Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MBX5

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 09:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

45 weight doe soumd think but then again it is the first of summer there! How much is the Mugen oils affected by temp? In socal we may get a 30 degree change from the qualifiers to the mains. At least we dont get now, although when i was gettign ready for work the other day my temp gun said it was 6 degrees. I ride an r6 to work everyday so all need to do is break out that gear and the track seems toasty! My riding jeans are flannel lined!
Old 12-23-2006, 09:33 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

cool keyesgood, good luck. Keep us posted...
Old 12-23-2006, 05:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Well i got to run a couple of tanks through. I seem to be lacking rear bite. I think the only thing really different from the setup Ryan posted was no spacers under the front upper arm mount, 5k in the front and 25 weight in the rear. Part of the problem was my brakes were engaging when i let off. Also does anybody know what coumpound the tires that come with the kit are? What tires is everybody running on fairly hardpack.
Old 12-24-2006, 01:32 AM
Tech Regular

merf- The Mugen kits come with M2 Crimes, but on hard packed tracks you want to go with a smaller pin. Try the Panther Switch 2.0 in Clay or Medium compound.
Old 12-24-2006, 06:40 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Ryan - thanks for the advise to my question regarding Jammin vs MBX5R. I have ordered a MBX5R and a MBX5T Prospec. Merry Christmas to me !!!! I'm sure I'll have questions through the build but this seems like a good place to turn. Could you please give engine recommendations for both the buggy and truggy (just not V-Spec). I have a new JP Racing B5N that I was thinking abot for the buggy, but 'm not totally set on that.
Old 12-24-2006, 09:33 AM
Tech Regular

Barnes is busy looking up the answer in his cheat sheet book.

The engine to go with is based on how much you want to spend. If you want a good all around engine that is less then $200 go with the Top Bf21.
The Nova P5,P5x are great engines that hold there tune very good.
If you want some bad ass HP I would look into the RB, Ninji, or the "New" Vspec with upgraded bearings. Keep in mind the more gut wrenching HP you get the shorter life span you will get.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:30 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by kyracer
Barnes is busy looking up the answer in his cheat sheet book.
Let's see, you don't race, you have a Mugen avatar and are trying to buy a 8ight and they quit making the BF.21 Top over 8 months ago , I think your confused and in the wrong thread!!
Old 12-24-2006, 10:31 AM
Tech Regular

Scott- I agree I'm not a big fan of the V-spec either, strong engines but I haven't seen alot of dependability. Your gonna need more power in the MBX5T truggy due to weight and tires. I'm not sure what price range your looking for so I will list good engines and pipes, and "good for the money" engines and pipes. Some of your better choices I would have to go with the Mugen Ninja with Ninja pipe, Nova P5X with Mugen 1005 pipe, or Nova 21plus5 with 1005 pipe. I honestly believe you can run that Mugen 1005 pipe with ANY engine and get more Horsepower! So if you were to go with one of the bargain motors I list below, you may want to try that pipe. For a good deal on a engine I suggest the OS VG or the Sportwerks .21 V2 either engine works with the JP-3. The VG will run you in the $150 range and SW V2 goes for about $165. The VG I have but haven't ran yet, but it's a very nice looking engine, and I really like it's low profile for the buggy. And that SW .21 V2 I think is one of the best kept secrets out there, I just sold one that I had about 5 gallons on, their a 7 port engine and just rip with power!!! Mine was still running flawless but I had a buddy that needed a engine so I cut him a deal. If you end up in the market for a Ninja, PM me because I have 2 right now and would be willing to let my New one go at a real steal, since I'm not running alot of indoor this winter.
Old 12-24-2006, 12:01 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

To add to Ryan's engine suggestion, the sportworks .21 is an SH made engine. These have proven to be of great quality for the money and the .21 DOES rip. The engine also comes in a .26 and .28 labeled by both Sportworks (.26) and SH (.28). These won't have quite the screaming top end that the .21 is known for but they will have more torque to get that truggy off the turns. They can both be found for $150-$169.
Old 12-24-2006, 12:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I just found a prospec in my basement. Forgot I had one!! Gonna have to go check out Chad's track now.
Old 12-24-2006, 04:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I just got a VG...I have 3/4 of a gallon through it and it rips pretty good, starts and idles great and runs upside down forever (big deal for me...LOL). I wasn't getting pulled anywhere by anyone last night and I had it VERY rich.
Old 12-24-2006, 06:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

We're loving the P5s up here in the summer. Perfect all around motor and truly as said above hold their tune really well. I like to have a few pipes on hand but the Jammin JP2 is probably best for my liking. I don't like all that rippin power on the bottom outside but indoors or on a track with lots of jumps out of corners I like a JP1. But I just got a brand new JP3 I haven't tried out yet and they are supposed to be more all around. I like the Jammins because of the strong stinger support. Takes a real good hit in the driver side door and don't kink over like some nice pipes would. I've got a JP2 that looks like a golf ball and still functions like new. I do recommend the hardcoating if you go that route because the look of the polish goes away like Barnes and others have said before.

I've got a RB S7 worlds that still yodles and a 421b that has just been broken in I can't wait to get on a long track. Lots of guys here are going to the Vspecs but the bearing things I have heard of hold me back from buying one. But they sound so sweet and ballzee...

Good luck on the motor purchase, they're all decent it's just preference and how well you take care of them... Just my .02..

Merry Christmas to all the Mugen boys, hope Santa sets some Prospecs under some of your trees...
Old 12-24-2006, 07:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RYAN BARNES
l. If you end up in the market for a Ninja, PM me because I have 2 right now and would be willing to let my New one go at a real steal, since I'm not running alot of indoor this winter.
Hi, Ryan-if you dont mind place me second on the list for the Ninja maybe.Only thing im not sure of is you gotta run ninja plugs only correct? Thanks, Michael
Old 12-24-2006, 08:06 PM
Tech Regular

There are other turbo plugs that you can run, it's just "HIGHLY" suggested by Mugen that you run their plugs, so much as to the point that it voids any warranty if your not running their plug and you have motor failure.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Turbo Joe
I just got a VG...I have 3/4 of a gallon through it and it rips pretty good, starts and idles great and runs upside down forever (big deal for me...LOL). I wasn't getting pulled anywhere by anyone last night and I had it VERY rich.
Where do you race Joe? I like Rev on Sat nights but havent been down in awhile.

Mugen Xmas everyone!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.