Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Reflex Suspension Dynamics (RSD) TC6 Upgrades (vertical ball studs, pistons,etc) >

Reflex Suspension Dynamics (RSD) TC6 Upgrades (vertical ball studs, pistons,etc)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree4Likes

Reflex Suspension Dynamics (RSD) TC6 Upgrades (vertical ball studs, pistons,etc)

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 10:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CristianTabush
Vern, what do you mean by C/L? Not following the acronym, sorry.

These are tentative prices, but definitely attainable as I have received the quote from the factory already. I am just awaiting on some confirmation on some prototyping issues.

I have requested the highest quality and strength material for the drive pins, but do you have any suggestions? I know the key is in these. Them having to be so small in diameter, it really affects their strength.

The DCJ will be rebuildable for sure. The key again here, and my concern is the durabilty. If we can make them at least as good as the Hot Bodies ones, we will be more than happy, especially since we will release replacement parts for them.
C/L is blueprint term for centerline of diameter. You can hold a close hole to pin size ONLY when the hole is held in close tolerance to the centerline of the diameter it is being drilled thru. China's way of making cheap is to open the hole size so they can let the position wander some and still be able to assemble. This makes for pin slop, that leads to movement and peening the the pin to hole (hammering effect) under acceleration and braking that makes it come apart much sooner then it should.

This is why the Hot Bodies DCJ's last quite well, as they press fit thru the inner barrel and slip fit thru the bone (still more slop there then necessary)...downside is not really rebuildable.

I have a few ideas on how to make them both rebuildable and avoid pin distortion / stress if you are interested. PM me your email address and I'll share some ideas if you want.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I had a chance to calculate the price points for the Universals and the Spool. Tell me what you think of the prices and if you think they are worth your money. Are they a fair price? Would you buy them?

The Spool has removable/replaceable 7075 hardened aluminum spool cups. They are for use with blades and are bolted on from the sides. This spool can also be made to be used on the Yokomo BD5 and the Top Photon, if we just change the spool cups, so that can be an added value for it. Or the Photon guys can make the conversion and run our DCJ's in their cars with this spool.

$25.99 Retail

The Universals are Double Cardan Units, nothing special, just a solid, good double cardan joints to use. Made out of hardened steel like the standard AE Units,

$31.99/pr Retail
The price for the DCJ's is very attractive! I am with Kevin: Please use high quality materials. The price is still attractive if you add some more dollars. I am in for 2 pairs, too!

What maybe can be a problem in my eyes is that you have to use the blades with the spool. My experience with the TC5 is, that the blades will break easily. Therefore I changed to the TitaniumRacing Spool. It needed no blades. Unfortunately the plastic cups broke, too, but after harder hits. Maybe someone else can post his experiences here.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:06 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wtcc
The price for the DCJ's is very attractive! I am with Kevin: Please use high quality materials. The price is still attractive if you add some more dollars. I am in for 2 pairs, too!

What maybe can be a problem in my eyes is that you have to use the blades with the spool. My experience with the TC5 is, that the blades will break easily. Therefore I changed to the TitaniumRacing Spool. It needed no blades. Unfortunately the plastic cups broke, too, but after harder hits. Maybe someone else can post his experiences here.
On a spool with Delrin outdrives, you need to replace the ourdrives periodically as the dogbone pin wears a notch in the delrin, and this causes the suspension to bind. The faster class you race, the more frequently you have to replace them, or worse like you said, they can break. In my experience running mod w/ a 416 (delrin outdrive spool), you needed to change them every 2 weeks (about 15 runs) minimum. If you just break a blade, you can finish the run with minimal damage to the outdrive, and the blade is cheaper than the delrin outdrive to replace.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Suspension Block Locks Now Shipping!!!

You read it, the block locks are in stock and shipping. All pre-orders will be out by tomorrow evening.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

You read it, the block locks are in stock and shipping. All pre-orders will be out by tomorrow evening.
Cool, needing these! Also, with the price point indicated for the universals, +/-, I'm certainly in for some, no doubt!
Old 07-22-2011, 10:40 AM
Tech Regular

i don't have a tc6 but i bought the spring set for my onroad and they fit perfect.So much nicer then my stock springs they don't float and ilike how they snap in the bottom spring holder. keep up the good work guys at reflex racing .........great springs
Old 07-24-2011, 02:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

I have some team magic (I think) springs on a set of Tamiya shocks that fits on TC6 shocks also, I guess some Tamiya springs must fit.

I feel that it is important to do the little hole on top of shock when running on tarmac too
Old 07-25-2011, 07:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Christian received the package today. Cant wait to try the roll center locks this weekend at the nationals.Top notch product as always and plus 1 for double joint cvds. They def will sell at that price.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Just got my springs, block locks, and diff for the TC6 Can't wait to run this weekend!
Old 07-26-2011, 06:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I had a chance to calculate the price points for the Universals and the Spool. Tell me what you think of the prices and if you think they are worth your money. Are they a fair price? Would you buy them?

The Spool has removable/replaceable 7075 hardened aluminum spool cups. They are for use with blades and are bolted on from the sides. This spool can also be made to be used on the Yokomo BD5 and the Top Photon, if we just change the spool cups, so that can be an added value for it. Or the Photon guys can make the conversion and run our DCJ's in their cars with this spool.

$25.99 Retail

The Universals are Double Cardan Units, nothing special, just a solid, good double cardan joints to use. Made out of hardened steel like the standard AE Units,

$31.99/pr Retail

I have bought all your products so far and they are very good..I would most def buy the universals and the spool
Old 07-26-2011, 06:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bobert Ross
I have bought all your products so far and they are very good..I would most def buy the universals and the spool
+1
Old 07-26-2011, 07:18 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

$25.99 Retail

$31.99/pr Retail
CT - if you make your Double Cardan Units so they fit an XRay you'll probably sell more. just a thought
Old 07-26-2011, 07:29 PM
Tech Elite

Well, we'll make TC6 specific ones first. If they are successful, we have plans on making them for other cars as well. Second on our list would probably be the Photon. I can't see how making them for the XRAY would take precedent over the TC6. There are already 3 brands of CVS for the XRAY cars and only 1 for the TC6 (and really tough to actually acquire). Our goal is to make parts fit the cars with the minimum amount of work possible.

Our whole reasoning behind this is that no 1 company makes them for these specific cars, which aside from the XRAY are probably the 2 most popular cars in the USA. We'll look at making them for the XRAY down the road as well as other chassis. Given that the design holds up well.

I am pretty sure that in 17.5 and 13.5 they will be more than fine. Our concern is making them durable enough for the Modified classes too!
Old 07-26-2011, 08:48 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

CT - i have to disagree with you a bit. today there are only two ECS/LCD options worth their steel -- no mater what chassis you run.
1- xray ecs
2- hot bodies dcj

both of them have their issues (mostly cost and inavailability)-- but all in all they are not junk and won't just randomly fail during a race weekend.

if you compare the two manufacture's total packages - drive shafts + spool cups - the xray is far superior due to is use of blades instead of replacing outdrives constantly (heck, this is a problem with the xray outdrives too, but there are options out there more durable so they don't just bend/self destruct). i'd highly recommend trying to copy that approach for the TC6 platform.

im seriously interested in the part you are looking to create --- especially if it is better than the ecs of dcj.

Last edited by hanulec; 07-26-2011 at 08:50 PM. Reason: not all outdrives are created equal
Old 07-26-2011, 11:07 PM
Tech Elite

I'd include the Litemodz in there. If there was not such a problem with the distribution of them, they'd be king. They last way longer and pretty much never fail if assembled correctly. I have tried the XRAYS and I experienced a lot of problems with them, so much that I actually went back to standard type unis when running my XRAY.

The lack of availability is the issue why we want to supply them. Our Goal however is to first serve the TC6 community, and then subsequent chassis. We would rather make specific ECS's for the TC6, the Photon, the T3, 417, etc, than to make just 1 type that has to be adapted to use on any car.

With that, we should have our first samples in like 4-5 weeks. We will certainly put them through the test, and if in the end, we can deliver a drive shaft that will at least hold up for the stock and super stock classes, we will release them to the public.

We are not re-inventing the wheel either. Our joint design looks a lot like Hot Bodies DCJ's.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.