Search

Losi 8 or Xray 808

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 08:39 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Losi 8 or Xray 808

Im driving losi eight for almost a year now but now 808 got my attention

can anyone can tell ups and down of both cars...
Old 07-22-2008, 09:03 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

if you have had a losi 8 that long and still like id say just run it..but losi do get there normal slop..

i have not personally drove the 808 i do have the XB8ec but havent drove it yet ether and all i hear is great things about the 808 and the xray line of products..im not much a losi man tho
Old 07-22-2008, 09:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The 808(or 8ight08ight) looks like a carbon fibre Losi 8ight. It does not seem nearly as athletic as the Losi, though.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:38 AM
Tech Master

I have an Eight and I love it, but the 808 looks very impressive.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:57 AM
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up

GO 808 BEST 8 SCALE KIT YOU MONEY CAN BUY.......
BEST MANUL PLUS SETUP TIPS AND WHY TO TRY THEM !!!!!!!!!
Old 07-22-2008, 11:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I have a Losi and I love it. I have to admit I want an 808 but I got to wait till I learn to drive better. You only live once why not get one. If you don't like it you can sell it for more than the cost of a new Losi kit. Or even a HB D8 kit I don't care if it is HB that thing look mean too. Your in a win win situation.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

Go 808 for sure. The quality is tops bar none. I get tired of hearing the *ight remarks. They may look similar but look closer and you will see innovation that is no where else. Like direct-connect driveline. It is sooo easy to work on. And very responsive to set up changes. I will bite you a bit if you have a heavy finger. The up front cost to you will be made up in not having to stock and replace sooo many spares. I have 3 gallons of brutality through mine and have zero issues. If you buy an Xray you will wonder why you even asked the question!
Old 07-22-2008, 12:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slaytanic
Go 808 for sure. The quality is tops bar none. I get tired of hearing the *ight remarks. They may look similar but look closer and you will see innovation that is no where else. Like direct-connect driveline. It is sooo easy to work on. And very responsive to set up changes. I will bite you a bit if you have a heavy finger. The up front cost to you will be made up in not having to stock and replace sooo many spares. I have 3 gallons of brutality through mine and have zero issues. If you buy an Xray you will wonder why you even asked the question!
+1

It makes me very sad that I need to sell mine. The 808 really is a pleasure to work on. I personally preferred Leon McIntosh's setup to Roccos as it drives more like a TC than "turn and burn"
Old 07-22-2008, 12:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

I figured this debate would start here eventually... so here goes...

For starters, I have owned and raced both Losi 8 & the Xray XB808 in expert class racing. I believe both are great designs, but the Xray is hands down the quality winner. Also the buggy is almost a 1/2 pound lighter than the Losi, thats huge in scale terms.

The Pros of the Xray XB808:
- Handling 10 out of 10, its amazing how this thing holds corner speed!
- Lighter and stronger, its so light it wont even beat itself to death in a crash
- Lighter, so it turns better with less weight pushing it out in a corner
- Lighter, it needs less run up to clear jumps
- Lighter, it accelerates quicker out of corners
- Lighter, it stops faster
- Extreme top quality metals, plastics and design
- Much cheaper to run in the long run because you need almost no parts
- Higher traction than any other buggy, you will dominate in loose conditions
- Perfect completely stock no hop-ups needed at all

The Cons of the Xray XB808:
- The initial purchase price is a bit higher than a Losi
- Any parts you want to stock will probably have to be ordered online
- Bulkhead bearing must be maintained often, every 2-3 gallons..

In summary the XB808 is the newest lightest and best built race buggy on the market... Period! My consistency and lap times have both improved since I started running this buggy. In fact, last Saturday night I TQ'd and lapped the field in my Expert buggy A-main, and I haven't done that in years!!! You can do things with the XB808 that you cant do with others, due to the weight and traction advantage.

Now on to the Losi....
The pros of the Losi:
- Good design... centerline and forward weight balance perfect for US tracks
- Great parts availability
- Great price on the race roller, I found it for $429.99 with free shipping at Airland Hobbies... here: http://www.airlandhobbies.com/catalo...7280178984.htm
- Descent plastics and metals, however you will wear out 2 Losi's to 1 Xray
- Fairly light in comparison to older designs such as the Mugen MBX5 or K car

The Cons of the Losi:
- Servo tray setup is very difficult, you will need to stock 2 extra servos $$$
(I personally burned 5 throttle servos out in 4 months while learning how to setup the servo tray. Losi knows there is a problem and refuses to fix it. This is forcing many to go broke, quit RC racing, or move to another buggy. I believe this is hurting the Racing hobby by letting new racers pump hundreds of extra dollars into their Losi buggy)
- Wear on the steering rack is heavy and needs constant replacement
- Chassis, shocks, and diff cups take a gallon to break-in and work properly

Well thats it... I know some will disagree about the servo issue but the majority of Losi 8 owners know what I'm talking about. If your the "one", who never had a servo problem... props to you! It will happen just wait...

Also Xray put more buggies in the Worlds warm-up A-main race last week than any other team. Ohh, and they had one of the smallest teams competing with less of a chance statistically. So it really speaks to the advantage the new XB808 has.

If you haven't owned both,.... well don't tell us how great the one you have is, because you haven't fairly compared the two.

Piece...

Sorry about the light, lighter than light remarks,... but it matters. Yes other design elements on the Xray are also very nice!
Old 07-22-2008, 12:34 PM
Tech Initiate

Default XRAY or 8ight

Xray makes a good buggy. I drive an 8ight. I have just learned how to dial in the 8ight. I am finally feeling fast. The 808 look good I agree, but unless there is some sort mass improvement in technology I am not running to the next newest thing. If you are having a hard time with the 8ight then get a new buggy, it is better you get a new buggy than become disinterested in the sport. If you do not have either. and are new to 1/8th scale, I can not believe you can make a bad decision with any of the top 5 buggies. Kyosho, Losi, Mugen, Xray, OFNA. Just take some time to talk to the people at your local track. The best buggy is the one you can get local help with. It will be a lot more fun to be competative than to be fustrated trying to figure out a buggy's tune without any help.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:36 PM
K_B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

As a Losi driver, I'd have to agree that the Xray is a better quality kit I'm a guy that goes on gut instinct though. I've seen the Xray up close and I just never got the "I WANT one of THOSE" like I did with the Losi. But hearing that it's a HALF POUND lighter has me re-thinking things a bit. The Xray has alot of nice features and many are not apparent at first glance; like the weight savings.

It just doesn't look as athletic as the Losi does. I know looks don't account for anything on the track, but that's just how I am.

Once I'm in the market for a new kit, I would probably switch to either Xray or Mugen depending on how the new '6 turns out and how much parts are gonna run comparatively.

I'd also have to agree that the Losi RTRs are bad news for beginners and for r/c racing. It can and does turn away many potential racers.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hands down the 808!

I raced the 8IGHT for over 2 years (great buggy) but picked up the X-Ray to try. The 808 is by far better in build, quality of material and DRIVING. Its way more forgiving, and the durability of it is amazing. I have 5 races on mine so far, and have yet to break a single part, and or need to replace any (Beside clutch bearings) due to wear. Zero slop!

Yeah the 808 is more $, but the lack of parts that will need to be replaced dues to excessive wear or slop'age, you'll be way ahead with the X-Ray quality. Plus it drives better....
Old 07-22-2008, 01:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

I think we have made our point LOL!
Old 07-22-2008, 02:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Somebody was reading my mind when they posted this...Currently I have a Losi 8. Unfortunately I haven't had the pleasure of driving a 808. I do have 4 years of experience on the original XB8 (which I loved). I am in the middle of the road with the two now that I am thinking about switchn up. What my questions is, how does the 808 wear compare to the Losi 8? The XB8 pretty much did not wear at all, but due to design changes there may be some spots that might see more wear than the previous designs. Specifically I am talking about drive shafts and the part that goes into the hub carriers, the chassis itself, clutchbells, hinge pins, and any other part on the Losi that wears frequently.

What are the 808 owners seeing for the parts that they are having to replace due to wear?
Old 07-22-2008, 02:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

i think the chassis and th bulk head bearings are the main things on the xray.. chassis wear is pretty fast but so is the losi... I think the losi with the right setup has more intial turn in and holds good line through the turns. The 808 i feel needs more intial turn in but has tons of center and exit steering.. The 808 is a car that likes to be driven pretty easy i think u half to even drive it easier then the losi 8ight. But ive seen that easy laps are fast laps with this car.. if your a point shoot type driver this prolly wont work for u as the losi and this car likes to be drove into the turn and off instead of throwin into corners and hamerd out.. Part quality is about 5 times better then losi... But buying the parts are the next hard thing xray is slacking on getting the parts out to hobby shops they need to step it up... i think both losi and xray great car i can run the same lap times with both so its all good...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.