

When selecting hard, medium, or soft- keep in mind that soft gives you better traction and hard lasts longer. Since you're starting, you might want to stick to medium. The difference between these two wont be that noticable to you, and youll have tires that last longer.

Last suggestion: Get some tire bands! They're cheap and will work wonders in properly adhering your tires to your rims. VP and Panther make some very good tire bands, which come in sets of four.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

M3 revolvers! work great and last a long time... never failed me, buggy or truggy.

Last edited by jmaxey51; 02-11-2011 at 03:32 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Read this n u wont need anymore info (i would assume lol) no disrespect to anyone about anything I say just my experience.

None of the above will be what U want, your looking for a longer lasting tire n a small pin will go fast on the track your talking about, I drive on hard packed clay that's blown off and is left dry most of the time, favorite lasting tire, hands down Losi digits, especially if the line breaks in and the dirt that's pushed out is lose it just plain works, I'm sponsored 100% by aka tho and there tire 'impact' is the tire I love when the track is perfectly blown off, it last forever and I only use super softs, however the track I drive at is a manufacturers private track and that's why I sometimes use the losi tires, there free and work good so I save what I get from aka. I only run buggy so I'm not sure if these tires r truggy tires but from alot of experience on what your talking about I think the two tires I mentioned have been the best to fit your category and what u want, my all-time favorite tire there is gridirons ss and even on the track I run they last a good 3 or 4 tanks but I don't want to be doing NASCAR tire changes all day lol I burn 3 quarts a day that I drive , the impacts have lasted with good results for 2 whole days of driving, the digits didn't even have wear after 2 days and my grid irons lost knobbies by the end of about an hour n they were spent but that's the purpose of gridirons and they are the best tire on the track hands down. Other tires, city blocks weren't right, ibeams I didn't even try but I heard would be ok there and kingpin by Losi in green lasted a while but the harder compound felt skatie at times. I do have a set of soft kingpins and I heard they r the number 1 tire at this track. Hope that helped, also if none of the tires above r made fr truck then I would say ibeams as they were the only tire I used when I drove truck, I miss the way they made my truck look, I always felt more factory with those wheels and tires over any tire I had, and they were great everywhere. I only use soft or ss because medium I would actually spin off knobbies because I would be skating everywhere n in turn I would have to drive the car in a way where I would just burn up a set fast, so m2 compound or medium stay away just get softs so u will like your car and not have to fight it, very rarely u will find a track that harder compounds work better, especially if your not very experienced u will fight it more for better control and the difference is huge to me between compounds. That's my whole dollar of tire info I could give u and I hope u would take it and use it because I spent alot of time figuring out everything the hard way, and wont steer anyone wrong, have a great day.

Edit I also have tried revolvers an they last forever in m2 but they were so so skatie I couldn't even get around consistent but I had to use them because I forgot my tire bag, probly an awsome tire in m4 compound on the track your talking about but still won't beat an impact on the track I think the patterns close together even more so then the impact n that's the traction u lose n the wear u gain.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (98%+)

Originally Posted by rfleck
Don't run truggy anymore, but absolutely loved running revolvers on indoor high bite clay. Like the other guys said, ask you local fast guys.
Revolver in M3 but the new digits from losi are awesome and last longer than anything i have seen!!! (if they come out for truggy lol)
Old 02-11-2011, 05:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

hb megabites pink
Old 02-11-2011, 06:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I see the digits are available for truggy....what wheels would these fit?
Old 02-11-2011, 07:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (98%+)

The ultra digits i have seen run on indoor hard clay at indy in Dallas (on buggy's) had 3 races weekends on them and some practice days looked only half used. They also were softs and even wear i have ever seen. Should be awesome on a truggy. not sure what wheels id just get losi's to be safe but mostly any rims fit most tire beads.