Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bump box

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 02:40 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BlockHed
They guys at the lhs are pretty good, but if I'm buying it used I'm not sure of they'd be as helpful. I'm probably going to run a nimh first, then upgrade to the lipo when I'm ready to spend the extra money. My motor is a pullstart and the other is used, they are both broke in and aren't difficult to turn over. If I run a starter box without a lipo will it be sufficient?

Also anyone have any experience with the one suggested by nitro?
Yes. BTW, I haven't used this box, just stumbled on it.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:44 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've never burnt out a box yet, nor seen it happen. They are talking about ideal - you don't have to rebuild it.

And anyone would think you have to have a big fat LiPo now. You can still start cars with a 12V car battery like we used to years ago, and for the noob a free car battery and a secondhand quality startbox is probably better than a new box and big $$$ LiPo, then he can spend some of the $$$ on other things
Old 02-12-2012, 02:46 PM
Tech Regular

I'm going to get the OFNA truggy box here in a few weeks. Was wondering what I need to power it with a full size 12V car battery.

Maybe just some alligator clips? Any wiring to be done?
Old 02-12-2012, 03:55 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mark _australia
I've never burnt out a box yet, nor seen it happen. They are talking about ideal - you don't have to rebuild it.

And anyone would think you have to have a big fat LiPo now. You can still start cars with a 12V car battery like we used to years ago, and for the noob a free car battery and a secondhand quality startbox is probably better than a new box and big $$$ LiPo, then he can spend some of the $$$ on other things
I think this is the route I'm going to go. I saw one with a 12 v battery and a charger or I'll pair a pair of nimhs, it will be more cost efficient then buying lipos, chargers, etc and having them soldered. With this box it's always an option for the future if I decide to.

Thanks for all the input, it's all helpful as I'm still learning. If anyone has more info/insight it is appreciated

Thanks
Old 02-13-2012, 01:37 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Square Wheels
I'm going to get the OFNA truggy box here in a few weeks. Was wondering what I need to power it with a full size 12V car battery.

Maybe just some alligator clips? Any wiring to be done?
It should have a standard Tamiya plug to run old school stick packs. So all you need is a Tamiya plug and some wire and 2 alligator clips. That is how I have done mine.
It will start anything....... but if you need that little bit more for a new motor, just for the first few starts you can run off the battery in your real car whilst it is running and you'll have 14V instead of 12V.

Car batteries that are no good for a car are pelnty good enough for RC use and free

BTW, if you can park close to pits at your track, just run jumper cables from your real car and clip them on to the edge of your table / bench, then clip the starter box leads to them and you get another 15ft
Old 02-13-2012, 03:17 AM
Tech Adept

Does it come with the connectors to twin 2 batteries or do I need to pick them up? Where do I get them/ what am I looking for and is there a certain way to do it (sequence) or is it just charge, plug and play?
Old 02-13-2012, 04:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

looks like the go is the ofna box I have 2 only reason is the contact point where metals touch had started to wear away but with a washer there its given it a bit more life hopefully one more race season, I run 12v 9amp gel cell batteries they do the trick
cheers
Old 02-13-2012, 04:18 AM
Tech Adept

If you want to run two 7.2V stick packs you will need a Tamiya plug "Y-harness" to plug 2 batt's into one plug

Any LHS that does not know what you are talking about or does not have them in stock should be shut down cos it has been very common for many years..... and it will cos maybe $5 - $10

But I still say get a free car battery and make up leads with alligator clips, will cost $5 to make leads up and a car battery will last 2 seasons of starting. You can charge it off your Swallow etc that you use for the Rx hump pack
Old 02-13-2012, 05:50 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

You can't go wrong with the blue Ofna starter box + 4S LiPo + good connectors.

Avoid trying to start your engine when it is flooded or more than 5 seconds at the time.

I had one for many years now and I can't be happier
Old 02-13-2012, 06:08 AM
Tech Adept

Can someone send a link to a 12v battery or do I just use an actual car battery?

Also what would u recommend for a 7.2v nimh?

I'm def going with the ofna box, now deciding on a power source
Old 02-13-2012, 06:14 AM
Tech Adept

Any car battery that will hold some charge. Something off a 4cyl Jap car that is not quite enough to start reliably in winter will be thrown out and a charge from a Swallow etc will have it plenty good enough.
But if you can find one from a large 4WD, even better.
If you go to any mechanic and explain what it is for they will have one that they replaced only to save the owner possible heartache but it is still 90% good enough for a car (so plenty for ur starter box)

Mehcanics pay money to get rid of batteries and are more than happy for you to take one (or four!)
Old 02-13-2012, 11:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GSMike
I like the OFNA blue truggy box but I must have got the one lemon because it's a POS that has given me nothing but problems. I've rebuilt the entire thing yet it still has issues. I'm not trying to dissuade you from the blue OFNA, just venting my frustration that I have incessant issues with the "best" starter box out there.
I'm waiting for my new box to come in and can't race until it gets here.
Hey Mike Pm me and let me know what the hecks wrong with your unit and maybe I can sort it out for you, to have the best box in the business go sour is not something I want to see. So lets get that thing in proper order.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitroexpress
Brand X might be worth a try. It's got twin 775 motors. Probably a copy of the OFNA. $37

http://www.hobbypartz.com/72p-b7060-...tarterbox.html
I had a friend buy one of those thinking it was going to overtake our box, but two months later it was done and he did'nt race or practice with it that much so now he's begging for the Truggy start and we are sold out as of now in our wharehouse. So he's got to wait a little to get one, I told him get it while you can because they fly out of the wharehouse quick. And what happens GONE!.

Buy the way I use a 2200 Hobbyking 4s 20c on mine and the only connector I have changed is the Tamiya plug no others, by the way I have to get a new wheel, those sell fast also.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:00 PM
Tech Adept

I have no idea what the first paragraph means??
Old 02-13-2012, 09:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 137 (100%+)

I have owned the Blue Ofna bump box for over a year now. I was worried I paid too much when I bought it for $50 with two new Dynamite 3300nimh packs. Best investment I have made for a starter!!!! I have had no issues with it. I use it for both my buggy and my truggy.

I have also used the red rtr losi box.......its ok. The Ofna has spoiled me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.