Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1/8 buggy clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 01:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

IMO the Fioroni Turbo and Twin Turbo 05 clutches are excellent for buggies and rally/IGT cars. They deliver smooth power, good bottom end, stay consistent, last forever, and are 'worry free' clutches. If you know how to assemble them properly, they do not collapse on themselves. They are adjustable with the optional springs; you can lighten them by drilling holes in them; you can mix and match different compounds for further adjustment. I have used them (original Turbo and Twin Turbo) for years in buggies and more recently in my IGT car, and my results have been good (I have TQ'ed and won nearly every IGT race I have competed in) and I am very pleased with the life and wear of the shoes and springs. I have used the clutch in my buggies at Revelation, Hot Rod Hobbies (TQ'ed the NORRCA Nats several years ago with them), and SVM, mainly for testing purposes. Small track, big track, wet, dry, dusty, etc., I have not had the springs soak in heat or the clutch lock up or anything like that.
The Fioroni Vario, Penta, and Adjustable (the one that the Werks is similar to)
clutches are also available and good for buggies and other applications.
If you would like more info on any of them, please PM me and I will email you.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by t0adman
What are the stock springs and why would someone choose heavier over lighter springs? I understand it determines when the clutch engages but which is better for what type of track and conditions?
Stock RC8 springs are 1.0. Stiffer springs raise the stall speed and can help you make more bottom end power on a motor like a Ws7. The trade off is that they come in harder, and you can lose traction easier.

Lighter springs will lower the stall and smooth out engagement, but can bog the engine if too soft.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chris Reilly
Kyosho clutch with carbon's/1.0 for a smooth clutch that is good for gallon's. You could also try the hard aluminum.

The Mugen clutch aluminum/1.0 is very good. Just chamfer the edge of the shoe. It last for gallon's as well.

Would like to try the M2C clutch. There are 2 many choices of shoes and springs. It get to expensive if you buy something you don't like. If someone wants to send me one. I will test it. I'm in the Toronto area.
Yeah here's a free clutch... JK lol
Just buy a HARD REGULAR Mugen style shoe. Use the springs rates, just like you would any other brand..
Old 08-19-2008, 06:14 PM
Tech Initiate

Well the only one I have been running for a real long time was the 4 shoe 'unlimited engineering' clutch, which was a ofna flywheel, ofna springs and the unlimited engineering 7075 shoes. It worked well for me, but the shoes needed alot of maintanence, and I wanted something adjustable that most people would have parts for. I was having to buy two packs of 3 springs to get 4 springs, which is just weird, and nobody but UE carries those alu shoes. It worked for me with 1.1 springs, lots of bottom end on anything, but I was changing shoes and springs every weekend just to be sure I wouldn't break a spring. I also went through what I would consider an abnormal amount of clutch bearings - but that was probably the 1.1 springs. I did pickup about 10 packs of shoes and springs when they had a huge sale a long time ago, but I have since gone through all of those. I am looking forward to trying out the vario, along with a couple of other things. The only other clutches I was thinking about were the new reckward tuning one, sold out everywhere, or a sliding clutch (bad reviews).
Old 08-19-2008, 07:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by garen
IMO the Fioroni Turbo and Twin Turbo 05 clutches are excellent for buggies and rally/IGT cars. They deliver smooth power, good bottom end, stay consistent, last forever, and are 'worry free' clutches. If you know how to assemble them properly, they do not collapse on themselves. They are adjustable with the optional springs; you can lighten them by drilling holes in them; you can mix and match different compounds for further adjustment. I have used them (original Turbo and Twin Turbo) for years in buggies and more recently in my IGT car, and my results have been good (I have TQ'ed and won nearly every IGT race I have competed in) and I am very pleased with the life and wear of the shoes and springs. I have used the clutch in my buggies at Revelation, Hot Rod Hobbies (TQ'ed the NORRCA Nats several years ago with them), and SVM, mainly for testing purposes. Small track, big track, wet, dry, dusty, etc., I have not had the springs soak in heat or the clutch lock up or anything like that.
The Fioroni Vario, Penta, and Adjustable (the one that the Werks is similar to)
clutches are also available and good for buggies and other applications.
If you would like more info on any of them, please PM me and I will email you.

I agree 100%,

Fioroni is an excellent clutch, all you have to do to maintain them is when you replace clutch bearings just dust off the clutch bell inside and wipe down the clutch shoes and your ready to go again.

I own four sets of fioroni clutches on my Truggy and two buggies and have one spare, one clutch is close to four years old with the same shoes.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:49 PM
Tech Elite

Integra in my buggy they did. If I raced with you I would prove it to you. I had 2.5-3 gallons on my last Mugen clutch and clutch bearings. Won many races with them as well. Sorry if yours didn't last that long. I understand some may not have but I do get great life out of them.

Asking people on the web is just silly. To many people think they know things they don't. Some really do know there stuff and I respect that. To many bashers out there. That bash great products when it's them that is the problem.

I may talk to Mitch at some point. As of now I don't see the need. I wish Mitch all the best. It makes a great product.

Actually the hobby is cheaper now than it has ever been. I have been very fortunate and have been helped for many years by shops and distributor. Thanks to those that have helped me.

Joe if I already have a awesome 3 shoe set-up. I would possibly try a 4 shoe set-up.

Last edited by Chris Reilly; 08-19-2008 at 09:07 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:52 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Get over your self Chris....I KNOW my Chit...and that's all there is to it.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:28 AM
Tech Elite

Interga with all do respect. This isn't helping Allumina out. If you don't agree I'm fine with that. It's not worth discussing or arguing about.

Allumina what ever you choose best of luck to you. Sorry for hi-jacking your thread.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

No worries guys I trip over my ego all the time too At any rate I think im going to get a Fioroni Slider ordered... everything i've read about it was [+] so I'll give her a shot. One thing I learned from this thread was that I was definately using the wrong springs, I had the hardest ones and that isn't such a good idea on a super dusty track like we run.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:48 AM
Tech Elite

The funny thing is being genuine is considered ego. People judge you with out knowing you. I run into it all the time.

The Fioroni clutch is a good clutch. Best of Luck to you !
Old 08-20-2008, 12:09 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Allumina
No worries guys I trip over my ego all the time too At any rate I think im going to get a Fioroni Slider ordered... everything i've read about it was [+] so I'll give her a shot. One thing I learned from this thread was that I was definately using the wrong springs, I had the hardest ones and that isn't such a good idea on a super dusty track like we run.
Noooooo!!! Don't do it!

Sorry but as mentioned by Integra, they run great when brand spanking new - if you like a pretty much non adjustable clutch (waaa waaa different springs....in reality you can really only run the hard ones).
Once they have had a little running they become very inconsistent and engage far too early as the springs go away.... which happens quite regularly... and they aren't cheap....

I paid for it, I tried it, now it sits in my spares tray laughing at me.....
Old 08-20-2008, 12:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chris Reilly
Integra in my buggy they did. If I raced with you I would prove it to you. I had 2.5-3 gallons on my last Mugen clutch and clutch bearings. Won many races with them as well. Sorry if yours didn't last that long. I understand some may not have but I do get great life out of them.

Asking people on the web is just silly. To many people think they know things they don't. Some really do know there stuff and I respect that. To many bashers out there. That bash great products when it's them that is the problem.

I may talk to Mitch at some point. As of now I don't see the need. I wish Mitch all the best. It makes a great product.

Actually the hobby is cheaper now than it has ever been. I have been very fortunate and have been helped for many years by shops and distributor. Thanks to those that have helped me.

Joe if I already have a awesome 3 shoe set-up. I would possibly try a 4 shoe set-up.
Chris I run the 3 shoe in my truggy and a 4 shoe in the buggy.. BOTH with HARD REGULAR shoes... The 4 shoe i run two .9 & two .95... the 3 shoe i run 1.0. Good Luck!`
Old 08-20-2008, 04:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by UNSTABLE
Noooooo!!! Don't do it!

Sorry but as mentioned by Integra, they run great when brand spanking new - if you like a pretty much non adjustable clutch (waaa waaa different springs....in reality you can really only run the hard ones).
Once they have had a little running they become very inconsistent and engage far too early as the springs go away.... which happens quite regularly... and they aren't cheap....

I paid for it, I tried it, now it sits in my spares tray laughing at me.....

Not to start anything here but I've been running Fioroni four years with no problems. I think after four years it's the cheapest clutch you could ever buy.

If you have problems with a Fioroni clutch......which is no brainer to maintain than you'll have problems with everything else.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:47 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Integra
Get over your self Chris....I KNOW my Chit...and that's all there is to it.
Why do you say that in every thread you post in???

Where do you race at? Cause I wanna come down there and flat stomp you around the track, just to let you know exactly how much of your chit you know.

Im sorry but every damn thread you post in you act like you are a sponsered factory team driver. And yet I have never once heard of your name in any magazine or R/C companys factory driver list.

Obviously you dont know your stuff as well as you think.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Moxley... I have had great luck with the Hyper 8.5 Pro Clutch setup. The springs don't ride over the contact surfaces like most others, and they hardly wear at all. Same set from this past Winter! I used Mugen before and found them to be very soft- the springs would soon be contacting the CB.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.