Wiki Posts
Search

How offen do you change you air filter?? Do you clean or replace

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 07:18 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (86%+)
Default How offen do you change you air filter?? Do you clean or replace

A few of us at our track was having a little decussion when to change your air filters....and everyone had a different answer.

So I was wondering how long do you run your outter and inner filters?

Also do you clean them after and reuse. Spraying like JP1 or just completely use a new filter?
Old 11-15-2009, 08:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

I change them after every race day. If its extra dusty I'll chang them during the day. I use the losi pre oiled ones and they work great... I dispose of them.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

If you properly maintain the outer filter, you should hardly ever have to replace the inner filter. Outer should always be oiled as well. Most companies sell outers seperatly alot cheaper than buying a set each time.

With that said, I use to always throw the outers away without thinking twice, but I have recently been using the KalGard filter cleaner and surprisingly enough, they clean out well where even the outers can be re-used.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by datracing
A few of us at our track was having a little decussion when to change your air filters....and everyone had a different answer.

So I was wondering how long do you run your outter and inner filters?

Also do you clean them after and reuse. Spraying like JP1 or just completely use a new filter?
i used to try and convince myself that they can be cleaned ....and they can ...but you will never be able to the "fines" out of them ..by fines i mean to say the super fine particles of dust that remain ...at the beggining of last year i started buying the 12 packs of powersave racing filters they are good quality and made in germany ...they are about 24 bucks for a 12 pack of outer and inner filters and come with a huge bottle of oil for that price ....i use a new filter every race day and always oil the inner and outer filter changing before a main as stated above ...with the ever increasing price of engines ...this is a good habit to get into ...its a small investment with a big return ...i see people all the time at the track with nasty 3-5 race old filters on there motors ...these are the same people that end up having premature motor failure and all types of tuning issues ...zixxer says "better safe than sorry"

Originally Posted by underway
I change them after every race day. If its extra dusty I'll chang them during the day. I use the losi pre oiled ones and they work great... I dispose of them.
+1 i have just started running a losi 8IGHT 2.0 ....i like the pre-olied filters ok ,,,, but i think im gonna get the powersave replacements ...
Old 11-15-2009, 08:34 AM
Tech Adept

I clean my air filters with thinners.I have been doing that for a while and never had a problem.Just a few seconds and they come out virtually new.Then after they dry I re-oil them.I only oil my inners as well,but thats another whole topic im sure.Dust last season for us wasnt really an issue seeing as it rained at some point during every race weekend and the tracks were usually damp.So I could run the whole weekend on one set.Other wise I would change them as needed.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:49 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by underway
+1 I do exactly what you describe. Things like air filters and glow plugs should be considered consumables and replaced reguarly. Last year and part of this year I ran motor saver filter and elements, past year I cleaned the inner and outer and this year I replace them every race. It always bothered me that no matter how much I washit they were never white again and then there's the question of did j leave a soap residue in the filter? I run the losi filters now and for a few bucks it's just safer to replace them. A few bucks is not worth taking a chance on the heart of your buggy. Plus engines are expensive no matter which one you run a 500 buck speed or a 250 werks it's just not worth chancing it on a couple bucks.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

As mentioned above;

Inspect your filters everytime you run. If the inner is dirty, it's time to replace.

The price and plentiful choices out there right now I no longer wash my filters. For the price to replace vs. my time and the cost of the products that clean them AND as mentioned you won't get everything out, It's not worth the chance to ruin your engine.

I have recently switched to RC Pro Products filters with their oil and haven't looked back. Inexpensive, great filters and the oil won't ruin your glow plugs or gum up the engine if ingested.

Jimmy

Track Star RC
Old 11-15-2009, 10:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I guess I'll step in on this one. Taking my knowledge from years of motocross racing, these filters are made of the same type of foam and the same oil is used for them.
It's perfectly fine to clean them if you do it the correct way. Thinners and solvents will break down the foam. There are some solvents made specifically for air filter cleaning and those work fine, but aren't needed. I was all of my filters in the sink with soapy water. It easily breaks down the oil and gets everything out. I just soak it the filter wish dish soap and work it in really well then rinse it really well. Do not stretch or wring out the filters, it will tear the foam and break it down. Just a simple squeeze to get the majority of the water out is sufficient then let it air dry. If I'm in a hurry, I will throw them in the dryer for 5 or 10 minutes. I put them in a bag, oil them, and they are ready to go again.

As far as how often I change them, it depends on the track conditions. I always inspect it after every run and change as needed. For instance, yesterday I ran pre race practice then changed the filter before quals started. I ran all 3 of my quals, then changed it again before the main.
Old 11-15-2009, 11:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Racecrafter
As mentioned above;

Inspect your filters everytime you run.
The price and plentiful choices out there right now I no longer wash my filters. For the price to replace vs. my time and the cost of the products that clean them AND as mentioned you won't get everything out, It's not worth the chance to ruin your engine.
+1
http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...r-filters.html
Old 11-15-2009, 11:15 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I keep a baggie with 4-6 oiled filters with me and change to a fresh one after about an hr or so of running. It may be less if the conditions are dusty.
I clean mine, was also in motocross for a long time, used to doing those big filters. Soap and hot water with a touch of patience gets them clean. I let them sit overnite to dry and then reoil in a baggy that goes with me when I go out to run.
Old 11-15-2009, 11:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If im racing on a track i replace during the day, then when i clean the buggy i put the airfilters in a ziploc bag of water and soap and squish em' around untill there clean.
Old 11-15-2009, 11:52 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Like Brandon said earlier, Try out our Filter Cleaner....It works really well and it does not distort or expand the foam. It only takes minutes and It saves alot of filters over time.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:03 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Kalgard Racing
Like Brandon said earlier, Try out our Filter Cleaner....It works really well and it does not distort or expand the foam. It only takes minutes and It saves alot of filters over time.
+ another on the Kalgard filter cleaner! That stuff is amazing!
Old 11-15-2009, 02:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Shameless plug there JP my man!!!
Old 11-15-2009, 02:50 PM
Tech Adept

Fresh filter every race day. Unlike my undies, never wash & re-use, just toss'em.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.