Old 07-07-2008, 05:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

in stock here...

http://www.rccompound.com/ProductDet...tCode=MUGE0040
Old 07-07-2008, 05:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Well I can say this much I've eliminated the RC8 as a viable choice. It's Down to the Mugen and Losi now. What ever happened to the Kyosho did the fall off that bad. I was looking at one they had won like 8 world championships or something like that. Not one person has made an argument about them. Not even in the other best buggy threads. I do like the Xray 808 but geesh thats alot of money.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:23 PM
Tech Elite

losi is a real handful for a new driver...
Old 07-07-2008, 05:29 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

I've owned a Mugen, a Losi, and now a Jammin. My favorite of the 3 is the Jammin, but the Mugen is a touch more durable. I haven't owned an RC8.

The Mugen is (IMHO) the best beginner car made. Very stable and forgiving. It doesn't turn quite as well as the Jammin.

The Jammin is almost as stable and forgiving as the Mugen, but turns better and is more "athletic." Parts wear a little faster.

The Losi is a handful. VERY fast, VERY nimble, but those qualities make it hard to handle. You'll FEEL faster with the Losi, and in fact might turn your fastest lap with one... but you'll also make more mistakes and turn your slowest lap with one.

You'll be more consistant with either the Jammin or the Mugen.

I went from the Mugen to the Losi because I wanted something that turned better. I went from the Losi to the Jammin because I wanted a car that was more stable and I didn't have to work on all the time.

The Kyosho and Jammin are VERY similar cars, and the Kyosho is a little better on the quality/parts wear perspective. I use Kyosho CVDs and Spur Gears on my car. The Kyosho however is not QUITE as stable... and is a lot more expensive!

ANY of those are great cars (Mugen, Losi, RC8) and the ones we mentioned (Jammin and Kyosho) are also great. However... both the Losi and RC8 are a bit of a handful for beginners, and also require more maint.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:32 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Nothing wrong with the kyosho, I own and race one, I just believe the Mugen is easier to drive, I chose the Kyosho because mugen parts are non existant at my track or else I would have the mugen. The kyosho has allot of steering and I am still trying to get it dial in, when I first got it it was a handfull itself.

And like domit mentioned while I was writing this, the kyosho is quite expensive.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

I have just been through some testing with all three of the buggies you are considering and my findings are that the mugen is just the right car for me. It is by far the easiest to drive. The other cars I drove seemed to be just a little to nervous. The mugen is very user friendly, it is one of the few cars that can be built to the kit setup and still be very smooth and drivable. The mugen wont disappoint.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:03 PM
Tech Elite

my mugen has fantastic steering, its all in the setup
Old 07-07-2008, 06:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by imaxx21
losi is a real handful for a new driver...
The Losi just needs a good solid day of track time to get used to. With the easy to drive setup...
Old 07-08-2008, 07:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by allan42r
the jammin will cost you way more to keep on the track then the mugen.
Dunno what you're talkin about....i've been running my Jammin for two years now, and NEVER ONCE have i had to replace anything on it. I'm not a very good driver either and i can't tell you how many times i've sent it tumbling 60ft at 40mph.....All of the parts are still tight too, i haven't noticed any wear, and i've got probably 7 or 8 gallons on the car. Actually, i take that back...i did have to replace ONE part on it ONCE. I was haulin down a backstraight and someone jumped into my path from another part of the track and we hit each other almost full speed head on and i broke the carbon fiber steering plate (didn't even notice it till i got the buggy home and started to take it apart to clean it up).
Old 07-08-2008, 08:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by AssocRacer
Dunno what you're talkin about....i've been running my Jammin for two years now, and NEVER ONCE have i had to replace anything on it. I'm not a very good driver either and i can't tell you how many times i've sent it tumbling 60ft at 40mph.....All of the parts are still tight too, i haven't noticed any wear, and i've got probably 7 or 8 gallons on the car. Actually, i take that back...i did have to replace ONE part on it ONCE. I was haulin down a backstraight and someone jumped into my path from another part of the track and we hit each other almost full speed head on and i broke the carbon fiber steering plate (didn't even notice it till i got the buggy home and started to take it apart to clean it up).
Well thats why, you barely use it. I've put 9 gallons on my 8ight since april.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:22 AM
Tech Elite

You're the ONLY person i've ever heard mention of durability problems with it. Everyone i know who's had one has NEVER had problems with it. And at nearly $150 less then the Mugen new....that's kinda a no brainer....and it actually scored higher then the Mugen when tested. I'm not knockin the Mugen, but it is one of the more expensive buggies on the market, and usually when you're a newbee you don't want to go out and drop that kind of cash on a buggy, especially when you're not entirely sure you're gonna like it cause we all know that you pay $700 for a buggy and you'll be lucky to get $400 when you try to sell it.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:24 AM
Tech Elite

and I'd say that 9 gallons since april is ALOT more usage then most. I race every week and all the major races here and i don't go thru that much gas....maybe 4-5 gallons a summer max, and i race just as much as every one else here does.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

and I'd say that 9 gallons since april is ALOT more usage then most. I race every week and all the major races here and i don't go thru that much gas....maybe 4-5 gallons a summer max, and i race just as much as every one else here does.
Your right, 9 is a lot. What can I say, I was excited to get my Losi this year

My point was that you don't have a lot of fuel on your jammin so it isn't a great example.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:28 AM
Tech Elite

you cant rebuild the universals on the jammin = $44.00
the metal used by ofna like in the diff gears wear fast. i had to replace all of the gears and i only ran the car for 1 year. the mugen im running has a year and a half on it and the diffs still look like new.
the plastic ( a arms ) wear and bow out.
i liked my jammin car as long as the diffs were fresh but the car got sloppy quick and i needed more steering.
the fact that you hit something has nothing to do with m/r and keeping the car race ready, all cars break. the mugen will last longer and cost you less to keep running.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:18 AM
Tech Elite

I dunno, i haven't put any money into this car since i bought it and i'm pretty rough on it. I take the diffs apart and clean them up every other race day and make sure all of the bearings are working properly, and i use a little WD40 on the universals. It's like a real car, gotta maintain it. If you consider $5 for a can of WD40 and about $20 worth of diff fluid expensive to maintian, then i guess you're right. Only problem i've had is the POS OS VG engine that i wish i would have never bought. OS has really gone down the tubes since they discontinued the RG and the CV series motors.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.