Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Looking for the best clutchbell bearings, bar none! >

Looking for the best clutchbell bearings, bar none!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Looking for the best clutchbell bearings, bar none!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 04:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Acer bearings lasted about 2 gallons before dirt got them. Which is very nice.
Now I use ABEC 3 ceramic bearings from one HK store (abec35). Been using their ABEC 3 and 5 ceramic, steel and stainless bearing for couple years and never had eny issues with them. And standard steel are way under 1$ depending on size.
Ceramic for clutch are about $3.80 per piece
Old 01-13-2009, 05:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

I use the Protechs. I change them between the heats and the mains, and run the ones I have in there the following week in the heats. They are $1 a piece, so I always start the mains with a new set. I have not had a breakdown in a heat or a main yet.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

I`ve been using Avid Revolutions for years and they last at least as long as the shoes do . I just change them when I change shoes just to keep fresh ones in there . I agree , bearings are not the problem , look at the engine , flex , shimming and if your meshed square to the spur .
Old 01-13-2009, 06:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sickboy
I use $1 Avid bearings and they last me about a gallon.
I can't say for clutch bells however I've used them pretty much anywhere a bearing can go and I'm really happy with them.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:50 AM
Tech Addict

Cheap bearings from walawala off ebay degreased and oiled with acer sin lube works ok for me, when i de burr the shoes i add a drop of oil to re-lube the bearings, a dry bearing will be gone in no time
Old 01-13-2009, 08:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Try ReadyRollers.com

Ive been using these for the past year and have been very happy. The rubber shielded ones are green just like another brand known for quality. These are not your typical $1 bearings.

When talking to Jerome the owner of Ready Rollers he has told me there are many different quality bearings available from his supplier he buys the higher quality ones and some of the competition doesnt. Give them a try if nothing else the price is right.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey JBlaze. How did those Avid bearings you got from me work last sunday. You ran all day and finished the Main. Did you have a problem with them I did not see? I use the Avid Bearings now and like them alot.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I just bought 4 Avid Revolution bearings for my clutch on my buggy, If your ordering there item of the week or what ever as long as its under 40 dollars its shipped for 2.79 so i got four bearings and a sticker sheet for like 7 bucks with shipping, i would have paid that much for 3 crappy bearings at my hobbytown and it wouldnt have come with the best thing ever! STICKERS!!!
Old 01-13-2009, 11:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

You be very surprised to find out that there are very few actual bearing manufactures.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:44 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs up ACER Racing ceramic clutch bearings

Hi guys, the problem with the 5x10x4mm clutch bearings that are used in most clutches is that they are way too small to handle the high heat and stress of todays powerful engines. Thankfully some companies like XRay have responded by making larger 5x12mm bearings that can better handle this stress. Others like Losi have creatively made a 5x13mm inner bearing and a 5x10mm outer to relieve a lot of the stress on the bearings.

What ACER Racing has done in our 5x10mm clutch bearings is change the internal tolerances of the bearing race and cage, add our Ceramic Nitride Pro Series balls inside, then we use our SIN synthetic grease (not oil) to keep the bearing really cool. You cannot use oil in a 5x10mm clutch bearing as it can't cool down the clucth bearing well enough. All our other ceramic bearings are lightly oiled but clutch bearings must be greased.

Try our 5x10mm ceramic clutch bearings, they are backed by world and national championships and are the best money can buy for all you hardcore racers. They are $7.99 each with FREE airmail worldwide (no minimums!)

We also make the 5x12mm and 5x13mm clutch bearings for XRAY and Losi racers.

ACER Racing
Old 01-13-2009, 04:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

AVID also makes 5x12 bearings
Old 01-13-2009, 04:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

avid
Old 01-13-2009, 07:31 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by acerracing
Hi guys, the problem with the 5x10x4mm clutch bearings that are used in most clutches is that they are way too small to handle the high heat and stress of todays powerful engines. Thankfully some companies like XRay have responded by making larger 5x12mm bearings that can better handle this stress. Others like Losi have creatively made a 5x13mm inner bearing and a 5x10mm outer to relieve a lot of the stress on the bearings.

What ACER Racing has done in our 5x10mm clutch bearings is change the internal tolerances of the bearing race and cage, add our Ceramic Nitride Pro Series balls inside, then we use our SIN synthetic grease (not oil) to keep the bearing really cool. You cannot use oil in a 5x10mm clutch bearing as it can't cool down the clucth bearing well enough. All our other ceramic bearings are lightly oiled but clutch bearings must be greased.

Try our 5x10mm ceramic clutch bearings, they are backed by world and national championships and are the best money can buy for all you hardcore racers. They are $7.99 each with FREE airmail worldwide (no minimums!)

We also make the 5x12mm and 5x13mm clutch bearings for XRAY and Losi racers.

ACER Racing
I personally have had consistent results with Acer. Be sure you buy the ones that say CLUTCH BELL USE. I can't even remember the last time I replaced one before I had problems due to my engine bearings going out. If you know you have everything shimmed and lined up the same as like when you had better luck with bearings check out your engine bearings. When they start to get bad you will not be able to run more than a couple of tanks without destroying clutch bell bearings. I found that out the hard way by completely destroying 3 sets of Acer bearings that had always lasted as long as I wanted them to. I just didn't know what I was doing!

Also, the Boca Yellow Seal ceramics come recommended and I have a couple to try because I was confused about the sudden problem with my Acers. And I hear that the special clutch bearings from TKO are highly recommended as well and a 10 pack gets you in under $3 a bearing if I remember correctly.

Boca Yellow Seal Ceramic, Acer Ceramic special clutch use, TKO clutch bearings, or Avid based on my experience and what I've paid attention to over the last year here

Also, remember some of them have oil in them and need to be blown out and greased if you want them to last. It says so right on the Avid web site.

Check out that engine too if all of your problems are recent.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:29 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by sickboy
You have other problems if you are going through bearings that fast. It has to be a bent crank,
Originally Posted by vladconnery
Honestly this was the best answer to your problem. It's not the bearings you have another problem somewhere.
Originally Posted by bjr48
I had problems due to my engine bearings going out.
Just to add to above on the possible causes of clutchbell bearings failure.

Almost had my full head of hair pulled out when bearings after bearings kept failing within 1 tank. Culprit - worn engine's pilot shaft where the bearings sit causing too much play even with brand new bearings. I might have ran my 3 reputable engines for far too long as all caused the same bearings smashing problem when play was noticed. The problem goes away after the worn shaft was sawn off and a new pilot shaft with attached flywheel nut(those meant for engine without pilot shaft) was used.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:59 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by acerracing
, then we use our SIN synthetic grease (not oil) to keep the bearing really cool. You cannot use oil in a 5x10mm clutch bearing as it can't cool down the clucth bearing well enough. All our other ceramic bearings are lightly oiled but clutch bearings must be greased.
can you confirm the ACER SIN lube is different to the SIN grease, i have had a quick look on the Acer site and cannot find this grease ? i have to admit i use SIN lube for my clutch bearings and re lube them when de-burring the shoes they last ok like this with cheap bearings and boy does the clutch spin well

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.