Wiki Posts
Search

??Spare Parts??

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 05:39 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default ??Spare Parts??

I was doing some inventory last night on the spare parts that I have on hand, so I could see if I needed anything to finish the season. I got to wondering how many spares you keep on hand. I think I am turning into a parts whore. I have 2 kits still sealed in package, 1 truggy &1 buggy and enough induvidual packaged parts to build 1 truggy & 1 buggy and still find myself trying to buy parts. Is there a group or rehab for this
Old 04-09-2010, 07:28 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SHANERC
I was doing some inventory last night on the spare parts that I have on hand, so I could see if I needed anything to finish the season. I got to wondering how many spares you keep on hand. I think I am turning into a parts whore. I have 2 kits still sealed in package, 1 truggy &1 buggy and enough induvidual packaged parts to build 1 truggy & 1 buggy and still find myself trying to buy parts. Is there a group or rehab for this

Shane Sorry i am in the same Boat i have TONS of parts ever one at the track comes by to get parts from me at one time i had more parts for my buggy then the Hobbie shop did .

I am thinking of Opening a Rehab for this it will only cost you 3 buggy parts each time you come to the Group meeting .

I said i would help you guys not me
Old 04-09-2010, 07:44 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I had to force my self away from the computer the other night, I was on eBay and saw nice part lot that I thought I needed. Even after I convinced my self I already had most of the parts and didn’t need it, I still wanted to bid on it. I think it just part of the addiction to R/C cars that we all have to deal with, hording extra parts.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

I'm in the same boat as you Shane. Not with sealed kits, but I bought a parts lot for my Truggy that was almost 3 complete rollers. I sold off 1, and now I have enough parts to build 2 more Truggies or so...at least. I also have enough Buggy parts to build probably 1-2 more!

I don't lug em all to the track with me though ;-)
Old 04-09-2010, 08:01 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I used to be like that. By stopping the hoarding I was able to spend more on tires, fuel, clutches and other high wear parts. My basic spares list goes something like below, and if I go through this on a weekend then I should have stayed home.

2 sets lower arms for front and rear.
1 set uppers front and rear.
1 set shocks front and rear.
2 servos.
3 RX packs
12 air filters
Screw set
1 center diff
1 front or rear diff/dry no oil
1 differential rebuild kit
4 drive axles 2 for front 2 for rear
1 each of the center drive axles
drive axle pin kits

The only time I order anything is if I used something during a race and generally all I go through are drive axle pins and front lower a arms.

By being part frugal I was able to afford a decent radio and can afford nice servos and electronics at any time. I used to have a mountain of parts and many knew it and took advantage of it at my wallets expense. That no longer happens. I have enough for me to get through the day and if I need something thats what you guys are for
Old 04-09-2010, 08:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

i have one extra set of everything. i have a big surplus of,

cvd's, bearings, clutch shoes/bells/springs/flywheels, gaskets/seals/washers/shims, shock boots, glo plugs, tires, suspension arms.

i realized that alot of the things i was buying was not necessary. I mean, who needs 4 fuel tanks?

i try to keep my motors in the best condition possible and that means changing bearings and rods every couple gallons. If your engine breaks, chances are it's going to be alot more expensive to fix vs something breaking on your car.

don't get me started on ebay. I cannot afford to buy things i do not need anymore. And instead i can get something i really need instead. Take a bone saver for example (i use a chain breaker), i don't have to keep buy drive shafts for a long time now. Or something like a flywheel puller, tire balancer, another battery pack, body, tires, or maybe some upgrade i want to try.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:56 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I pretty much have a buggy and truggy in spare nip parts as well. I even have chassis's. I Also only buy parts when I use them. They do come in handy at the track I end up being the guy that other racers come to when they need parts. But there will be that one time when I need something and I don't have it so better safe than sorry.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:22 AM
Tech Addict

Frank's right, I try to stock some spare parts but he's always the go-to guy when you need something in a pinch and you can't find it in your pit box. We're talking ALL kinds of stuff, including servos...which saved my raceday not too long ago. Big-time thanks Frank for all you do buddy!
Old 04-09-2010, 10:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

there is really no way around it. whatever you do not have, will break. thank heavens for ebay chop shops.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:32 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcgeezer
Frank's right, I try to stock some spare parts but he's always the go-to guy when you need something in a pinch and you can't find it in your pit box. We're talking ALL kinds of stuff, including servos...which saved my raceday not too long ago. Big-time thanks Frank for all you do buddy!

anytime geezer...
Old 04-09-2010, 08:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mattozx6rr
I used to be like that. By stopping the hoarding I was able to spend more on tires, fuel, clutches and other high wear parts. My basic spares list goes something like below, and if I go through this on a weekend then I should have stayed home.

2 sets lower arms for front and rear.
1 set uppers front and rear.
1 set shocks front and rear.
2 servos.
3 RX packs
12 air filters
Screw set
1 center diff
1 front or rear diff/dry no oil
1 differential rebuild kit
4 drive axles 2 for front 2 for rear
1 each of the center drive axles
drive axle pin kits

The only time I order anything is if I used something during a race and generally all I go through are drive axle pins and front lower a arms.

By being part frugal I was able to afford a decent radio and can afford nice servos and electronics at any time. I used to have a mountain of parts and many knew it and took advantage of it at my wallets expense. That no longer happens. I have enough for me to get through the day and if I need something thats what you guys are for
Yep I take along about the same spares as you, and you mentioned high wear stuff- clutch, tires etc. heck I got that to. a friend that bought 1 of scotts truggies came by to get a clutch set-up and I had like 9 clutch bells, who the hell needs 9 clutch bells for some reason there is alot of brand switching in my area and when someone that runs my brand is changing up I open my mouth to say " what are you switching to?" but instead "I will buy your spare parts" comes out! Well I guess you have to spend it on something. now that I am older I will spend it on rc parts, when I was young I spent a crowd on BEER & BOOBS
Old 04-10-2010, 05:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SHANERC
Yep I take along about the same spares as you, and you mentioned high wear stuff- clutch, tires etc. heck I got that to. a friend that bought 1 of scotts truggies came by to get a clutch set-up and I had like 9 clutch bells, who the hell needs 9 clutch bells for some reason there is alot of brand switching in my area and when someone that runs my brand is changing up I open my mouth to say " what are you switching to?" but instead "I will buy your spare parts" comes out! Well I guess you have to spend it on something. now that I am older I will spend it on rc parts, when I was young I spent a crowd on BEER & BOOBS
You know, I never did give you those silicone throttle return bands...oops. Remind me at the next race. Anyway....9 clutch bells, eh? I need a vented 13T. You got one in your stash you want to part with?

Oh, and I hear ya on the beer & boobs....they're still two of my favorite things to hold!!!