Wiki Posts
Search

losi 1/8 shock problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 02:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (97%+)
Default losi 1/8 shock problems

so i have been driving my losi 8 both nitro and elec and my brother has been driving his nitro and elec 8t. pretty much every race our shocks come apart. the rod pulls right out. we have out locktight and set the drups right. everything is all set up right but still they come out.

any info on why? any tips to keep them from not pulling out?
Old 07-10-2011, 07:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

get all the shock oil out the shock rod. Then put blue lock tight and let is set 24 hours hbe for buting any shock oil in it.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fortega95
get all the shock oil out the shock rod. Then put blue lock tight and let is set 24 hours hbe for buting any shock oil in it.
+1 but i say use a very small amount of red....and build it right away
Old 07-10-2011, 08:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tq_racing
so i have been driving my losi 8 both nitro and elec and my brother has been driving his nitro and elec 8t. pretty much every race our shocks come apart. the rod pulls right out. we have out locktight and set the drups right. everything is all set up right but still they come out.

any info on why? any tips to keep them from not pulling out?
Are you pulling the plastic shock end off or is the screw coming out that holds the piston on.If your pulling the shock end then you dont want to use locktite becuase loctite deteriorates plastic.maybe try CA glue,but if the droop screws are set right you shouldn't have any problems.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:23 PM
Tech Elite

i have cleaned out the hole where the screw goes in with break cleaner then let it dry for 2 days then built the shock went to sun the next day and pulled out the first run.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

How much droop are you running?
Old 07-11-2011, 09:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Losi shocks sometimes come from the factory with the shock ends stripped out due to overtightening during assembly. If the ends aren't too ovaled out, put a dab of ca glue in the end and then screw them back on. I do recommend you buy new ends and do not overtighten them when putting them on the shock shaft.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:23 AM
Tech Elite

i have the droop to where the top of the end cap hits the mounting hole. so there is about .25 of an inch that the shock has left before it has to work.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I would suggest not tightening the shockend all the way and leave a tiny bit of the threads exposed. You should set your drop as follows: front(95mm) & rear(106mm) and you should be fine. And as far as loctite is concerned, it should only be used on metal to metal contact.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:36 AM
Tech Elite

the shockends are fine...its the screw that holds the piston to the rod. that screw keeps pulling out. i have put a new rod in and it still does it. my droop is set fine i have done it myself and others have done it at the track also. when it all comes apart i have 2 peices left on the car. 1. the shockend with the rod still in it connected to the arm. 2. the shock body with the piston and screw in the body with the body still being connected to the tower. then the sping and spring holder fall off.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:51 AM
Tech Master

Now we are getting somewhere.

Screws ?? or Lock nuts these??
They are either backing themselves out or the thread on the screws or shaft are stripped.

If screws I would replace the screws and shafts.
Metal on metal usually calls for lock-tight. I would use small amount of blue if any.

If Lock-nuts:
get new Lock-nuts
Old 07-11-2011, 11:54 AM
Tech Elite

the shockends are fine...its the screw that holds the piston to the rod. that screw keeps pulling out. i have put a new rod in and it still does it. my droop is set fine i have done it myself and others have done it at the track also. when it all comes apart i have 2 peices left on the car. 1. the shockend with the rod still in it connected to the arm. 2. the shock body with the piston and screw in the body with the body still being connected to the tower. then the sping and spring holder fall off.
Take the shaft out, and clean REALLLLLLLLLY GOOD..... Use Blue Loctite and let cure for awhile. Make sure the disk are installed in the correct position. You need to insure they are tight.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:57 AM
Tech Elite

have used new screw and new shaft. have cleaned and let the locktite cure for 2 days. still pulls out. me, my brother, and another guy at the track are having this same problem. its getting to the point were im looking at switching brands.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:03 PM
Tech Elite

have used new screw and new shaft. have cleaned and let the locktite cure for 2 days. still pulls out. me, my brother, and another guy at the track are having this same problem. its getting to the point were im looking at switching brands.
Well you got to do what you need to, but I have not had that happen and its not a common problem with the Losi.

Make sure the disk is smooth all the way around.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:05 PM
Tech Master

OK....
So its not the screws....
It's not the shafts...
It's not the shock-ends..
There's not allot left.

This is not a problem that I have seen people having trouble with. I do recall some issues with shock ends but that is not your trouble.
I do not see how this is possible without over extending the shock.
They only thing I know to tell you to try is some internal limiting with some fuel tubing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.