Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8ight Shock Rebuilding Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 08:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Losi 8ight Shock Rebuilding Problems

I have an 8ight rtr buggy with the plastic shock caps. I am rebuilding the shocks now. I put new white o rings in with green slime, and for some reason after I fill them up (just up to the top) and put the NEW shock bladder in, when I move the shock around, and I take it out to put more/less shock oil in the shock, there are TONS of air bubbles. Why is this? I talked to one person and he said he had never had this problem and was wondeirng if anyone else has had this problem? Ive built Losi 10th scale truck shocks all the time, but for some reason it is hard to get these shocks right.

I have the Losi Shock Balancer if this makea a difference. thanks!
Old 02-09-2009, 08:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Do you raise the piston up and down to get the air bubbles out?

I always let my sit for 5 to 10 minutes for the air bubbles to rise to the top.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:57 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by l3asher
Do you raise the piston up and down to get the air bubbles out?

I always let my sit for 5 to 10 minutes for the air bubbles to rise to the top.
Yes I move it up and down. It is to the point where I pump it up and down, let it sit 10 minutes, still air bubbles. Pump it up and down again, wait 20 minutes, etc. Then when there is finally no air bubbles I put the shock cap on and then i have to repeat the process!
Old 02-09-2009, 09:06 PM
Tech Master

Are you pumping up the piston so far up that it is coming out of the oil?
Old 02-09-2009, 09:13 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Alan D.
Are you pumping up the piston so far up that it is coming out of the oil?
No.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:14 PM
Tech Master

Like I said there is no air when I put the bladder and cap on, but there is tons of it when I take it off. Could it be the shock cap?
Old 02-09-2009, 09:18 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Chris__RC
Yes I move it up and down. It is to the point where I pump it up and down, let it sit 10 minutes, still air bubbles. Pump it up and down again, wait 20 minutes, etc. Then when there is finally no air bubbles I put the shock cap on and then i have to repeat the process!
Okay....are you filling the shock below the very top and placing the bladder on top which will trap air under the bladder? that could be where the air is coming from. I always fill to the top and let the excess bleed through the hole in the shock cap.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:19 PM
Tech Master

Well the bladders are new, so make sure they're seated right and screw on the cap tight if all else fails get the aluminum caps.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:22 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BOOST
Okay....are you filling the shock below the very top and placing the bladder on top which will trap air under the bladder? that could be where the air is coming from. I always fill to the top and let the excess bleed through the hole in the shock cap.
I will try that. I guess I can always bleed rather than add more oil. I will tell you how it works!
Old 02-10-2009, 05:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chris__RC
I will try that. I guess I can always bleed rather than add more oil. I will tell you how it works!
That's the right way to build them. Fill to the top, then place the bladder into the shock body and press it down lightly. Then screw the cap on and check the compression, bleed more off if you want. Most people run the 8ight with full rebound on the shocks.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:49 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 440 (99%+)

Originally Posted by cjtamu
That's the right way to build them. Fill to the top, then place the bladder into the shock body and press it down lightly. Then screw the cap on and check the compression, bleed more off if you want. Most people run the 8ight with full rebound on the shocks.
So most people use full rebound? I have been running mine with very minimal rebound for a while now. I wonder how running more rebound would affect the car?

Am I right by thinking that on smoother tracks less rebound would be better and on bumpy tracks more rebound would be better?
Old 02-10-2009, 06:03 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MattP
Am I right by thinking that on smoother tracks less rebound would be better and on bumpy tracks more rebound would be better?
I would think the opposite would be true. Stiffer shock for a smoother surface.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I like the feel better with full rebound, it lets me run a little less spring preload to get the ride height I want. I started doing it last year when I saw a post from Truhe about building the shocks that way. But WTF does he know about it? LOL.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:15 PM
Tech Elite

There is a cool way of getting the air bubbles out of the shock. Fill with oil with the piston all the way down. Raise up the piston WITHOUT pulling it down at all, SLOWLY, til it gets near the top. Then twist and pull down the piston slowly up and down near the top. This will pull the air bubbles up to the top and have larger bubbles. This will clear the bubbles out faster and not creat those tiny bubbles that take so long to disappate.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cornerspeed
There is a cool way of getting the air bubbles out of the shock. Fill with oil with the piston all the way down. Raise up the piston WITHOUT pulling it down at all, SLOWLY, til it gets near the top. Then twist and pull down the piston slowly up and down near the top. This will pull the air bubbles up to the top and have larger bubbles. This will clear the bubbles out faster and not creat those tiny bubbles that take so long to disappate.
Great idea!

I'm going to try this next time I'm shock building.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.