Search
Like Tree61Likes

HPI RS4 Sport 3

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 04:32 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mr P!nk
My sport 3 came with two O-rings on both sides of the diff, I haven't had any issues with my dog bones yet, fingers crossed.

But on that note, I was checking out HPI's website and they finally have a few of the option parts listed with part numbers. A quick search in google and I found some UK online shops already have the option parts in stock and are selling them (including the CVD's). If I remember correctly when I was searching to see if the car itself was in stock anywhere, the UK shops had them about a week before the U.S.

So if I had to guess I'd say another week or two and we should have access to some option parts. The CVD's are definitely on my list as well.

They also list that "high speed gear set" on their site and give an explanation. It is in fact a spur/pinnion that is used on the Flux for running a 3S battery. So nothing really that special, just something for speed runs.
Having gone through Hpi parts release problem twice before, until I see the upgrades listed on Amain, Tower, or my hobby store can order them. Not going to expect them soon.
I hope I'm wrong. And all the upgrades are released quickly. Not like the almost year wait I went through with the Savage XS and WR8 Flux when they were first released.
I'm still waiting for the Subaru body for the WR8 to become available in the states. Theat was announced last year.
Old 07-10-2015, 05:20 AM
Tech Prophet

Update. Dog bone axle popped out again. And it can't be found, searched lot 3 times. It's going on shelf till Hpi releases the axle upgrades. So the wait begins again.
Old 07-10-2015, 07:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
Update. Dog bone axle popped out again. And it can't be found, searched lot 3 times. It's going on shelf till Hpi releases the axle upgrades. So the wait begins again.
Try looking into this Mr. Billy

http://www.spec-r.com/default/index....roducts_id=357
Old 07-10-2015, 10:10 AM
Tech Prophet

Thanks. Had seen them suggested here. Just ordered a set. See what happens.
My problem is that Hpi should have know better by now that the dog bones were going to be a problem. And for those of us that have been in hobby for few years it's not a big deal to use another companies parts. Hell,I've got 9 other 1/10 Touring cars to drive. But for the new person,or kid that saved up to buy the RS4 Flux its a problem. Based on past experience,there a good chance there will be snow on ground by time Hpi releases them.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:24 PM
Tech Initiate

Questions?? Drift only?

I just ordered the Porsche brushless. I have several other on-road cars but was curious about if the rs4 sport3 is set up from HPI as drift right out of the box. I tried the slicks from this kit on other cars and they were terrible for on road asphalt racing. I do not drift but really like the shaft drive and the chassis set up.I did order the above mentioned CV's so I could eliminate problems at the start. Any help would be appreciated to set this up for on-road racing in the USGT format.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:38 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by blitteer
I just ordered the Porsche brushless. I have several other on-road cars but was curious about if the rs4 sport3 is set up from HPI as drift right out of the box. I tried the slicks from this kit on other cars and they were terrible for on road asphalt racing. I do not drift but really like the shaft drive and the chassis set up.I did order the above mentioned CV's so I could eliminate problems at the start. Any help would be appreciated to set this up for on-road racing in the USGT format.
Not really. With the stock,oversized soft slick tires it powerslides pretty good. I'm sure it could drift as well as any touring car can with and set of drift tires and a body change. The Porsche body would look even bigger with drift tires. Plus it's a heavy, tail heavy body.
I'll leave the racing part of question to those that race.
Old 07-13-2015, 04:43 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Where did you order from if you don't mind me asking looking to pick one up as well and can't find any in stock until early September. HPI might have the dog-bone issues resolved by then but I'm not holding my breath and would also order the CV's upfront.
Old 07-13-2015, 04:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
Thanks. Had seen them suggested here. Just ordered a set. See what happens.
My problem is that Hpi should have know better by now that the dog bones were going to be a problem. And for those of us that have been in hobby for few years it's not a big deal to use another companies parts. Hell,I've got 9 other 1/10 Touring cars to drive. But for the new person,or kid that saved up to buy the RS4 Flux its a problem. Based on past experience,there a good chance there will be snow on ground by time Hpi releases them.
I understand. Good thing that Mr. Pink did some research to verify that this part fits. At least for the time being, we have an affordable solution!
Old 07-13-2015, 08:48 PM
Tech Initiate

I lucked out on e-bay from Pacific Coast Hobbies. They said they only got one in and no idea when more will come in. Also I am NOT interested in drifting. I was hoping for once an RTR WASN'T set up for drifting!
Old 07-14-2015, 02:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

I'm still having axle issues as well, with extra o-rings and stock 45mm axles they continue to come out.

After trying the extra o-rings on each side, I installed the 47mm dogbones I found on ebay in addition to the added o-rings. They seem to be staying put.

I also ordered the tamiya universals. I'll update after I get those installed or if they even work.

Does anyone have any issues with reverse working?

Old 07-14-2015, 03:34 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Two O-rings on each side of the diff have served me fine so far, although I'm not running the amount of power as the Flux system so maybe that's why I haven't had any issues with dog bones falling out.

I have also switched to adjustable tie rods, so I suppose that could also be working in my favor, I might have added more camber to the front over stock.

I also ordered up a set of these:
http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ....asp?p_id=4300

The price is fairly cheap as well, and they should work fine, but I'll let everyone know for sure if they work or not when they show up.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:52 PM
Tech Initiate

racinmason, please let us know about the dog bones. I got my Porsche today and haven't had a problem yet but not powering when turning either. It came with only one o-ring per dog bone. I haven't had an issue with reverse as of yet. I have ordered the spec-r ones also but won't get them till next week.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

racinmason, please let us know about the dog bones. I got my Porsche today and haven't had a problem yet but not powering when turning either. It came with only one o-ring per dog bone. I haven't had an issue with reverse as of yet. I have ordered the spec-r ones also but won't get them till next week.
So far, I'm having good luck with the longer dog bones. I haven't had a lot of run time with them but no issues as of yet. Two o-rings per side and 47mm dog bones seems to do the trick for me.
I also ordered the spec r universals but like you, I won't have them until next week most likely. Even then I won't know if they'll work until I have them.
I reprogrammed my esc and I think I got the reverse issue worked out.

I'll post my experience with the spec r universals when I get them.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:58 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Please keep all the updates coming for those of us that are having to wait till Sept. for the second shipment to get our RS4's. Good thread.
Old 07-15-2015, 07:56 PM
Tech Initiate

Default O-rings

Not wanting to wait a week for CVD's or dog bones, I went to the local car parts and got their smallest O-rings. They are about a 64th thicker than the stock ones. I put one in each side with the stock orange one. It worked PERFECT even under full power while turning!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.