Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 12:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by John Wallace2
I'm sure the wire gauge and the type of wind could be just as easily changed with a global find and replace.

I checked the 25.5 brushless motors on A main Hobbies and 4 of the 6 manufactures listed there (including Novak's BOSS 25.5) state in their product descriptions that their 25.5 motors are either approved by ROAR or built to comply with ROAR Specifications. So someone is confused here!!

Anyway I sent an email to ROAR asking if there are Specs for 25.5 spec brushless motors and if there are any approved 25.5 brushless motors that just happen to not have made the publishing date for the approved brushless motor list on their website. I'll let you know what ROAR has to say about ROAR approved motors for use in ROAR's VTA class.
A few weeks ago when we were discussing ROAR 25.5 specs (or the lack there of), I emailed ROAR about it and promised to let you know what ROAR has to say. I received an email back from Rob King on June 17th and I'm just now posting his reply - my bad for the delay:

Currently ROAR has proposed rules for 25.5 motors. The rules should be published soon. Currently, there are no approved motors as there have been no rules to compare them to. The races in the past have been ad hoc as far as legal motors.

Thanks

Rob King

ROAR technical director
Old 07-14-2014, 07:08 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by CraigMBA
If you want to get these "non glamorous" spec classes to your track, you need to show a little initiative, and evangelize for them.

I bought a slash to race ONE TIME as a second class last December. I got fifth, about twenty feet off the winner. After it was over, I had an orphan slash with no class and nowhere to play, so I took it out and practiced with it everywhere that had an open practice, ran some laps, put the transmitter in the hands of anyone who had a pulse, and told everybody what a great time it was. Two months later we had 22 show up opening day for the class.

While that may be too much to ask for many to do, if you have one of these VTA cars, and you are on the faster end of the class, open your setup book to other guys who are struggling, put your transmitter in the hands of anyone who shows and interest, and do your part to grow (IMO) the best/fairest/least expensive class in on road.
I can't envision how a track without the "lower end" classes like VTA would even get new racers?

Our track had a entry level class (stock TT-01) and it has dwindled. Eventually that lack of participation is going to roll up to VTA and USGT.
Old 07-14-2014, 02:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Can someone direct me to a part of this thread on prepping rituals for the USVTA tires? I have seen people using Simple Green, Goodwrench Top Ending Cleaner, motor spray, contact cleaner, MEK, and tire prep. I've tried two of these methods with results I'm not overly happy with. Suggestions?

Scott
Old 07-14-2014, 03:12 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by NutDriver
Can someone direct me to a part of this thread on prepping rituals for the USVTA tires? I have seen people using Simple Green, Goodwrench Top Ending Cleaner, motor spray, contact cleaner, MEK, and tire prep. I've tried two of these methods with results I'm not overly happy with. Suggestions?

Scott
I've never done a ton to 'prep' my tires... if i'm on carpet, i'll use GFX (assuming paragon isn't allowed) - asphalt, use paragon (full rears, 75-80% fronts) and maybe warmers...

between runs, if they're overly tacky I'll use some motor spray

nothing special and I've had good success
Old 07-14-2014, 11:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NutDriver

Scott
From what I have seen about 6 months ago or more the compound has really changed and they are much softer out of the package now. They require far less "prep" or "break in" time now. In the past I would run for 2 minutes then come in and reapply traction compound and run for another 2 minutes for 4 total pit stops for about 4 battery packs and they would be good. Now the more recent tires I mount up and run and they are good to go in a full battery pack or two with no extra prep work. When the tires were harder I used alot of buggy grip on them to help get them softer. This is all on carpet.
Old 07-15-2014, 06:30 AM
Tech Elite

That makes sense. I have a sweet that is almost worn out that has great bite. My most recently mounted set feels and drives much differently. I usually have a couple of sets in my bag awaiting the need. Maybe I should mount a new set and see how they do.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Buggy grip has been good for cleaning and prepping. Then sauce of choice for the track... asphalt has been tweak or SXT 2.0, with maybe some 1.0 on top for a bit more grip at the beginning of the race.

So the rubber has gotten better? With that I assume they might be wearing quicker as well? Might have to actually go and buy a new set to try. I have been running the same tires for a long time... almost slicks unless tech enforces tread to be showing, in which case I have a few older sets to break out as well.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:24 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

We don't allow sauce on our Asphalt track and have no grip issues at all and very even racing.
New tires grip better than worn 'slicks' on our track as well.

the tires last longer which makes the class cheaper and the racing is closer because nobody has a prep secret
Old 07-15-2014, 01:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Gravity RC LG2 works great on VTA ties as well.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Our indoor club banned Paragon due to the odor so now everyone uses SXT. Seems to work very well.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Yosh70
Our indoor club banned Paragon due to the odor so now everyone uses SXT. Seems to work very well.
Ah, Paragon! I was never bothered by the stuff, it was reasonably pleasant . But yeah, 1.0 or Jack on carpet certainly works well in my somewhat limited experience on that surface.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

We use STX 3.0 and it works very well at Bush River Raceway. Nut races with me there. I am not sure why he is having issues. Some others do too. Then others like me have tons of traction. Next time we are at the track together stop by at we'll chat. I dont keep speed secrets.

One thing I dont like is cleaning tires with EPK. That stuff has a very strong nauseating smell. Makes my dizzy and light headed. I use contact cleaner and tire sauce. I also store my tires coated in sauce in ziploc bags between races

Also the race director will sometimes "prep" the track with some sort of spray that the carpet manufacturer recommended. Traction is unbelievably high when they do this
Old 07-16-2014, 11:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

I use tweak for our asphalt track (http://www.roadrunnersrc.com) unless the track gets dusty then just clean with simplegreen.
I put the tweak on them and let it sit as long as possible with our onroad program sometimes thats 2 hours before my I'm up 80 - 100 entries.
Before my heat i check and wipe off any access. my car is dialed the whole 6min. Everyone always comes over to see what i use.
By the way we usually have 12-15 entires of USVTA at our club races.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:47 AM
Tech Elite

@Maxxican,
What is "tweak"?
Old 07-16-2014, 12:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Trinity Tire Tweak?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.