Cityblock VS. Calibers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cityblock VS. Calibers

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 07:56 PM
Tech Addict

I would like for a magazine to do a blind comparison where they put an average driver on the stand and let him get used to the track and the buggy/truggy and switch the tires to where he can not see which is which and completely run through all of the tires and see if he can tell you which is which?????? I know that tires make a difference but I think the higher the level of driver the more important it becomes, I would love to conduct this test if any tire co.'s out there want me to do a review send me a p.m. please don't try and prank me.... I have certainly asked for it.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:00 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Joey Platinum
I would like for a magazine to do a blind comparison where they put an average driver on the stand and let him get used to the track and the buggy/truggy and switch the tires to where he can not see which is which and completely run through all of the tires and see if he can tell you which is which?????? I know that tires make a difference but I think the higher the level of driver the more important it becomes, I would love to conduct this test if any tire co.'s out there want me to do a review send me a p.m. please don't try and prank me.... I have certainly asked for it.

good idea sounds good insend of having a pro driver test them
Old 12-04-2009, 10:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

i will try that on the 23rd of january. I'll have my macanic do a switch for me.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

The problem lies with if you have ever driven either tire you will know which tire is which.

One and only "test" of tires is lap times. Just because they "fell good" or "feel fast" doesn't mean that they are.

Out of the 100s of tires we've tested it always comes down to what feels good is usually the slowest in lap times because the driver becomes comfortable and doesn't stay on the edge and thus slows down.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Hmmm.

What feels wright is getting traction over different parts of the track and not having to buy so many different tires for wet or dry, loamy or hardpacked tracks. The Cityblocks fit the bill. I can use them in loose wet dirt and they work all the way down to fairly hardpacked conditions. Then I switch to pro line revolvers. Both tires last long and I'm not looking around trying to find another tire. When I slow down and relax my laptimes get better while everyone else is wrecking, I'm cool calm and in the lead or close. In a 20-40 minute main it all comes down to staying relaxed and yet pushing yourself without going too far. So feeling is important. you say some silly stuff Jimmy. Are you a tire scientist?
Old 12-05-2009, 08:57 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by merdith6
What feels wright is getting traction over different parts of the track and not having to buy so many different tires for wet or dry, loamy or hardpacked tracks. The Cityblocks fit the bill. I can use them in loose wet dirt and they work all the way down to fairly hardpacked conditions. Then I switch to pro line revolvers. Both tires last long and I'm not looking around trying to find another tire. When I slow down and relax my laptimes get better while everyone else is wrecking, I'm cool calm and in the lead or close. In a 20-40 minute main it all comes down to staying relaxed and yet pushing yourself without going too far. So feeling is important. you say some silly stuff Jimmy. Are you a tire scientist?
I don't understand how you think what he has said is silly What he said is true. Just because you feel confident and calm on a certain set of tires doesn't guarantee your going to be fast. You said
When I slow down and relax my laptimes get better while everyone else is wrecking..
that has nothing to do with tires and how they effect your laptimes, you are talking about your driving.

Then you said
it all comes down to staying relaxed and yet pushing yourself without going too far.
I think you agree without knowing to what he said on that. If you get too comfortable your probably not fast anymore. You might be more consistent because your driving slower, but being truly fast means being on the edge AND being consistent.

No he is not a tire scientist, but he knows what works on the track. He knows and deals with a lot of people in the rc tire industry. I'd rather gain knowledge from someone with real world experience over someone sitting behind a desk.

Back to the actual thread topic, I like cityblocks. The revolvers work nice too but they wear a lot faster. City blocks work in most conditions. My only gripe with them is that sometimes they have too much traction for me, but instead of a tire change I will make a small setup change to compensate...then there dialed.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:05 AM
Tech Elite

Default So true.

The city blocks are really locked in, and I was thinking that in my 808 it would help to loosen up the rear, hehe, in my car. Maybe 2 degree rear toe in instead of the stock 3. That would let the car rotate better in the turns. But heck it's so stable now that I use a little more rear brake bias in the one or two turns that it's really not necessary. I set my car up to give more steering anyhow. 10,000 center diff oil helps a lot. If the track gets grooved in, not blue, just packed down an loose dirt pushed aside it will free up the rear, but still it pushes in a few weird places. Any ideas? Zero defect had an idea to raise the front inner camber location to give it more turn in, that was clever I thought, or I thought leaning in the rear tires from 0-1 to 2-3 degrees negative might help too. Or moving the rear hubs to the rear so more weight is put on the front and lighten up the rear, not my first choice, but an old trick that can work. But your idea to change the car while leaving the tires alone is a good one, thanks.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:00 PM
Tech Prophet

oh yea i see what mean i run 3 degree toe in in the rear on my eight 1.0 b
and it doesnt rotate as much cause its more stable
Old 12-06-2009, 05:46 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Does anybody know if the calibers for the truggy are ROAR legal?