Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OS V-Spec won't idle

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 05:12 PM
Tech Adept

Default OS V-Spec won't idle

I've got a pretty good tune on my OS V-Spec. Still trying to get more bottom end out of the corners. However I can't get it to idle without the car moving. I imaging it's because the crankshaft is spinning the clutch shoes fast enough for them to rotate the clutch bell... I guess. Any thoughts and help on getting it to idle without my RC8 moving?

Thanks,

Pete
Old 08-24-2008, 05:17 PM
Tech Master

I'm sure it has something to do with idel screw in too much, but low end mixture also plays a part, and you can't forget about the clutch. What spring/shoes are you running? It's also possible to have a broken spring and it's letting a shoe is hitting the bell. It's going to be one of thoes three things.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:33 PM
Tech Regular

My guess would be LSN too rich and idle screw in too far, basically what Woodchuck said.

If that is the case check your HSN, its probably too lean.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If the car won't sit still and idle check your clutch because if it is hanging up or if the bearing s are are bad it cause the problem
Old 08-24-2008, 05:35 PM
Tech Adept

I just checked the clutch and springs. I'm running the clutch and springs that came with the RC8. Aluminum Shoes. Springs are all okay. Just checked them. I've heard some people open up the low end needle a lot then turn out the idle screw to get it to idle. I was just wondering if I should be running different shoes.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:36 PM
Tech Adept

Bearings are good. I've only gotten about a gallon through the engine so far.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:39 PM
Tech Master

I would set the idel screw back to factory. It works fine, I've never touched one on any of my OS motors. Then tune for that.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:40 PM
Tech Adept

okay I'll give that a shot tomorrow night.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:03 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jrwoodchuck
I would set the idel screw back to factory. It works fine, I've never touched one on any of my OS motors. Then tune for that.
How do ya get them to idle during break in with the factory settings?
Old 08-25-2008, 08:01 AM
Tech Master

Just keep working the throttle, every 2 or 3 seconds pull trigger to 1/4 throttle, then off. Also my glow driver wont stay on the turbo plugs. So just work the throttle...
Old 08-25-2008, 01:59 PM
Tech Adept

Okay dumb question alert guys.

When idling should you have the break on? If so then I'm not having a problem then. It's sitting nicely with the breaks on idling.

Pete
Old 08-25-2008, 02:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

No, you shoudn't have to keep the brakes on to idle without moving. How would you describe the idling? Does it seem to be revving pretty high or quieter and slower? A video would be helpful.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:10 PM
Tech Adept

I'll get a video tonight and post it. Today I tried raising the lsn a half turn from flush and lowering the idle screw. It won't start in those positions. If I back them off a bit I can get it to start, the engine runs very slow and the wheels are spinning slowly while the buggy is sitting on the start box. As soon as I place it on the ground it stalls out.

Pete
Old 08-25-2008, 03:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Did you check to make sure the clutch bell spins nice and smoothly when it's mounted correctly? It sounds to me like something in the clutch assembly is hanging. Bad or too many washers/shims, bearings or hanging shoes could all do it.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:43 PM
Tech Adept

Here's video of it running sitting on the starter box. I can get it to run a little slower than this with the LSN at 1 o'clock from flush, and the idle screw at about 8 o'clock from factory default. I'll take the clutch assembly apart and take a picture of it. Bell spins nice and smooth.

Couldn't get the file small enough with Winzip. I uploaded to youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-w9bHcJhkZs

Pete

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.