Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 747-e

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 08:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Evo 13
Okay, I'm about to place my order for the 747e. What spare parts would you recommend I get? Are the belts the same as the 747 nitro? And what gears for the 3s set up would you recommend? Sorry for all the questions, but there just isn't much info out there on this car.
To be honest the car is pretty robust but a set of lower arms (get the hard versions) as well as spare steering blocks and rear uprights. The usual really but of course depends how often you plan to crash

The rear belt is the same as the nitro version but the front belt is a lot longer so maybe worth picking up one for spare.

With gearing I haven't found I needed to change the stock spur as the motor mount allows a wide range of pinion sizes to be used. There is a great rollout and final drive calculator on the serpent site that you can download. It takes into account tyre sizes and cell count and motor kv. Id stick to 48dp gears as well as I'm not sure 64dp would handle the torque.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:52 AM
Tech Rookie

I bought a S747e some weeks ago to run it besides my nitro S747 and to run it in times our track doesn't alow to run nitro.
Why a S747e in stead of a S411? I had already the spare parts, tires, bodys,...

I run a Tekin RX8 gen 2 with a LRP 4-pole 4800kV motor and LRP 3S lipo packs.
This works very well.

Originally Posted by dan_vector
With gearing I haven't found I needed to change the stock spur as the motor mount allows a wide range of pinion sizes to be used. There is a great rollout and final drive calculator on the serpent site that you can download. It takes into account tyre sizes and cell count and motor kv. Id stick to 48dp gears as well as I'm not sure 64dp would handle the torque.
What spur/pinion combo would you suggest for a large outdoor nitro onroad track? I run the stock 72T spur and I tried pinions 20, 21 and 22T.
My motortemps are always around 75°C after a good 5 minutes of racing. I have a Castle creaction fan on the motor but I think this doesn't make a big difference. (I haven' tested without it)
Old 06-26-2014, 11:07 AM
Tech Elite

I'm running 27/72 which gives 5.33 on a fairly large outdoor nitro track. Still 2s setup Temps are quite high at around 160f but this isn't too much of an issue. I will be trying my RX8 and 4pole 540 motor on 3s in the future and will probably drop down to 25/72 or somewhere around there depending on how the temps look. I think you can add a couple teeth on the pinion quite safely or alternatively turn up the turbo and ramp settings in the rx8
Old 06-26-2014, 03:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

To be honest the car is pretty robust but a set of lower arms (get the hard versions) as well as spare steering blocks and rear uprights. The usual really but of course depends how often you plan to crash

The rear belt is the same as the nitro version but the front belt is a lot longer so maybe worth picking up one for spare.

Man, you are very helpful dude. I will check out that Serpent Calculator. I placed my order today. Quickly, What do you think about the specs on this motor? I will be running it with the Tekin rx8 and a maybe a 5000mah 65c 3s Thunder power lipo.
LRP Racing Motor Competition Vector X12 L Brushless 550 Motor 5.5 Turn
or
Castle Creations 4600KV 4 Pole Brushless Motor 1406 Series.

Please, let me know if this makes sense.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:03 AM
Tech Elite

Man, you are very helpful dude. I will check out that Serpent Calculator. I placed my order today. Quickly, What do you think about the specs on this motor? I will be running it with the Tekin rx8 and a maybe a 5000mah 65c 3s Thunder power lipo.
LRP Racing Motor Competition Vector X12 L Brushless 550 Motor 5.5 Turn
or
Castle Creations 4600KV 4 Pole Brushless Motor 1406 Series.

Please, let me know if this makes sense.
No problem. I'm not personally a fan of castle creations to be honest and haven't any experience with 550 size motors but I believe they are better at handling 3s as most 540 size motors recommend a max of 2s. Perhaps something like this would be ideal? http://www.amain.com/product_info.ph...s-Motor-4700kV
Old 06-27-2014, 04:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

No problem. I'm not personally a fan of castle creations to be honest and haven't any experience with 550 size motors but I believe they are better at handling 3s as most 540 size motors recommend a max of 2s. Perhaps something like this would be ideal? http://www.amain.com/product_info.ph...s-Motor-4700kV
Dan_Vector,

I gotta tell you man, One of the things I like most about this hobby is learning and doing the research. There nothing better then looking at your completed build, knowing all the time and energy you spent figuring out how best to develop it to your liking.

So I narrowed my motor choice down to two. The LRP x12l 4.5t, and the LRP Dynamic 10l 550 you recommended.From what I read, I like both. I'm just waiting on a call back from LRP to explain the differences and then I will decide. Thanks and I'll keep you posted.

Next, I'm trying to shave off some weight on the 3s. I'm trying to figure out how much MAH I need since in general, the higher the mah—the heavier the battery—if I understand correctly.
Old 06-27-2014, 04:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Dan_Vector,

I gotta tell you man, One of the things I like most about this hobby is learning and doing the research. There nothing better then looking at your completed build, knowing all the time and energy you spent figuring out how best to develop it to your liking.

So I narrowed my motor choice down to two. The LRP x12l 4.5t, and the LRP Dynamic 10l 550 you recommended.From what I read, I like both. I'm just waiting on a call back from LRP to explain the differences and then I will decide. Thanks and I'll keep you posted.

Next, I'm trying to shave off some weight on the 3s. I'm trying to figure out how much MAH I need since in general, the higher the mah—the heavier the battery—if I understand correctly.
Lighter battery may give you faster speed but you will sacrifice not only the length of run time( I suppose you're not going to race with this car since there's no known this scale racing) but also it affects weight balance. I wouldn't care much about how heavy the battery is but would consider weight balance more importantly first. So it will depend on your choice of electrics.
But hey, if you just want faster car however it runs, you can even get as low as 2000mAh though I doubt battery weight will make a huge noticeable speed difference anyway.
Old 06-27-2014, 04:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

I've been running my 747-e with a Reedy Mach 2 5.5t coupled to a Speed Passion Reventon Pro 1.1 160amp on 2s which was surplus stuff as I upgraded my 190mm TC to Fleta Pro and Fleta ZX motors. Granted its not as fast as my nitro car and could would go quicker with an RX8 and 4p motor on 3s but to be honest I'm really enjoying it as it is. It has enough power/torque to enjoy driving it. I have an RX8 setup in my 811be which may find its way into the 747e at some point but at the moment I'm gonna stick with the old electronics out of my 190mm TC. I haven't had much of an issue with temps either - just conservative on gearing and boost settings on the ESC, oh and a big 40mm high speed fan on the motor
Dan, how fast is your car compared with mod touring if you ever have done so. Just curious
Old 06-27-2014, 06:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by snuvet75
Lighter battery may give you faster speed but you will sacrifice not only the length of run time( I suppose you're not going to race with this car since there's no known this scale racing) but also it affects weight balance. I wouldn't care much about how heavy the battery is but would consider weight balance more importantly first. So it will depend on your choice of electrics.
But hey, if you just want faster car however it runs, you can even get as low as 2000mAh though I doubt battery weight will make a huge noticeable speed difference anyway.
No racing the car, just looking for some good top speed fun with a bit of nimble handling. You raised a very important point. I'll look into balancing the weight so it won't pull to one side or the other. Are you considering adding this car to your Serpent staple?
Old 06-28-2014, 01:13 AM
Tech Rookie

Dan_Vector,

I use the LRP Dynamic 10 550size 4800kV motor together with the Tekin RX8 gen2. The motor handles the 3S well and the car is fast.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:29 AM
Tech Elite

Dan, how fast is your car compared with mod touring if you ever have done so. Just curious
My 411 3.0 4.5t Mod TC is faster than my 747-e. But I really don't care about that. I can drive my 747-e WAY harder than the 411, its just so easy to drive quickly and handles just like my nitro 747 which I prefer over both cars
Old 06-29-2014, 03:32 AM
Tech Elite

Fair point however but its the same arguement with 190m TC and is easily overcome. My 747-e is well balanced running 2s and 540 size motor and I'm sure it'll be the same with 3s and 550 size motor. Even if its not you can easily fine tune with chassis weights if needed. A 2000Mah pack wouldnt even last 2 mins probably given the current draw on a hot motor and heavy chassis. Go for 6000+ packs.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:35 AM
Tech Elite

Dan_Vector,

Yeah, I've spent many hundred of hours researching and forum surfing! BUT the best way of learning is by actually doing. Its easy to get lost in the opinions online and ending up investing stacks in stuff you dont really need. For me the 747-e is a toy (a totally awesome toy ) and I just reused electronics I already have. Granted its not the quickest setup but it does me fine right now!! Love my 747-e!!

You do need fairly high C rating packs and with the current draw of the hot motors and heavier (than 190mm TC) you should consider packs in excess of 6000mah 50C. I wouldnt worry much about the weight of the packs in this car as you'll have more than enough power in that setup. If you really want to shed some weight then titanium or alu screws and other 747 LW parts like axles etc are the way to go.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Yeah, I've spent many hundred of hours researching and forum surfing! BUT the best way of learning is by actually doing. Its easy to get lost in the opinions online and ending up investing stacks in stuff you dont really need. For me the 747-e is a toy (a totally awesome toy ) and I just reused electronics I already have. Granted its not the quickest setup but it does me fine right now!! Love my 747-e!!

You do need fairly high C rating packs and with the current draw of the hot motors and heavier (than 190mm TC) you should consider packs in excess of 6000mah 50C. I wouldnt worry much about the weight of the packs in this car as you'll have more than enough power in that setup. If you really want to shed some weight then titanium or alu screws and other 747 LW parts like axles etc are the way to go.
So I purchased the LRP Dynamic 10l 4700kv along with the tekin rx8; funny you should mention 6000+mah. Because after some research, I decided to go with the SMC 6500 70c race ready 3s. I was informed by SMC that it will be in inventory by early august. I don't mind waiting—I'll kill the time with my 747nitro! Thanks again for all your help.
Old 06-30-2014, 02:32 AM
Tech Elite

So I purchased the LRP Dynamic 10l 4700kv along with the tekin rx8; funny you should mention 6000+mah. Because after some research, I decided to go with the SMC 6500 70c race ready 3s. I was informed by SMC that it will be in inventory by early august. I don't mind waiting—I'll kill the time with my 747nitro! Thanks again for all your help.
Nice one. I'll be looking forward to hearing how it goes! No one around your area got a 3s pack you can borrow?? Man I couldn't wait a whole month or more to run a new car!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.