Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I hate a Losi clutch.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 07:57 PM

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default clutch screws

Guys I use antisieze. The stuff I use on spark plug boots to keep them from sticking on the plug, and I don't crank them down. I use both fly wheels and I have yet to have them stick or strip out. I get the anti-seize at autozone or advance auto!
Old 01-17-2010, 08:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by losi_racer
get better tools. i use hudy, hell even when i went to proline tools i stopped stripping the heads. they dont need much torque, once they are screwed in thats it. they wont screw anymore, people try to give it the last little turn and thats what strips them
i havent striped any out just get good tools and dont overtighten there tiny screws
Old 01-17-2010, 08:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Hudy = No Problems!!!!!!!!
Old 01-17-2010, 08:49 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I did have a brand new hudy tip snap at the tip on the 1st use. I think I just got a bad tip. The hudy tools overall have been excellent.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:53 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Frank L
I did have a brand new hudy tip snap at the tip on the 1st use. I think I just got a bad tip. The hudy tools overall have been excellent.
I too have snapped them however the fit is amazing. When I did snap them It was due to me over tightening never coming out though.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:02 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Frank L
Thats why I won't buy Hudy. Seen this happen to a few people.

I even have heard a Hudy rep personally say they would buy MIP/Thorp over there own stuff.

That says a lot in my eyes.

MIP/Thorp for me.

Life time warranty, and they regrind tips for you anytime you need.

Priced below the Hudy drivers as well.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:11 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Ya hudys are expensive but I still think they are the best. Well see how these shepard drivers hold up.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I agrre with slotting the pin and no loctite. I like the idea of antiseize, but wonder of it is necessary. I use EDS and have stripped out the head, but the EDS tools are great. I think my problem is overtightening. It doesn't take much on theose pins.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RJNicholson
Thats why I won't buy Hudy. Seen this happen to a few people.

I even have heard a Hudy rep personally say they would buy MIP/Thorp over there own stuff.

That says a lot in my eyes.

MIP/Thorp for me.

Life time warranty, and they regrind tips for you anytime you need.

Priced below the Hudy drivers as well.

The opposite happened to me. I've had the same set of HUDY drivers for 8 years with no problems and the tips still look great. When I bought a losi buggy I also needed some standard drivers so I bought 4 MIP thorp drivers. About a week after I started racing the losi I snapped a MIP 1/16in driver trying to loosen a driveshaft pinion coupler. I not saying MIP drivers are bad, Ive had no troubles with the others I bought and like them a lot. I just like the HUDY drivers better. The snapped MIP driver got replaced with a HUDY.

BTW, MIP would not warranty my driver. They just offered to regrind it for about the same price I could just buy a new driver for, and thats what I did, bought a hudy!!
Old 01-17-2010, 10:04 PM
Tech Regular

Yup... It's truly a personal opinion I have honestly heard stories about all different types of drivers including both sets that I own.

Like you said it's just my experience was opposite.

On the warranty part. Not sure why it was different for you, but I guess since I sent mine in through my LHS it was different or they have dealer agreements with them, but I did have to have my receipt to send with it as well.

I was just really no longer sold when a rep said "when I buy my persona
Old 01-17-2010, 10:21 PM
Tech Elite

I wonder what the hudy warranty is like. I have snapped 2 but I just bought the replacement tips for them. This was my fault as I was wrenching down to hard.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:09 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 5 (88%+)

Just for the record I didnt put them in there tight or loctite them. I bought the buggy from a local racer here and apparently he applied a good amount of loctite. It had come time for me to change the clutches and I stripped them trying to get them out not in.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc5 man
how long does the clutch shoes, they make last? its a nice clutch
Tc5 man,

I have been getting 3 gallons on mine as many others have. I could have gone some more but was going to be running an hour main so I changed them out. But with proper use 3 gallons is easy.

I have been around for a long time and as far as clutches go this is the easiest clutch I have ever worked on. I have it down to less than a minute to change the shoes.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I have never used the Ascendency clutch. I would go with the M2C clutch 4 shoe. You can definately get 2 gallons out of there shoes. I had the same problem from time to time with the losi clutch. I don't think its a matter of the tools occasionally everyone strips those heads. The losi clutch is a good clutch just a pita to work with some days.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

don't laugh guys but i been using my cheap dynamite tools fors years w/o any problems

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.