Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
experts help pls. Very confused revo,savage,mgt or others? >

experts help pls. Very confused revo,savage,mgt or others?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

experts help pls. Very confused revo,savage,mgt or others?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 08:38 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default experts help pls. Very confused revo,savage,mgt or others?

I know its probably been talked to death, but i need advise please.. I am very confused and need all your help. Please consider that i am total newB in this. This is going to be my first week with ANY rc car.. period. Considering that what truck should i get? :
1) im a total newB
2) it should easy to work on if need be
3) fun factor - i dont care about super high speed. I just need to bash in local pack and bmx tracks (so very durable) and run some in local parking lot.
4) again considering i am new, it should be fairly easy to handle. I cant afford to break parts that much every single time i try to run.
5) Fuel effieciency.. I dont really care about spending few extra bucks if its worth it. But if one of those is TOTAL gas guzzler, then it should be TOTALLY worth it. (thinking mgt8.0 here)
6) Documentation, web support, local support, included user manual, warrenty support ..etc..
7) Needs to have reverse.. OR should be VERY easy to add reverse module that works absolutely flawlessly.
8) easy to tune
Thanks a lot for your time and help.. I just dont want to get tooooo flashy and just get frustrated. But at the same time, i want to get something to bash, some fun race in parking lot and to wow my friends..
I am thinking between : 1) revo3.3 2)mgt8 3)mgt4.6 4)Savage x4.6 ,,, (also hear new savage is coming out?) .. till now the best feedback for great basher and also racer i got was for revo3.3
Old 12-19-2007, 09:25 PM
Tech Regular

I would go the Revo hands down! very reliable, easy to tune, very popular MT with good parts support, lot's of hop-up parts available and comes standard with reverse and a 3 channel radio set
Old 12-19-2007, 09:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

REVO fits all of your requirments
Old 12-19-2007, 10:02 PM
Tech Legend

out of the box form, the MGT win`s !

#2 the easiest to service

#3 Not just fun, the Mgt is "really fun" to drive & it is really fast too !

#4 MGT is tuff & a very strong design, improved bumper`s.

#5 MGT get 12 to 14 minutes of run time, that`s longer than most ...

#6 You have RC10.COM ,R/cTech & RC10B4.com & me for web support..

#7 MGT has reverse and it performs great ...

#8 MGT 80 has a new design carb for easy tune & holds it tune longer

The Ae MGT 80 is a beast !

Size does matter....
Old 12-19-2007, 10:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 147 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
out of the box form, the MGT win`s !

#2 the easiest to service

#3 Not just fun, the Mgt is "really fun" to drive & it is really fast too !

#4 MGT is tuff & a very strong design, improved bumper`s.

#5 MGT get 12 to 14 minutes of run time, that`s longer than most ...

#6 You have RC10.COM ,R/cTech & RC10B4.com & me for web support..

#7 MGT has reverse and it performs great ...

#8 MGT 80 has a new design carb for easy tune & holds it tune longer

The Ae MGT 80 is a beast !

Size does matter....
+1 on mgt #1 but the mgt 8.0 that motor gonna rock, Santa Clause I want one................

losi LST 2 is cool also..............
Old 12-19-2007, 10:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Revo 3.3 and put some RPM suspension arms on it and you got a tank that goes fast with reverse gearing as well.

I got one and its a great truck to have.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:09 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Revo hands down.
1.)I've owned them all and the Savage is something to stay away from in my opinion. I might get bashed for this but I hated working on them and I've owned 6 of them. But, but they are a friggin tank, very very strong.
2.)The MGT 4.6 ahhhhhh yes my first truck. It's huge, fun, fast, fairly easy to work on. But I broke it my second day. I was going about 1/2 speed and snapped the left front a-arms, and then the right rears on a fence post. It might have been my fault but I still feel that It shouldn't have broken. After I replaced it with a full set of RPM arms and new tie-rods, and new aluminum diff cases (the one really big design flaw is the aluminum suspension holders on the plastic diff cases, not such a good idea. The suspension holders also bent very easily)
3.)The Revo was by far my favorite Monster truck. It was super fast and being a savage guy at the time I didn't expect much in the way of durability, but let me tell you what.... wow. The thing took some hits that made me cringe and kept on going. The only thing I ever broke was one of the wheels after 4 hours of non-stop bashing without checking the nuts on the wheels. But fair warning the 3.3s are hit and miss and don't hold a tune very well. At the time I had limited resources and put my Hyper .21 in it and it ran great! A ton of wheelies! But I wanted to race so I took that out and put in a O.S. .18 TM which made as much if not more power than the 3.3. Some people will say the Revo is hard to work on and it's true that it requires some patience. But once you get it apart once you'll learn on the tricks on quick disassembly.

Thanks for reading through my .02

-Gary
Old 12-20-2007, 07:58 AM
Tech Elite

I have the Revo, MGT, and the TMaxx.

A plain all over basher that is retarded strong and built like a tank. The MGT

My Revo is a great racer and is a bullet on the street. I just like how easy and basic the MGT is in comparison to the Revo. The ease of working on the MGT in comparison to the REVO in my opinion is no contest. My Revo is my racing workhorse.

MGT +3
Old 12-20-2007, 09:29 AM
Tech Adept

As you say, it depends what you want to do with the truck after a few runs.

If your intention is to run it on the street and bash with it then any one of those monster truck will do the trick. I disagree with the above opinion about the Savage, I think it is a strong truck, as well as the AE, the Revo is probably the weakest.

On the other hand, if you want to race later on, then get a Revo, because it is the fastest and agile of the group. You will have to spend some important cash on upgrades and also learn how to work on the truck.

Another consideration that you should keep in mind is the the parts available at the LHS and knowhow to help you out when need it.

Welcome to the hobby
Old 12-20-2007, 10:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

I say get a used Sportwerks Mayhem truggy. It's far more durable than any MT and easier to work on. Parts are readily available through any shop that buys from Horizon. And ebay has lots of cheap parts also.