Wiki Posts
Search

Nitro Challenge 2011

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 07:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kolunatic
its acheaper hobby than big block chevy's and burning up a grand for a set of tires! a set of buggy tires is nothing.

thanks, i may check it out tomorrow
True dat!
Old 02-26-2011, 07:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Electric Dave
So watching the Truggy A main, was that pass by Tebo at the end there legit? I couldn't see the crash so well, was it just racing or was it something else?
Yes, even Maifield said it was totally fine and just a racing deal. They were both congradulating each other on a great race with big smiles on their face. We will post the interviews on YouTube shortly.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:08 PM
Tech Elite

its acheaper hobby than big block chevy's and burning up a grand for a set of tires! a set of buggy tires is nothing.

thanks, i may check it out tomorrow
Bottom line is, LiveRC is all we've got. If Brandon and crew went home and stopped doing what they're doing, it would be a set back for the sport. They did provide excellent coverage of the A Mains today. They followed the action well, and the camera takes were relevant to what was going on during the race. I especially liked the takes showing the pit area when it was detrimental to the outcome of the race, and the camera followed what the race director was announcing as the race progressed. Overall a very good job.

On the other hand, everyone gets mad at the dude who rains on their parade, but if we don't voice our opinions when things aren't right, nothing will change.

- Update - Issue resolved, thanks Brandon.

Last edited by MadHacker; 02-27-2011 at 02:06 PM.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:11 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Brandon Rohde
Yes, even Maifield said it was totally fine and just a racing deal. They were both congradulating each other on a great race with big smiles on their face. We will post the interviews on YouTube shortly.

Good to know, thanks for the tidbit. I was also wondering what the mood between the two was like after the race as well. Did anyone get a chance to talk to Ty and see what he had to say about his flame out?
Old 02-26-2011, 07:18 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Brandon Rohde
cool,thanks!
Old 02-26-2011, 07:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Here are a few un edited photos I have to share from Nitro Challenge this weekend. More to come soon...

Please note....ALL of my photos are COPYRIGHT and can only be used by permission. Thank you.

Last edited by fourseventeen; 02-26-2011 at 07:47 PM.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:30 PM
Tech Elite

Elite, what kind of photo gear are you running? When I'm shooting stills at a race I shoot with a Nikon D300 and I try to stick with my 2.8 glass so I can use a low ISO and still get fairly high shutter speeds. I find the D300 great for action shots as I can rattle off 8 fps with the battery/grip option on it. Makes it much easier to get shots at just the right moment when you can start the shutter releases just before you need them and the camera is fast enough to catch that magic moment. I'm not good enough to be able to catch an R/C at just the right moment with a single shutter release! LOL!
Old 02-26-2011, 07:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

the track is cool.i thought i'd check it out tomorrow but didnt know about it,i'll check the site again on what i get. what time does tomorrow racing begin?
9am
Old 02-26-2011, 07:42 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Slimsh8t
9am
thanks man.

if i was in rc back when i lived in phoenix '89,i would've stayed.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

And a few more...

Please note....ALL of my photos are COPYRIGHT and can only be used by permission. Thank you.

Last edited by fourseventeen; 02-26-2011 at 08:05 PM.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Madhacker... todays photos were shot with a Canon 5D mark II and Canon 70-200mm 2.8L IS II lens. Battery grip. Single frame shots. Photos from Wends and some of Thurs were shot with the same set up but I also was using a Canon 24-70mm 2.8L for about half of the shots.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:55 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MadHacker
Good to know, thanks for the tidbit. I was also wondering what the mood between the two was like after the race as well. Did anyone get a chance to talk to Ty and see what he had to say about his flame out?
ty was definitely bummed, he came down hard on the pipe and it caught the flywheel, nothing he could do about it, Great race between tebo and maifield, awesome to watch trackside.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:58 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by fourseventeen
Madhacker... todays photos were shot with a Canon 5D mark II and Canon 70-200mm 2.8L IS II lens. Battery grip. Single frame shots. Photos from Wends and some of Thurs were shot with the same set up but I also was using a Canon 24-70mm 2.8L for about half of the shots.
Do you shoot professionally elsewhere? (do you shoot just R/C or do you have other gigs too?)
Old 02-26-2011, 08:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Mad...
Yes I shoot photo and video for a living. I dont typically shoot RC and this was actually my first real RC event I have shot. I have shot two practice races prior to shooting Nitro Challenge...so before NC I have only spent about 2 hours at most shooting RC cars. It was definately a diffilcult task to get focused on all these little bullets and to get the shots I wanted.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:10 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by fourseventeen
Mad...
Yes I shoot photo and video for a living. I dont typically shoot RC and this was actually my first real RC event I have shot. I have shot two practice races prior to shooting Nitro Challenge...so before NC I have only spent about 2 hours at most shooting RC cars. It was definately a diffilcult task to get focused on all these little bullets and to get the shots I wanted.
Yes, I had the same problem when I first started trying to get stills of R/C's. From the camera's point of view, they're very small, and very fast! LOL.

Well, your camera experience shows, the shots are well composed, well exposed, and just excellent all around.

My only complaint with the Nikon, is the photos don't come out of the camera with enough saturation for R/C. Even after making some adjustments to the in camera processing (applying to JPG's, RAW photos come out flat because they're unprocessed) I don't get the saturation that typically comes out of a Canon. I think Nikon's are just this way, probably because the people who design them are more "purist" or something along those lines.

Even if I get good shots out of the camera that don't need to be cropped or have any other adjustments made to them, I still always take the photos into Lightroom and bump the saturation for R/C photos.

My wife and I shoot together, actually, when we're not working at our main jobs or R/C'ing. We shoot mainly family and children, both on location and in our little studio. There's not really enough work up here for it to be full time, so...

Do you have a web site so we can view your other work? Ours is www.messengerphotography.ca It's a very basic web site, but it shows the style of our work :-)

Cheers!

Last edited by MadHacker; 02-26-2011 at 08:22 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.