Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Eating through glow plugs today?  A costly day.. Why? >

Eating through glow plugs today? A costly day.. Why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Eating through glow plugs today? A costly day.. Why?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 11:56 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (88%+)

Originally Posted by SKOT
+1

You can have good temps but still have a lean spot in the tune.

How do you know when you have a lean spot in your tune. I keep a very close check on motor temps. Throught Spektrum Telemetry and my Raytek Raynger ST.

To cool a motor that is running in the 250 to 260 range what do you do? I was running on a short track indoors that was fairly tight witha 100 foot straight away.

Do you ritchen the motor till It gets back into the 220 range? Cooler plug?

With the pinch test. How long should it idle for before it starts to die? How many seconds? It should only slightly increase in RPM before dieing?

Thank for all you help guys... This hobby/sport is amasing becasue of your help...
Old 01-04-2008, 01:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

My first thought when reading your posts was that it's probably lean on the LSN. If your temps aren't skyrocketing, you still have smoke at WOT and it doesn't sound like the engine is over reving down the straight the HSN is probably good.

I'd do the pinch test. It should be ok for 4-6 seconds before it revs up and dies. If it will idle for more than 10-15 seconds without starting to load up its probably too lean too.

Its really hard to give specific tuning advice online so this may not be it, but like I said that was my fist thought. If you're blowing plugs in multiple engines its more likely a tuning issue than an engine issue. That's my $.02. Hope it helps.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:45 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by SKOT
I'd do the pinch test. It should be ok for 4-6 seconds before it revs up and dies. If it will idle for more than 10-15 seconds without starting to load up its probably too lean too.

Its really hard to give specific tuning advice online so this may not be it, but like I said that was my fist thought. If you're blowing plugs in multiple engines its more likely a tuning issue than an engine issue. That's my $.02. Hope it helps.

I think you right... its a tuning issue.... I am new at this..

I always thought that if it takes longer then 4-6 its too rich..... now it makes sense...

But the throtle response was perfect..

Question.. At idle should the motor stay in the 200 to 240 range? If its getting hotter then thatt would it be a sign of a lean low end setting?

keep the information coming.. i titled this post so others could use it as a learning too also..
Old 01-05-2008, 01:21 AM
Tech Regular

Looked at my plugs they looked pushed in and dry grey.. So I understand there lean. But why pushed in?
Old 01-05-2008, 01:35 AM
SH
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

it just got too hot so the element has shrunk once it cooled off id say
Old 01-05-2008, 01:36 AM
Tech Regular

Too hot due to being lean? Does that mean I should run a colder plug?
Old 01-05-2008, 01:43 AM
SH
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I would be running a medium temp plug in that engine. If you can get someone with a bit of experience help you tune it once you have got some meduim temp plugs.

I recommend either the LRP R5 which is a meduim plug, or an OS #8. i am not familiar with the O'donnell plugs.

The engine you have uses straight cut plugs does it not?
Old 01-05-2008, 09:39 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

if you want an easy way to keep the life of your glow plugs, instead is holf the pipe end to shut it down, pinch the fuel line. by pinching the fuel line you starve the truck for fuel vs. flooding it out and having to burn all the extra fuel off the glow plug making it go out faster. plus if you pinch the fuel line its also easier to start the next time. just something to think about.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I shim all my engines to .030 and run 30% sidewinder worlds. Even my little .12's like to run like this.

I've been told you can run 30% down to .024 shimming but the tuning may get a little temperamental.

Your thumb on the flywheel of an idling engine will stop the engine immediately. Just give it a bump with the pad of your thumb. Works on buggies, truggies, 1/10, everything.
: )
Old 01-05-2008, 12:23 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jbrow1
I shim all my engines to .030 and run 30% sidewinder worlds. Even my little .12's like to run like this.

I've been told you can run 30% down to .024 shimming but the tuning may get a little temperamental.

Your thumb on the flywheel of an idling engine will stop the engine immediately. Just give it a bump with the pad of your thumb. Works on buggies, truggies, 1/10, everything.
: )

So your saying you run .28 to .30 shims in ALL your motors for 30%?

What if the motor does not stop with a press of your thumb?
Old 01-05-2008, 06:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Yep they are all shimmed right at .030

If it doesn't stop when you bump it with your thumb, just bump it again. Don't ever try it to an engine that is above idle at all. It's easy once ya get past the thought of it might hurt.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:19 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

If the motor runs well and is not lean bogging, I would check your rod for play. It could be a bit worn, and that would cause the plugs to die.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Adim_X
If the motor runs well and is not lean bogging, I would check your rod for play. It could be a bit worn, and that would cause the plugs to die.
+1
Old 01-05-2008, 07:58 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Adim_X
I understnad checking rod play. How do you guys check it.. There must be a few methods?

Also I had problems with both motors.. What are the chances that they both have rod play?

The Plugs looked lean.. With the coils disfugered and light grey. This is the first time I started pluging the stinger to stop a motor. Normaly I pinched the fuel lines..

Could this be a known casue..

Also If the motor is running hot... Should I richen the fuel mix or change the plug type?

and

will a properly tuned motor over heat at idle? What should a motor temp be at idle?
Old 01-05-2008, 08:38 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

in my experience, if an engine eats plugs and they come out dry, i RICHEN it up. You want a nice light brown color. on a tight track with that small of a straight, You should only see temps around 220 tops. Dont tune for a magic temp. Richen it up half a turn on the hsn, and go from there. Also, check the telemetry to a real temp gun to see how the temps comare. At 240, you shouldnt be burning plugs at all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.