Search
Like Tree3Likes

BMI Racing "Copperhead 12" discussion and support

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 04:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
Straight line speed doesn't count for much in club racing, I gear for rip, top speed don't matter.

If they are changing tires every run, so should you.
Bring 3 sets, one for each heat, and one for the main.
Rotate those out, and use em next week.

At the big races when the grip is insane, that's the go.
The tires get too sticky, and it takes time for them to dry out.
Foam tires are sponge like

90% of the setup is tire choice & prep.
With the lighter link cars does when the grip goes up do they traction roll or wheel lift? Or do they get slidy?

Originally Posted by LonnyJ1950
I remember racing places where you had to have a set of tires for every run, because after 1 run they were totally gone, worn out.
At briggs cuningham in costa mesa we would grind a set each heat and also at Cambell we would use one set per heat for perfect car every round

Kevin Jelich, Steve Blair and myself
Old 01-03-2012, 04:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Infinite thanks for posting that because I have been meaning to ask this question for some time but keep forgetting.

What does it mean when the inside rear tire lifts or it sounds like the car diffs out (maybe/probably at the same time)? I am running 2 lube on BMI front end and 4 in the rear tubes. If I recall correctly I have tried to go up and down one time on the lube but did not make a difference if I recall correctly.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:33 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Infinite 12th
With the lighter link cars does when the grip goes up do they traction roll or wheel lift? Or do they get slidy?

At briggs cuningham in costa mesa we would grind a set each heat and also at Cambell we would use one set per heat for perfect car every round

Kevin Jelich, Steve Blair and myself
I raced at Briggs with Tim Neja a couple times many years ago. Good fun.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:46 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MCSEDanny
Infinite thanks for posting that because I have been meaning to ask this question for some time but keep forgetting.

What does it mean when the inside rear tire lifts or it sounds like the car diffs out (maybe/probably at the same time)? I am running 2 lube on BMI front end and 4 in the rear tubes. If I recall correctly I have tried to go up and down one time on the lube but did not make a difference if I recall correctly.
Try going up on your side link stiffness. Use the short holes and bump the damper stiffness 1. You may also need to bump up one on your front springs. Another approach might be to go up on tire firmness.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:48 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by MCSEDanny

This is caused by a couple of issues. For me when the car diffs-out it is usually because tire size is too big. I am assuming you are running the correct tires. I run 1/12 mod and run my tires at 1.55 front and 1.65 rear. 18 front springs with lube and associated black side springs. Don't be afraid to make the car softer.

steve Dunn
Indianapolis
Old 01-04-2012, 03:55 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I would increase the front dampening to #6 and decrease the rear to #3. Usually when the car is diffing out, It is because the rear damping is too heavy and making the inside tire lift because the front is digging too hard. Going lighter on the tube lube will reduce the amount of force applied to the front tires in a corner. Hope this helps.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

OK Sunday is coming around I fliped my wheel nuts and got my car to 167.9 front width and 172 rear width. So I'm going run that then try

Orange rears
Gold center spring (currently have blue with 40wt oil)
Possibly going up to maybe 50k tube lube if I can find some(has shur lube 4 now)
Stiffen up side plates maybe run fiberglass or use the short holes in the thin carbon plates
6 deg caster

Does anyone have another tips to try also can anyone explain which way the flex plates go from softest to stiffest?
Old 01-04-2012, 08:59 PM
Tech Master

To set the flex plates to the stiffer setting you need to move the stand offs to the second hole (closer to the rear of the car).

Just re-read yor post, I gave the wrong answer.

1.2 cf
Fiberglass (stock)
1.5 cf

E
Old 01-04-2012, 08:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

Originally Posted by markiemark
OK Sunday is coming around I fliped my wheel nuts and got my car to 167.9 front width and 172 rear width. So I'm going run that then try

Orange rears
Possibly going up to maybe 50k tube lube if I can find some(has shur lube 4 now)
Stiffen up side plates maybe run fiberglass or use the short holes in the thin carbon plates
6 deg caster

Does anyone have another tips to try also can anyone explain which way the flex plates go from softest to stiffest?
Softest would be 1.2 plate in the long position, then 1.2 in the short postion, then 1.5 in the long postion, stiffest would be 1.5 plate in the short postion. I could be wrong but I dont think Jason makes any fiberglass plates for the CH, those went away when he went to CF plates. I would not recomend any more changes untill you see how these affect the car.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:26 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks so much hopefully I can finally get it dialed in and be on pace with the rest. Also is the oder I got them listed the best way to work them or should I maybe try 6deg caster after the tire and spring change?
Old 01-04-2012, 09:48 PM
Tech Master

Doesn't matter. Try a change, if you like it move on to the next, if not put it back and try a different one. Car tuning is a changing art. I've been doing it for 30 years and I still learn new stuff and new approaches all the time. It's about finding a combination that works for you.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:28 AM
Tech Regular

Orange rears
6 deg caster

Don't measure by the wheel nuts. Just measure to the outside of the front wheel at the axle hight with no TOE. You will want to be arount 166-167. Any wider and the body become a issue.

Steve Dunn
Indianapolis, IN
Old 01-05-2012, 07:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Orange rears
6 deg caster

im going to be honest... your probably not going to like that thick of tube lube in the rear i have tried going thicker like that and always find myself going back to thinner lube. right now my favorite is shurlube #3 . dont be afraid to soften up the car and run a little more pod droop. even in really high traction people are still running soft set-ups.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:40 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chris moore
Softest would be 1.2 plate in the long position, then 1.2 in the short postion, then 1.5 in the long postion, stiffest would be 1.5 plate in the short postion. I could be wrong but I dont think Jason makes any fiberglass plates for the CH, those went away when he went to CF plates. I would not recomend any more changes untill you see how these affect the car.
if i remember its 1.2 carbon,1.5 fiber,1.5 carbon from soft to stiff,as for short or long for stiffness that is a test that some would have to do,last time i was at the shop he has a ton of 1.5 fiber
Old 01-05-2012, 04:28 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks jeff im hoping getting the width of the car right will help it rotate and then maybe i can just mess with castor and keep the rear soft like it is.

This is my 4th week and just trying get closer to the pace of everyone else im at 44 laps there at 48 so if i could least get 46 this weekend id be happy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.