Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
What radio upgrade would you reccomend and why? >

What radio upgrade would you reccomend and why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What radio upgrade would you reccomend and why?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 06:01 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I thought I read that nomadio can no longer make remotes for the public. I think it violates their contract with the government. I will agree that HH customer service is not great but they have resolved any issues I had, none of which was with radio equipment. The positive side is I can still buy stuff for my radio if I need to.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

I have a Nomadio Sensor and I absolutely love it. The included on board telemetry is awesome and the temp senor is really accurate. It also keeps track and displays the voltage of your receiver pack. This is very usefull especially if your using Lipos.

The reason I bought it was I was hearing guys at the track who were buying new radios every few years so they can have all the new bells and whistles. With the Nomadio all you have to do is download the latest firmware and the new features (bells and whistles) will be installed.

I think the reason it is becoming difficult to fine new Nomadios is the fact that they have government contracts. We are in the midst of a war and I think that the military takes priority over a R/C racer. This was also brought up on the Nomadio forum and it was stated that they will release more transmitters and bump their customer service back up once this war is over.

I you are interested in a Nomadio, then check the for sale/trade section of this forum. There was a Sensor and a React for sale there. As far as customer service is concerned, Nomadio is great. They have fallen off a tad bit but if you contact Scott at Nomadio he is really good at responding to your e-mails quickly. I think the Nomadio will be the last radio you wil ever buy.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:16 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Furadi
and this "veteran racer" isn't going to tell someone they need something for the hell of it. I trust his opinion
A lot of "veteran" racers say all sorts of things, and not because they're the truth but because they believe them. But personally I've never seen a radio make someone a better driver overnight, unless it was from upgrading from a bare-bones really cheapie stock RTR unit, and I see way more people using radios that are beyond their means or needs just because someone told them they needed to.
IMHO if you trust the guy's opinion so much it would be better going with what he tells you to get because that's the only way it appears you'll be happy. Otherwise you'll get nothing but a pile of varied opinions for people here and chances are none of them will anty up to your veteran's.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:32 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by szakcajaru
A lot of "veteran" racers say all sorts of things, and not because they're the truth but because they believe them. But personally I've never seen a radio make someone a better driver overnight, unless it was from upgrading from a bare-bones really cheapie stock RTR unit, and I see way more people using radios that are beyond their means or needs just because someone told them they needed to.
IMHO if you trust the guy's opinion so much it would be better going with what he tells you to get because that's the only way it appears you'll be happy. Otherwise you'll get nothing but a pile of varied opinions for people here and chances are none of them will anty up to your veteran's.

wow X2
Old 08-11-2008, 08:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

and you deduced that how? The main point of this thread is to find out how better radio's improve your driving if at all.

Last edited by Furadi; 08-11-2008 at 10:59 AM.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:00 AM
Suspended

and you deduced that how? The main point of this thread is to find out how better radio's improve improve your driving if at all.
Because you said "this "veteran racer" isn't going to tell someone they need something for the hell of it. I trust his opinion."
I'm not knocking you, but if you trust his opinion maybe you should ask him.

The deal is that every year or so some new radio system hits the market and everyone has to have it and swears on their mother's grave that it's the best thing since full frontal nudity. I can remember when that was the case about the DX2 and then the DX3 and then Spektrum modules for various radios, and before that with PCM radios, and it never ends. But just because the radio costs more doesn't mean it's better. In most cases it just gives you more whistles and bells and knobs and adjustments you'll never use or understand how to use or remember how they work. I thought it particularly funny that in one of the magazines they had one of the recent world champion drivers explaining his set-up and he said his highbuck radio had all the stock settings other than EPA. Did he need them? No. But he had them because he got his radios for free.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

The main point of this thread is to find out how better radio's improve improve your driving if at all.
Just to throw this out there... In the new dx3 ads they claim their new technology has the most consistent latency where older systems/other brands have varied response times causing inconsistent driving. So in theory, they are claiming to make you a better driver with their new technolgy I use FM with my m11, so screw them
Old 08-11-2008, 10:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

Because you said "this "veteran racer" isn't going to tell someone they need something for the hell of it. I trust his opinion."
I'm not knocking you, but if you trust his opinion maybe you should ask him.

The deal is that every year or so some new radio system hits the market and everyone has to have it and swears on their mother's grave that it's the best thing since full frontal nudity. I can remember when that was the case about the DX2 and then the DX3 and then Spektrum modules for various radios, and before that with PCM radios, and it never ends. But just because the radio costs more doesn't mean it's better. In most cases it just gives you more whistles and bells and knobs and adjustments you'll never use or understand how to use or remember how they work. I thought it particularly funny that in one of the magazines they had one of the recent world champion drivers explaining his set-up and he said his highbuck radio had all the stock settings other than EPA. Did he need them? No. But he had them because he got his radios for free.
Oh I plan to, unless he reads this in the meantime. I just didn't think to yesterday as it was a race day and I'm usually pretty pre-occupied on a race day.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by rallyebmx
Just to throw this out there... In the new dx3 ads they claim their new technology has the most consistent latency where older systems/other brands have varied response times causing inconsistent driving. So in theory, they are claiming to make you a better driver with their new technolgy I use FM with my m11, so screw them
Apparently FM is faster than DSM. That's why the pro's use it.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:21 AM
Tech Regular

That and none of the Futaba drivers can trust the fasst system. It has to many failures. I had the radio, I know sponsored guys that have it which is what I am basing my opinion on.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:21 AM
Tech Adept

im pretty new and i use an m11 i cnt really compare it to anything else cuz its all i had but its acually really easy to use once u start messing with it very easy to set trims and i really like using a lipo batery pack in it because its the only radio with a lipo pack that will fit in it
Old 08-11-2008, 01:13 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by ruggydriver
im pretty new and i use an m11 i cnt really compare it to anything else cuz its all i had but its acually really easy to use once u start messing with it very easy to set trims and i really like using a lipo batery pack in it because its the only radio with a lipo pack that will fit in it

umm...u can fit a lipo in any Tx.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:26 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Integra
umm...u can fit a lipo in any Tx.
yup!
Old 08-11-2008, 03:04 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

A lot of "veteran" racers say all sorts of things, and not because they're the truth but because they believe them.
Granted, there are a lot of different opinions out there...

But personally I've never seen a radio make someone a better driver overnight, unless it was from upgrading from a bare-bones really cheapie stock RTR unit, and I see way more people using radios that are beyond their means or needs just because someone told them they needed to.
That's exactly what we are talking about here. I had (ok, still have but don't use) a DX2. It doesn't have exponential adjustments, nor do I believe it has speed adjustments. Just endpoints... Those are 2 nice tools to improve your control of the car... (or crutches, if you wish to call them that... but exponential on steering can tame a twitchy car to a certain extent... and speed adjustment on throttle can help make you smoother...)

You don't HAVE to buy the latest and greatest. Just look for the features you need. I suggest:

1) Exponential on both throttle and steering
2) Speed adjustment on both throttle and steering. (NO, that is not the same as exponential!)

Spektrum is nice, but not mandatory... most decent radios can be upgraded to spektrum, and some can be bought with it. I'm not going to recommend any specific radio... I run an old M8 that I bought used and it works just fine... and I run the Spektrum module and the receiver that came with my DX2. There are lot of good radios out there... get something that has the features you want, in your price range, and that feels decent in your hand.

As for light weight... my M8 is heavy, but I don't even notice when I'm driving. Your opinion on that may differ.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:48 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 123 (100%+)

To answer your question in the original post: I think that the Futaba 3PM is a great budget "high end" radio. I have a 3PKS and my son has the 3PM - both with FASST. I can make almost all the same "common" adjustments on his as I can on mine. Granted, the 3PM is a little bit harder to navigate through to make the changes, but you are paying WAYYY less money for similar features and the same technology. It will run lipo, has throtle and steering exponential and steering speed. It has been a great little radio

I give a nod to the 3pks if you want to spend even more money. The larger screen and more buttons make it easy to navigate through the multitude of settings. I don't use half of what the radio is capable of. I am a sportsman driver that got a good bonus check a year ago and wanted it. In hindsight, for my skills and the amount of racing I do (or don't do...) I would be just fine with the 3PM like my son.

Oh, I chose the 3PKS because I am a lefty and wanted to throttle with my finger instead of turning the radio backwards in my right hand and throttling with my thumb (that's how I raced until last year) but the reversable wheel was a priority. I chose between the M11 and the 3PKs based on feel in my hand. I have tried m8 and m11 and don't feel right with them.

Good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.