Search
Like Tree14Likes

Tamiya 1/12 R/C RM-01 "Racing Master"

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 12:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by inpuressa
will the tire tape hold, or do I have to use a chemical adhesive dip like the old school days?
I've been using the tire tape, with a little ca on the edges, between the rim and tire.
No issues.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by YR4Dude
Watching your car at the Tamiya track reminds me of the old days of running pan car at the Ranch Pit Shop.

Thats absolutely classic. Which one and what SPF rating was it?
I mooched the sunscreen from Tom K, a local racer. The lotion dried quickly and had a nice tacky feel to it, not slimy at all. The brand is called "No-Ad" because the don't adverstise lol and I believe the SPF is 30. Not sure on SPF, maybe Tom or DB could chime in.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:23 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by rtypec
I mooched the sunscreen from Tom K, a local racer. The lotion dried quickly and had a nice tacky feel to it, not slimy at all. The brand is called "No-Ad" because the don't adverstise lol and I believe the SPF is 30. Not sure on SPF, maybe Tom or DB could chime in.
SPF 30 was always the go, preferably with some lanolin.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:41 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by rtypec
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
SPF 30 was always the go, preferably with some lanolin.
Oh dang, that's right we get to run on foams again with the 12th scale. Yeh man!(not just carpet I mean.)
Old 02-24-2012, 09:34 PM
Tech Master

Hey Dave, what front springs did you start off with?
Old 02-25-2012, 07:48 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by cementsurfer86
Hey Dave, what front springs did you start off with?
Gold
Old 02-25-2012, 04:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

well, it's done. coming back into 1/12 after my 12L4 with nimh days.

Don't know how the foam tires are manufactured, but the fronts are pretty off. The outside part cones outward Was anyone else like this? hopefully, they will wear down after some laps.

The alum rear pod parts are on my to-do list. That plastic motor mount is pretty flimsy. Wished they at least made that part from the CF reinforced plastic. But hey, this is Tamiya we are talking about. Start to reach for your wallet
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya 1/12 R/C RM-01 "Racing Master"-rm01.jpg  
Old 02-25-2012, 10:05 PM
Tech Champion

Thumbs up

Nice build Impuressa, have fun !

You will find that the front tires wear quickly.
I recommend the Option front tires, as they last much longer, with similar grip.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:48 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
Nice build Impuressa, have fun !

You will find that the front tires wear quickly.
I recommend the Option front tires, as they last much longer, with similar grip.
you weren't kidding when you said they wear fast We run on sugar water asphalt.

The tires look like modern fronts after only 4 heats of 8min races. Can't raise the chassis any higher. My car pushes crazy after the sauce wears off. The rear is super planted though. Hopefully the high grip tires last longer than a day. You said standard fronts won't work right?
Old 02-27-2012, 12:57 PM
Tech Champion

you weren't kidding when you said they wear fast We run on sugar water asphalt.

The tires look like modern fronts after only 4 heats of 8min races. Can't raise the chassis any higher. My car pushes crazy after the sauce wears off. The rear is super planted though. Hopefully the high grip tires last longer than a day. You said standard fronts won't work right?
As in standard non Tamiya fronts, correct, they will not work.
The Front Track on the RM-01 is 160mm, with standard 12th wheels it would be 156mm +/- i.e. too narrow.

The option front tires are a very good compound.

Pic of 703gr Race Ready RM-01 !
TQ and track record holder at our local Carpet Asylum
Option Fronts 47mm
Jaco Rear White 47mm
CRC Shorty 1s
Revtech 17.5 w/lightweight end cap
Old 02-27-2012, 01:10 PM
Tech Champion

Rather odd that Tamiya would make the rears fit fine but the fronts be way to narrow...What about with the CRC rims? They have a rather wide front off-set.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:19 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
Rather odd that Tamiya would make the rears fit fine but the fronts be way to narrow...What about with the CRC rims? They have a rather wide front off-set.
That's what I was thinking, but the big difference is in the rear offset.
There is very little difference in front off-set to all the wheels.
we're talking a few 10ths of a mm here or there, not 2mm per wheel.

Down the road Tamiya will have a front end/Axle that will accommodate std 12th wheels.
As it is now, the car is what it is.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:35 PM
Tech Master

I was thinking high grip fronts, and magenta rear for asphalt. You think that would be a good start?
Aside from the track width, you also can't raise the chassis any higher to accommodate the ride height for standard fronts also.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:13 PM
Tech Champion

I also wore out a set of kit fronts in one day, 3 practice runs and 3 heats (1 main). Rears hold up great and actually may have too much grip.
I've also changed to the option fronts, and rears,(hot tip Dave ) and they both hold up very well and also work great! I even have a couple long runs on asphalt with them.
I've run them for 2 full race days and practices on the carpet and they are still good to go. That includes the asphalt runs.

The kit rears have more grip and feel better on the asphalt but the option rears seem to free up the rear nicely for the carpet although the kits may be needed on the carpet for extra grip at times but not yesterday.

I picked up an extra set of front end parts so that I can mill/hack a couple mil off the bottoms in order to allow for more ride height so that I can run "normal" 1/12 tire diameters.
Another option discussed is to mill/hack the bottoms of the spindle assemblies to gain ride height but I'm thinking some grinding of the kingpins and shimming will come into play if going to extremes which is what I had done on my F103 with similar spindles.
Oh yeh, my car needs the Redbull Fixx diet in a bad way. His results were impressive and I'm not just talkin bout his driving cuz that speaks for itself.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:05 PM
Tech Champion

I was thinking high grip fronts, and magenta rear for asphalt. You think that would be a good start?
Aside from the track width, you also can't raise the chassis any higher to accommodate the ride height for standard fronts also.
Kind of depends on the track.
Some outdoor tracks work best with Synthetic type rears, like Yellow, or Tamiya Kit.
Some tracks work best with Pink/Magenta, or Tamiya Option rears.

At the tracks I've run at In California, like Camarillo, (Synthetic only), Tamiya same, NorCal, Magenta, or Pink.

Bu then again, the Tamiya HBR foam is a little different than anything else out there, and worth a try.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.