Wiki Posts
Search

who makes the best suspension??

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 04:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default who makes the best suspension??

Just curious as to who has the best shocks. I know they are all good, but i thought this might be a interesting discussion. If i had to guess i would say kyosho or associated?

Does ferronni make shocks
Old 07-12-2009, 04:09 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

i like the associted an jammin big bores
Old 07-12-2009, 04:12 PM
Tech Elite

the ones on the new tamiya 801x look fricken spectacular!
Old 07-12-2009, 04:34 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by dreaux
the ones on the new tamiya 801x look fricken spectacular!
they are nice and tamiya is well known for there shocks.these days i think all the major manufacturers are pretty even though.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

When it comes to shocks nowadays, especially with 1/8th scale or truggy shocks I like to look at the way the lower seal is designed. Using c clips on current big bore shocks is asking for possible problems in the long run. I like the D8 style shocks, they went together without any problems and love the way the seal is retained. I've seen the mugens too, and they have a similar seal retention system too. I've run the ST-RR big bores and didn't care for them cause although they are smooth, the c clip retainers aren't as reliable to me in the long run as other designs available.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:46 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I'm new to the modern RC tech (just back into it after 15 years), just put together my O'Donnell truggy, it has snap rings in the shocks. I guess thats what you guys are calling c-clips. What do the other shocks use? One way to make snap rings/c-clips stay put is to look at them before installing. One side is rounded on the edges from the way they are stamped during manufacturing, other side is flat and has sharp edges. The sharp edges should always go towards outside of the hole you are installing them in. Just something I learned working on full size race cars.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

It's kinda hard to explain how the hot bodies shocks and the mugen are. There's a cap for the lower end of the shock that has a hole that the shaft passes through. This cap, threads onto the lower end of the shock and retains the orings and plastic guides that are comon in shock seals of most r/c shocks. For me, for the seal to blow out would be less likely than that of c clip retained shocks. Especially over time, the newer shock cap retained seals would be more likely to survive longer without failure. If you look at hot bodies website online, you can look at the D8 or D8T instructions and can see how their system works. A friend was putting together a MBX6T and the shocks are similar in the seal retention to the HB big bores. It's not that a C clip design is lacking in performance, it's just one less thing that has a chance of going wrong with a newer design.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dreaux
Just curious as to who has the best shocks. I know they are all good, but i thought this might be a interesting discussion. If i had to guess i would say kyosho or associated?

Does ferronni make shocks
the best shocks are the ones that were either just rebuilt or bought. shock maintnance is key for any shock on the market
Old 07-12-2009, 08:26 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by gotspeed_2000
It's kinda hard to explain how the hot bodies shocks and the mugen are. There's a cap for the lower end of the shock that has a hole that the shaft passes through. This cap, threads onto the lower end of the shock and retains the orings and plastic guides that are comon in shock seals of most r/c shocks. For me, for the seal to blow out would be less likely than that of c clip retained shocks. Especially over time, the newer shock cap retained seals would be more likely to survive longer without failure. If you look at hot bodies website online, you can look at the D8 or D8T instructions and can see how their system works. A friend was putting together a MBX6T and the shocks are similar in the seal retention to the HB big bores. It's not that a C clip design is lacking in performance, it's just one less thing that has a chance of going wrong with a newer design.
I gotcha, that does sound like a better design. Less parts, less failure.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:45 PM
Tech Addict

I've recently installed the TQ racing shocks on my ST-RR and they work flawlessly! As it turns out TQ fashioned many parts of thier vehicles after Kyoshos, so the shocks were almost interchangeable. The nice thing is that they have threaded collars, so no more funky plastic spacer rings to control ride height!! And no c-clips or snap rings either...just a simple combo of o-rings, spacer and threaded cap. I'm very happy with the way they work
Old 07-13-2009, 04:50 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Mugen started it all

Mugen started the trend of using all the screw on bottom caps. Matter of fact Mugen changed the way shocks are built back when they released the MBX5T/5R. These were not Big Bores but jammin wasted no time copying the shocks and making them big bores. All modern day shocks with the exception of a hand full copied the best design. So lets give props to Mugen for making the best shocks...
Old 07-13-2009, 06:14 AM
Tech Regular

Default SHOCKS

The new Jammin super big bores work great. There is a cap on the bottom of the shock body that threads on to retain seals with a hole for the shock shaft. I have yet to have one fail.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:10 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

What no vote for losi? Yes the new truggy roller came with incorrwctly installed shock ends but the shocks are very close to the 1.0 shocks and I ran those all last season no leaks no problems. So far this season on the 2.0 I had the poor factory build to begin with but over all they have worked very well. I like a soft suspension so 27.5 and 32.5 oil works well for me. The losi shocks are put togeather just lke the mugen with the usual seal and plastic guides and a screw on cap. This is a great design.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oneflyryd
Mugen started the trend of using all the screw on bottom caps. Matter of fact Mugen changed the way shocks are built back when they released the MBX5T/5R. These were not Big Bores but jammin wasted no time copying the shocks and making them big bores. All modern day shocks with the exception of a hand full copied the best design. So lets give props to Mugen for making the best shocks...

if you want to go this way, props to Tamiya, really. In 1986, tamiya was the first manufacturer to use screw-on bottom caps on their (in)famous and legendary yellow CVA's, enclosing two o-rings as well as plastic guides, and first released on The Fox. Almost everyone's copied them since, barring the odd american manufacturer (AE and Losi, namely) in every category, 10th scale offroad, onroad, 8th scale onroad, offroad...

Give credit where credit is due

Paul
Old 07-13-2009, 08:20 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lonestar
if you want to go this way, props to Tamiya, really. In 1986, tamiya was the first manufacturer to use screw-on bottom caps on their (in)famous and legendary yellow CVA's, enclosing two o-rings as well as plastic guides, and first released on The Fox. Almost everyone's copied them since, barring the odd american manufacturer (AE and Losi, namely) in every category, 10th scale offroad, onroad, 8th scale onroad, offroad...

Give credit where credit is due

Paul

I used to have a fox and a falcon. What memories.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.