Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree34Likes

Schumacher Mi5

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 07:19 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Made a couple more small changes to my car today, and one HUGE re-do of my electronics layout. I decided to put the car on a diet, and run a shorty... With this current setup, it becomes much easier to get the car down to bare minimum weight, AND corner balance the car. I am balanced L/R on both ends of the car within 5 grams. After some small final touches on the tweak station, the car was just flawless. The car was 100% predictable in all regards... straight line acceleration, braking, onpower and offpower cornering, you name it. TQ and win in 17.5, qualifying just 6 seconds slower overall than the man himself, Brett Sisley, in open mod. I think I ran a 22 5:08, and Mod TQ was 22 5:02... something like that.

One small change i made that really did well, was I switched to the blue x-rings from traxxas in my shocks, and ditched the stockies... and the leaking is gone.

Still have lots of play in the front end, didn't have time to dial some of that out, but the car was unstoppable.

New layout

Pit spot shot as usual
Old 07-07-2013, 07:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snuvet75
Basic asphalt set up in the manual gives lots of steering in indoor asphalt track but severe traction roll too. The car is very very flexible in chassis(you can actually see the car rolling left and right on the track) and it seems that it will do great in outdoor asphalt where traction is low to medium.
The carbon arms seemingely can be a big problem with the preinstalled ball links. It already poped out twice in moderate crash and the aluminum bolts in front were gone if you know what I'm talking about.
the steering rack is very smooth but can dislocate easily in crash.
Overall I love how soft the chassis is but I don't like some parts that can be dislocated too easily. I seem to have to buy a upper deck stiffner to run this in high traction track and I don't like the fact that I spend money on it though not much. It should be included in the kit given that the car is very flexible.
Change your setup. The kit setups are not good for high grip asphalt. Use Martin Hofer's Base Setup. It has been posted here several times.

I ran today on an extremely high grip carpet track with no traction rolling issues at all.

The steering rack beds in and loosens up the first few runs. Tighten it up each run for the first few race days. I have 3 race days on mine and now its worn in and stable.

If the allow front screws are breaking you are crashing and they are doing what they are supposed to do...saving your chassis.

If a pivot assembly comes out of the arm one drop of CA will fix it permanently.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:18 AM
Tech Regular

New layout[/B]

Pit spot shot as usual
[/QUOTE]

What the access to the motor and pinion like ? I have shorty lipos waiting to be fitted but worried about access. Used to love running the old cxl with a shorty in 17.5 Blinky.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:34 AM
Tech Initiate

yes its looking nice and at good price and i think all stuff related to RC lovers are here and i am also thinking to do a order in coming days.......
Old 07-08-2013, 01:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by weekendracer_uk

What the access to the motor and pinion like ? I have shorty lipos waiting to be fitted but worried about access. Used to love running the old cxl with a shorty in 17.5 Blinky.
I have pretty much the same layout - I have to remove my ESC (Viper vtx10be) to get the ball driver on the right angle.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:10 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by silvalis
I have pretty much the same layout - I have to remove my ESC (Viper vtx10be) to get the ball driver on the right angle.
I have the same layout. I moved my ESC farther towards the back to get better access to the motor mount and pinion gear.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:28 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
Made a couple more small changes to my car today, and one HUGE re-do of my electronics layout. I decided to put the car on a diet, and run a shorty... With this current setup, it becomes much easier to get the car down to bare minimum weight, AND corner balance the car. I am balanced L/R on both ends of the car within 5 grams. After some small final touches on the tweak station, the car was just flawless. The car was 100% predictable in all regards... straight line acceleration, braking, onpower and offpower cornering, you name it. TQ and win in 17.5, qualifying just 6 seconds slower overall than the man himself, Brett Sisley, in open mod. I think I ran a 22 5:08, and Mod TQ was 22 5:02... something like that.

One small change i made that really did well, was I switched to the blue x-rings from traxxas in my shocks, and ditched the stockies... and the leaking is gone.

Still have lots of play in the front end, didn't have time to dial some of that out, but the car was unstoppable.

New layout

Pit spot shot as usual
Brandon, if you see skypilot, would you ask him to give me a call? Thank you,
Rich
Old 07-08-2013, 08:11 AM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gdcopbdcop
Rich
they don't see or talk to each other..I will let skypilot know to give you a call...Damit I left my cell phone at home...
Old 07-08-2013, 08:50 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by weekendracer_uk
Access to the pinion is ok (you can get it on and off through the top deck with some needle nose pliers), but the motor mount screws... not so much. I simply have to pop the ESC tape to get the wrench to the lower motor mount screw... then tape it back down. At first I thought it was going to be a real hassle, but it ended up being not that big of a deal. I made one pinion change at the track yesterday, and it was no headache.

Rich
Will do

Originally Posted by OVA
they don't see or talk to each other..I will let skypilot know to give you a call...Damit I left my cell phone at home...
I see Ritchie every time he shows up to FW... and we usually chat it up for a few minutes.

Last edited by Cpt.America; 07-08-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:17 AM
Tech Addict

Access to the pinion is ok (you can get it on and off through the top deck with some needle nose pliers), but the motor mount screws... not so much. I simply have to pop the ESC tape to get the wrench to the lower motor mount screw... then tape it back down. At first I thought it was going to be a real hassle, but it ended up being not that big of a deal. I made one pinion change at the track yesterday, and it was no headache.

Will do

I see Ritchie every time he shows up to FW... and we usually chat it up for a few minutes.
Thanks, both of you,
Old 07-08-2013, 12:33 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Howdy_beecha
Hanulec came to race today the awesomatix was fast but my Schumie was faster. To bad he couldn't stick around for the Mains.
Hi Adam... I had a lot of fun yesterday at St Catherine. Still shocked at how much of a difference tires make..And how the track came in round after round. You definetly had my # on consistency, but i got you on hot lap.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DiscountRCStore
We were told that these are actually built in house at the Schumacher facility in the UK. They generally put the box setup on it ( I believe asphalt ) .. sometimes when the pre assembled cars are out of stock at Schumacher, one of us here in the shop will put one together and then give the customer their option on what setup its built with... hope it helps. .
That's good to hear. My kit arrived today! I'll be installing the electronics tonight with the hopes of hitting the track for a shakedown run this week. I'll be doing a comparison test with my Awesomatix car to see how it compares in terms of ease of tuning, driving, and lap times.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:16 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Pit spot shot as usual

i love seeing pit areas like this.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:41 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Thanks, both of you,
I text him..
Old 07-08-2013, 02:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

John.C, in my opinion my Mi5 seems to have way more steering than my Awesomatix had. The car seems to have a boat load of mechanical grip, which for parking lot racing never hurts. The true test will be on high bite carpet I hope the car doesn't have traction roll issues...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.