Wiki Posts
Search

cooling heads

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 09:29 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default cooling heads

anyone use Nova Race Pro Cooling Heads? They say they cool the engine up to 40% better!!!! But do they work?
Attached Thumbnails cooling heads-wp5d1f0137.jpg  
Old 03-05-2009, 11:51 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

Originally Posted by r1nsho
anyone use Nova Race Pro Cooling Heads? They say they cool the engine up to 40% better!!!! But do they work?
I used those for the OFNA RTR engine, and its noticeably cooler that the stock head( it was sold and it makes me turn the engine leaner until it broke the conrod). bling factor, cooling factor is great, but its always good to have the STOCK cooling head since its a part of the design of a specific engine. I guess.
and yet you don't want your engine that cold.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by doubletap
I used those for the OFNA RTR engine, and its noticeably cooler that the stock head( it was sold and it makes me turn the engine leaner until it broke the conrod). bling factor, cooling factor is great, but its always good to have the STOCK cooling head since its a part of the design of a specific engine. I guess.
tisk tisk haha ... now your like me
Old 03-05-2009, 05:41 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I got tired of seeing my 2.5Tmaxx running 290-295F here in the summer when its 95F outside - this is with good smoke, it just run hot. I put a Nov2 head on and temps dropped to 250-255F. Don't think that's 40%, but it is 40F. Nova makes a real nice looking head.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:27 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by r1nsho

Not sure where your running at but here in the South..Louisiana/Mississippi when it's 95 or 100deg and heat index is 110 w/o wind there is a definate need for them. I have seen other racers use them with good results.

If you do run a large cooling head be sure not to lean it out too much
Old 03-06-2009, 06:39 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by doubletap
you say you dont want to run the engine that cool, but cant you lean it out more and still run at 210 250 ish? it should still have plenty of lubricant because its not hot enough to burn it all off? just my thoughts. if im wrong let me know. im still pretty new at this.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:53 PM
Tech Adept

200 deg is perfect 250 for me is high
Old 03-07-2009, 03:10 PM
Tech Addict

A lot of guys dont tune to temp anymore that the old school way. But you dont want you mill to get so hot that it burn off all the oil and yes Riverdriver in the south where were both from it does get very hot in the summer and the heads do help.
Old 03-07-2009, 03:14 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

+1...Its all about the smoke, and the performance..but we do still check temps..its a real good way to assure your tune is good..It has nothing to do with how you tune, but it will tell you if you are off tune to a certain degree, and if you need any aftermarket cooling head..you are doing something wrong
Old 03-07-2009, 03:19 PM
Tech Addict

That is very true I run all my mills with stock heads and never have a prob.

Originally Posted by Jaz240
+1...Its all about the smoke, and the performance..but we do still check temps..its a real good way to assure your tune is good..It has nothing to do with how you tune, but it will tell you if you are off tune to a certain degree, and if you need any aftermarket cooling head..you are doing something wrong
Old 03-07-2009, 09:37 PM
Tech Adept

Absolutely, I tune for performance with plenty of smoke but always religously keep a temp gun in the pits!