Team CRC Xti 1/12th Scale!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree221Likes

Team CRC Xti 1/12th Scale!!

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-02-2021, 05:42 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team CRC Xti 1/12th Scale!!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: tobamiester

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 02:30 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ran my xti today with inline configuration as I've always run it with the pack across and it went really well. I have tried it before and didn't stick with it as it seemed to want to oversteer randomly. So ran it today and it went well. The only area of the track that was a problem was a fast straight into a hairpin. I just couldn't get it to turn in it just wanted to under steer but with a bit of work I think it will be as fast as my transverse setup
Old 06-10-2014, 10:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Can someone tell me what differences I'd see if I changed my xti over to longer, parallel rear links, compared to the shorter, angled rear links?
Old 06-16-2014, 04:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

i noticed that other day that my side links seemed tight when connected thought it may have been dirty, but if i pop either side off its nice and free on the ball? do i need new links or is something else need checking.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by I)arkness
i noticed that other day that my side links seemed tight when connected thought it may have been dirty, but if i pop either side off its nice and free on the ball? do i need new links or is something else need checking.
what you describe indicates that your center pivot ball is out of adjustment. If the center pivot ball is not in exactly the right spot, that will make one side link act as if it's too long and the other one will seem too short.........making both side links feel tight on their pivot balls. Thankfully, your issue is easy enough to fix. With all of the wheels removed and with the main chassis and the pod both resting on a good flat surface, just loosen the two nuts that retain the center pivot's "football". Shake the pod around so that the "football" and the center pivot ball finds their own naturally centered location. Then gently tighten one of the football nuts and then the other one. Both side links should then feel free on their respective pivot balls. If so, then fully tighten the two football nuts and you're done. If not, then loosen them both and repeat the process until you do get the football in a position that allows both side links to feel nice and free. This is a critical adjustment because the car will drive erratically if there is any binding in the action of the rear pod. It is a good habit to check your side links frequently to make sure that they still feel nice and free.......especially if the car takes any sort of hard impact or tumble.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:13 PM
Tech Master

excellent thanks vafactor will do that.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:51 AM
Tech Master

thanks vfactor, I pulled my car apart as was swapping to altered ego chassis, i had a bent screw on centre pivot so that fixed the link issue.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:36 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by I)arkness
thanks vfactor, I pulled my car apart as was swapping to altered ego chassis, i had a bent screw on centre pivot so that fixed the link issue.
when you put your car back together, be sure to use a steel screw (and not an aluminum one) for the center pivot ball. the center pivot gets subjected to a lot of force during an impact.......so using a steel screw in that critical location helps greatly to maintain the alignment of the rear pod. On my cars, I've had good success always using steel screws to fasten all of the pivot balls.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (98%+)

Originally Posted by BadSign
Can someone tell me what differences I'd see if I changed my xti over to longer, parallel rear links, compared to the shorter, angled rear links?

I did this and found the rear pod would rotate more freely than with the shorter, angled links. The feel of my car then was very much like the car when running the batteries in transverse position. I have retained this in my setup and am handling 180 corners better than before.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:35 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by davidl
I did this and found the rear pod would rotate more freely than with the shorter, angled links. The feel of my car then was very much like the car when running the batteries in transverse position. I have retained this in my setup and am handling 180 corners better than before.
I assume from this you are using the wings or the chassis with the wings built in?
Old 07-04-2014, 01:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (98%+)

Originally Posted by tim fry
I assume from this you are using the wings or the chassis with the wings built in?
I used the chassis plate with the wide link mounts. It can be used either battery inline or battery transverse. I assume those mounting positions are as you call "wings". I also had to relocate the side springs. I choose the position next to the link mount which is the same as when mounting the battery transverse. I had to drill a hole in the cross brace for the spring screw.
Old 07-04-2014, 02:05 PM
Tech Master

I used the chassis plate with the wide link mounts. It can be used either battery inline or battery transverse. I assume those mounting positions are as you call "wings". I also had to relocate the side springs. I choose the position next to the link mount which is the same as when mounting the battery transverse. I had to drill a hole in the cross brace for the spring screw.
the altered ego chassis plate is the one with the integrated wide link mounts. Interestingly, the altered ego chassi plate is about 1/4" shorter than the standard super skinny XTI chassis plate. So, if one uses the altered ego chassis plate in combo with a standard XTI rear pod, the overall wheelbase will be about 1/4" shorter than a standard narrow XTI car. Taking 1/4" out of the car's wheelbase could explain why the car would be better in 180's, perhaps moreso than just taking the angle out of the side links. If you want to maintain the XTI's long wheelbase but use the integrated wings chassis, then there are different graphite pod plates for the altered ego that add back the 1/4".....but add what was lost from the main chassis plate by putting that much extra length into the pod. Personally, I like the car best with the altered ego's short main chassis in combo with the XTI's short pod. That combo yields a wheelbase about the same as some of the older CRC cars that were produced before it became the fashion to extend the wheelbase of 1/12th scale cars. Perhaps I'm old skool,........but I prefer the feel of the shorter wheelbase setup.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:11 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by vafactor
the altered ego chassis plate is the one with the integrated wide link mounts. Interestingly, the altered ego chassi plate is about 1/4" shorter than the standard super skinny XTI chassis plate. So, if one uses the altered ego chassis plate in combo with a standard XTI rear pod, the overall wheelbase will be about 1/4" shorter than a standard narrow XTI car. Taking 1/4" out of the car's wheelbase could explain why the car would be better in 180's, perhaps moreso than just taking the angle out of the side links. If you want to maintain the XTI's long wheelbase but use the integrated wings chassis, then there are different graphite pod plates for the altered ego that add back the 1/4".....but add what was lost from the main chassis plate by putting that much extra length into the pod. Personally, I like the car best with the altered ego's short main chassis in combo with the XTI's short pod. That combo yields a wheelbase about the same as some of the older CRC cars that were produced before it became the fashion to extend the wheelbase of 1/12th scale cars. Perhaps I'm old skool,........but I prefer the feel of the shorter wheelbase setup.
There are 2 Altered Ego chassis plates. The original Altered Ego conversion chassis is the same length as the Xti chassis plate. The chassis plate that comes with the Altered Ego kit is shorter.
Old 07-04-2014, 06:35 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
There are 2 Altered Ego chassis plates. The original Altered Ego conversion chassis is the same length as the Xti chassis plate. The chassis plate that comes with the Altered Ego kit is shorter.
good to know. I bought my winged chassis plate separately and back when the winged versions first became available. Mostly I was attracted to the new chassis plate because I had cracked the the front body post area on my original chassis and I noticed that the front of the optional winged chassis plates had more graphite around the front body posts to make that area much stronger. It came as a surprise that the winged chassis was so much shorter than the standard XTI narrow plate. That unexpected difference in length turned out to be a happy accident since I soon realized that I prefer the driving feel of the shorter wheelbase setup. As a sidebar, the front of the skinny chassis plates has since been revised to also have more graphite around the front body posts. Just another example of running improvements to the CRC product.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I put my new AE chassis plate and with my xti rear end together yesterday, with the long parallel links. The rear instantly felt free, and no longer had the "progressive" stiff feel the old angled links had. I'm looking forward to trying it out next Friday.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:09 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by vafactor
good to know. I bought my winged chassis plate separately and back when the winged versions first became available. Mostly I was attracted to the new chassis plate because I had cracked the the front body post area on my original chassis and I noticed that the front of the optional winged chassis plates had more graphite around the front body posts to make that area much stronger. It came as a surprise that the winged chassis was so much shorter than the standard XTI narrow plate. That unexpected difference in length turned out to be a happy accident since I soon realized that I prefer the driving feel of the shorter wheelbase setup. As a sidebar, the front of the skinny chassis plates has since been revised to also have more graphite around the front body posts. Just another example of running improvements to the CRC product.
Only problem with that though is it is very difficult to run the battery in-line with the shorter Altered ego chassis.

Here's the original winged chassis, direct bolt on. (Thought this was called Altered Ego as well...guess not): http://www.teamcrc.com/crc/modules.p...prodID=7719466

Here's the shorter altered ego chassis: http://www.teamcrc.com/crc/modules.p...prodID=7719462

We tried building my friend's Altered Ego as an in-line like my Xti...even with the pretty small Orca ESC it wouldn't fit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.