Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8ight building and setup

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 10:32 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I just bought an 8ight buggy and really love the way this thing looks. I haven't started her up yet; because I stripped two of my clutch shoe screws (screws are very soft). Yes, I used a new hex driver. Should I buy the stock clutch shoe screws or are you guys using something else different from the stock screws?

Thanks in advance....
Old 12-30-2007, 10:47 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

OK. Sorry it wasn't last night. My center diff cup does have a few mm's of wear but this is after 13+ gallons. I'd say I got the hard plastic or something. Or maybe they've been like this since break-in and didn't get worse. IDK.
What do you guys think.
Attached Thumbnails Losi 8ight building and setup-losidiff001.jpg   Losi 8ight building and setup-losidiff003.jpg   Losi 8ight building and setup-losidiff007.jpg   Losi 8ight building and setup-losidiff009.jpg  
Old 12-30-2007, 11:12 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by air8
OK. Sorry it wasn't last night. My center diff cup does have a few mm's of wear but this is after 13+ gallons. I'd say I got the hard plastic or something. Or maybe they've been like this since break-in and didn't get worse. IDK.
What do you guys think.

13+ gallons...id say thats pretty darn good...not like buddy's claiming a page back...Psh..1 race day and the diffs are done.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:25 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Integra
13+ gallons...id say thats pretty darn good...not like buddy's claiming a page back...Psh..1 race day and the diffs are done.
I'm not trying to prove Rezenclowd wrong. I wanted to compare my pics to Zig Zag's pics. Cause those pics showed a diff that is done. I can the area that the cross pins are wearing on. I would benefit from putting new cups before this coming season. Cheap insurance too. I don't really have a maintenance schedule. I usually just change the diff fluid about once every 4 weekends, if I remember it. LOL. I'm pleased with the way this car holds up.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by M_Flores
I just bought an 8ight buggy and really love the way this thing looks. I haven't started her up yet; because I stripped two of my clutch shoe screws (screws are very soft). Yes, I used a new hex driver. Should I buy the stock clutch shoe screws or are you guys using something else different from the stock screws?

Thanks in advance....
if you take a file and round the front of the pin to slide into the hole on the back of the flywheel it will let the pins go in much easier
The Losi clutch is a pain to work on but it works great
Old 12-30-2007, 11:42 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by M_Flores

Thanks in advance....
Back when my car was a RTR, and I first tried clutch maintenance, those screws stripped out on me also. I had to throw the flywheel away from hacing on it so much trying to get the clutch shoe screws out. Now-a-days I use a small amount of loctite and I run the screws in until they just start to get tension. Then wipe off any extra loctite.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Or the great manual with the tuning aid in the back. IN FACT, THE RTR DOESN'T EVEN HAVE A MANUAL. JUST A FRIKKIN' START UP GUIDE. But, yes you guys have most of the major differences pinned down. I still look every now and then for a kit manual. My RTR became a full kit at the beginning of the summer 07' but I still don't have the manual. Ugh! But the 8-T manual filled in nicely, so why am I complaining. LOL.
air8 you are right the losi manual is one of the best guides i have encountered tons ofd info in the book. Now I can't remember which car the other tuning guide came from. but its awesome I think it can with the race roller
Old 12-30-2007, 12:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Integra
Mine has 8 1/2 gallons on it and looks about like those pix so I'm finally changing the entire center diff out. One race day and toast? Gimme a break...
Old 12-30-2007, 12:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by tdeal823
The Losi clutch is a pain to work on but it works great
What the hell are you talking about? This is the easiest clutch ever to work on.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:32 PM
Tech Initiate

What do you guys think.
Ok !

But in your diff you have shims !!!

In mine, not shims !

I think, this is a important différence !
Old 12-30-2007, 01:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Juzza--if you want to read some good info on droop. Go back one page to 193. There is a good discussion there.
That helped alot. Thanks air8. I see you guys are talking about diffs. I bought my 1st 8ight in feb 07 and i have raced it about every 2 weeks from then till now and i checked the diffs for the 1st time last week and they were still full of oil and nothing wrong with them. But i have gone thru about 6 clutchs.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:37 PM
Tech Adept

I know we discussed Proline M2 vs M3 inserts way back.

Could anyone give me a short and quick hint in where to use each one?

I remembered that the conclusion was that they were pretty much the same except that the M3 wore out faster, Is that still true?

Thanks in advance and Happy New Year...many, many races in 2008 and beyond.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:44 PM
Tech Adept

Just a thought, it would be nice if someone would post a comparison chart between ProLine, Panther, GRP and Team Cobra on the Losi 8b with different type of soils. I have never seen an updated one.

By Losi 8B, I am almost sure that the tires although they are made for buggies, they respond a little different on this particular car.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:45 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by zigzag84
Ok !

But in your diff you have shims !!!

In mine, not shims !

I think, this is a important différence !
Oh ok. I thought you just didn't put them back in after cleaning the oil out. Those shims in my pics have been there since day one. I haven't added or removed anything. I wonder why they wouldn't be included, like the workers overlooked this one or something.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:48 PM
Tech Adept

Air8, what shims are you talking about in the diff.? I don't see any

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.